Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 03:12   #1

Boat: Mason 43
Propane line replacement

I have owned Content for 10 years ad have had no issues with the propane system. It is a copper line that is heavily coated with patina, it runs from a stern compartment to a water heater, stove/oven, and a cabin heater. Total length of about 35 feet. My question is do I replace it with copper and sleeve it through the bulkheads, change over to a hose or leave well enough alone.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:29   #2

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'
Re: Propane line replacement

Any corrosion on tube or fittings? Any damage, crushing, cracking or kinking? Any odor? Is the line secure with no movement anywhere? Do you have a combustible gas detector aboard?

My boat has a rubber hose. It's to be replaced every five years. Had I a hard line, I wouldn't replace it without a specific reason.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:01   #3

Boat: Mason 43

I have a leak detector with 2 sensors that has only gone off when a battery over charges and gave off gas. No cracks or crimps or chafe in the line and all fittings get leak tested once a year. I just don't know if it has ever been changed in 40 years.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Our copper gas line is now 30 years old. It was fitted during the initial build and probably before the deck went on given some of the spaces it winds its way through. It would be a nightmare to replace.

I replace the orange flexible hoses at the bottle and stove ends every few years as they are dated in the UK, but otherwise leave well alone. There is a gas alarm fitted under the stove.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:18   #5

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

My boat was built in 1984.
AFAIK the copper propane tubing and fittings are original,appear in perfect condition & I soap/smell test annually.
I have never had a leak & see no reason to mess with it.
I check the gas alarm often with an unlit butane cig. lighter.

Len
Old 06-04-2018, 19:09   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
I have owned Content for 10 years ad have had no issues with the propane system. It is a copper line that is heavily coated with patina, it runs from a stern compartment to a water heater, stove/oven, and a cabin heater. Total length of about 35 feet. My question is do I replace it with copper and sleeve it through the bulkheads, change over to a hose or leave well enough alone.
Current practice would be to run three separate lines to avoid the need for T fittings. I myself would run type K copper of the smallest sizes that the chart will allow.

Whether the existing system is safe enough is a judgment call that cannot be made without being there
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, propane