Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2017, 14:18   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Propane Stove/Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
.....Ooh! turkey dinner, eh? Well, our old Broadwater that I am soooo unhappy with will still cook a mean turkey, but only 6 kilos, not possible to go larger. I remember, as a child, my Mom could could a 12 k. turkey in the oven in our house. That said, it is still a treat for me to cook a turkey and have the leftovers. If cruisers are having Thanksgiving or Christmas nearby, I'm the gal who volunteers to cook the bird!

Cheers, mate, and enjoy your upgraded cooking.

Ann
Strange to hear that , I have never seen a Broadwater stove so I am ignorant on there construction and performance all I can say is they certainly look like a well built unit.
I was thinking of updating our Shipmate which is original to our Bristol and going with a new Dickinson Mediterranean. Not for any other reason but esthetics's. I am very glad I kept our 36 year old three burner Shipmate , compared to every thing I have seen on the market nothing is built as well . I just installed Piezo electric starters on all the burners . The oven works great as well . There are no thermocouples on the burners so a good sniffer is in order as should be on any boat with propane . After what I have read here, I think I will keep it for a very long time.

Regards John.

Old 23-02-2017, 14:51   #32

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No need of it since buying the Domitec.. But thanks for the thought. I honestly never thought of setting a pizza stone in the oven. Good idea..

Old 23-02-2017, 15:04   #33
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
No need of it since buying the Domitec.. But thanks for the thought. I honestly never thought of setting a pizza stone in the oven. Good idea..
Need a pizza stone anyway. How else.are you going to bbq a pizza next summer.
Old 23-02-2017, 20:06   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For the Cheap low or no budget sailor, and that would be me, I installed a Atwood RV stove to replace the then 42 year old rv stove that had been in my boat. The atwood oven has all the safetys of a marine stove and good temperate control, I can bake a trap of brownies or bread or roast and it's just like a land side stove.

Stove top does not have the marine safety burners, but I never leave the stove top on unattended. So not a big deal for me. Knobs starts at high level and rotate to very low, which stays lit unless the wind is blowing in the hatch way. I sometimes have to put two of the three drop boards in when the tides and winds are opposite.

For me the biggest benefit was the price, off ebay for $280, including shipping. Retail is $500 ish which is still over half of a "Marine" stove Plus I added the gimbals from the old rv stove. Had it over two years and still is a dream to use. A rv dealer sells newish atwoods on ebay as used. They were installed in an RV and owner wanted an upgrade stove. For $250 ish it's pretty sweet.
Old 19-03-2017, 17:23   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to egallina

I LOVED the Broadwater I bought for a previous boat. Pricey but worth it, IMO. Now I have a magnificent old Mariner Regal in my current boat/home - 3-burner with oven and broiler - from New Zealand (out of production) that is reliable, efficient and built like a tank (heavy gauge stainless, good seals and insulation). It's got some seemingly complicated technology with thermocouples on every burner, but is the Energizer Bunny of marine stoves. Any stove with similar tech requires holding the burner in the ignite setting until the thermocouple warms up to keep the gas flowing. It's a safety thing.

Tags
oven, propane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: