Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 18:37   #1

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Propane refills around the world

For years I've heard that many countries will only allow filling of steel propane tanks, and that many a cruiser with brand new aluminum tanks are turned away when they refill in the middle of the South Pacific, or in Mudjagurdistan, or in newest-junta-of-the-month...

What's the real scoop? Are fiberglass tanks too new for world-wide cruising? What about aluminum? Does it help if I pronounce it "aluminium" in certain countries?

We're making final preparations, and I'd hate to end up with a fiberglass or aluminum mooring float...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 18:45   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
or in Mudjagurdistan,
Bugger. I need another $40 chart

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 19:19   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Some places will give your more hassles than others (I have a Stainless and an Alloy tank, both certified).

Seems there is always a problem when you use an agent/go-between who does know how to show the physical supplier, the certification stamps.

Whenever I can, I always go along to make sure and check the weight as quite often with new types of tanks they just under-fill them and don’t tell you.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 20:16   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I'm not trying to belittle your concerns by any means, but, in the unlikely event that you cannot get a cylinder filled, could you not just buy a cylinder locally that can be filled? Most places that fill cylinders also sell them. I just brought a brand new 5lb cylinder, filled, for about $40... maybe I'm not understanding the problem (it happens with me a lot).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 23:21   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
You wont get fibre glass tanks filled in New Zealand, Maybe in a year or two but don't hold your breath, you will get steel and alluminium ones filled but be sure to have compatable fittings or adaptors to suit as different countries have different standards etc.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 01:13   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
It's a bummer about the FG tanks. I have seen a video of one puposely put into a fire...no explosion. Like has been said before...it's a matter of time and then they will fill them. I'm wondering if you could fill a steel tank and make an adapter to later fill a FG tank back at the boat?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 04:08   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Yes but they would only equalize i.e. half fill!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 05:04   #8

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Is propane available everywhere? What about Natural Gas?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 05:21   #9

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
... but be sure to have compatible fittings or adapters to suit as different countries have different standards etc.
Is there such a thing as a universal adapter set that one can carry so as to be reasonably certain you can either :
a) Fill your current tanks anywhere
and/or
b) Fit local tanks to your current system
Old 13-03-2008, 05:31   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
The tank I bought in France could not get filled in Spain, the tank I bought in Spain could not get filled in Tunisia, Greece or Turkey so I finally threw the French tank away, and now the one I bought in Spain is going the same way,to the trash- This tank I bought in Spain (Blue about 25kl) is supposed to be an international one, and it looks the same as the ones in Turkey,Tunisia, but they will not refill it or exchange it, so now im buying a funky littly tank in Greece thats half the size and Ive never seen one like it before , so seems like if I dont buy it and refill it in the same country there all desposabule
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:48   #11
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beausoleil View Post
What about aluminum? Does it help if I pronounce it "aluminium" in certain countries?
Interesting fact Beausoliel. As far as I'm aware "aluminum" is about the only word the US hasn't massacred. Apparently it was the Poms (British) who changed it to rhyme with cadmium, vanadium etc.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 22:55   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yes but they would only equalize i.e. half fill!
A standard size cylinder will completely fill a same sized cylinder through an appropriate hose so long as the emptying cylinder is inverted and above the filling cylinder. I do this all the time since some bureaucratic jerk wrote off my aluminum cylinder because I had lost the "lie flat" documentation for it.
Old 15-03-2008, 00:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Interesting fact Beausoliel. As far as I'm aware "aluminum" is about the only word the US hasn't massacred. Apparently it was the Poms (British) who changed it to rhyme with cadmium, vanadium etc.
Actually, the mis-spelling of the word Aluminium, as Aluminum is a North American (USA & CAN) aberration (to which I adhere). The rest of the world uses the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) preferred spellinging, ending in ium.

Google:
etymology aluminium

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 00:40   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
A standard size cylinder will completely fill a same sized cylinder through an appropriate hose so long as the emptying cylinder is inverted and above the filling cylinder. I do this all the time since some bureaucratic jerk wrote off my aluminum cylinder because I had lost the "lie flat" documentation for it.
Great info...So to get this straight...you take the full cylinder elevate it (upside down) above the empty aluminum cylinder, and open both valves?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 00:54   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Actually, the mis-spelling of the word Aluminium, as Aluminum is a North American (USA & CAN) aberration (to which I adhere). The rest of the world uses the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) preferred spellinging, ending in ium.

Google:
etymology aluminium
You're probably right Gord (you usually are) but I was giving you guys the benefit of the doubt with the spurious "facts" as I seem to remember them from some drunken source. You mean you massacred yet another word? ;-)

Tags
round the world