Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 09:31   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Propane regulators differences between the USA and UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Oh boy..

Most requirements for propane are less than 50 mbar of pressure, its marked on your cooker. I’ve had to do the conversion on my boat and in my case 37 mbar converts to .5 PSI. I repeat ..... 1/2 PSI. Two burner cooker with oven.

I discovered this the hard way by not paying attention to what the hardware store clerk selected as a new propane regulator. I then spent 30 days plugging every 'leak' around the valves in the stove when the 20 PSI regulator he sold me shot flames everywhere. Yes, I removed the stove from the boat before firing her up...but I still singed my eyebrows.
Actually most LP appliances on boats, run at 11-14" W.C. in the US to 30-35 mbar in the UK/EU. This is ~0.45 psig. At 50mbar your looking at 0.72 psig. That while safe enough andwould work ok, would cause incomplete combustion in the typical cooker/stove.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:25   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Actually most LP appliances on boats, run at 11-14" W.C. in the US to 30-35 mbar in the UK/EU. This is ~0.45 psig. At 50mbar your looking at 0.72 psig. That while safe enough andwould work ok, would cause incomplete combustion in the typical cooker/stove.
You're a Gas engineer? Where were you when I went through this?

When at the hardware store I asked for a propane regulator, and the clerk there selected one for me. I had flames coming out of every seal on my stove because I didn't realize the clerk had no idea what he was doing. I spent a week resealing everything and of course the very last thing I did was calculate the actual stove requirement. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was trying to run my boat propane appliances with the 20 PSI (yes 20...) the clerk gave me instead of the 1/2 PSI required.

I was pissed..but lesson learned.. and that's all I'm passing on here.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:49   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
You're a Gas engineer? Where were you when I went through this? .
Oddly I'm a general engineer, though I have designed gas distribution systems for commercial / industrial and general HP gas distribution applications. I'm also pretty handy with all things plumbing, fire protection, steam, hydronic, HVAC, fueling systems and a wee bit more.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 11:27   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
You're a Gas engineer? Where were you when I went through this?

When at the hardware store I asked for a propane regulator, and the clerk there selected one for me. I had flames coming out of every seal on my stove because I didn't realize the clerk had no idea what he was doing. I spent a week resealing everything and of course the very last thing I did was calculate the actual stove requirement. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I was trying to run my boat propane appliances with the 20 PSI (yes 20...) the clerk gave me instead of the 1/2 PSI required.

I was pissed..but lesson learned.. and that's all I'm passing on here.
There are a while plethora of propane regulators sized for low, medium and high pressures. Unless you specified what you were doing, many "clerks" might assume you wanted a blowtorch regulator.

Just recently I finished installing a permanent bulkhead mount for my Kuma BBQ, which I bought with a standard high pressure regulator, I am noow feeding this via a 4.5Kg calor ( mark 10) butane, with a 0-2 regulator directly connected to the bottle, the regulator is down down to about 10 psi and the BBQ is very happy. The quick disconnect bulkhead mounting ( Bullfinch) is aimed at the caravan market , but works really well.

Horses for courses.

dave
Old 29-12-2020, 08:33   #20

Just a quick add on

Chiqui at Tienda Reed arranged to convert my stainless steel gas bottles to American valves. He also sells the American regulators.
Very quick service and a perfect solution.

My current problem is converting my 5/16 cooker hose to 3/8 SAE Flare female to fit a Force 10 stove
If anyone can advise.
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, propane, regulator