Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2011, 15:00   #1

Boat: CSY 37' "Fidelis"
Propane Line: All Copper or Rubber?

Getting ready for a new oven... thought we should replace the old gas line from the propane tanks in to the new oven... currently have a "rubber" hose/line ... but have heard the some recommend all copper? Wondering about the vibration and/or movement on an all copper line perhaps loosening or cracking the copper...

Pray enlighten me... all ye more experienced types!!!

Regards,
Steve and Terry
sv "Fidelis"
wingontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:14   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Propane line: all copper or rubber?

I had a copper system and removed it when I overhauled the boat. It was all corroded and kinked from 30 years in the boat. Since the distance from the tanks to the stove was only 10 feet I used all rubber propane rated hose.
- - Copper is fine but does need to be very well supported to prevent bending as the boat pounds through the ocean waves. Unrestrained flexing will work harden the copper and it can split. Rubber hose does not have that problem although it too must be well supported along its run.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:19   #3

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

I used the rubber propane hose and inclosed it in the plastic wire conduit tube from home depot where it was exposed.
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:28   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Remove the old hose and tale to the propane shop and have them make a new one piece hose, complete with all correct fittings.

If you decide to do it yourself, make sure you use propane rated hose and have it pressure tested.

Copper as you surmised, will corrode and crack from vibration..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 15:31   #5

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Reinforced LP rubber hose, with factory furls, would be better than copper. I agree that running it through PVC or any conduit, for physical protection, is a good idea. A maximum "change out interval" should be 10 years, 7 if you REALLY want to play it safe.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 16:20   #6

Boat: CSY 37' "Fidelis"

Seems as though most of us are on the same page with this... we intend to order a pre-made... pre-tested Marine LPG hose from Trident Marine...

Thanks for the input, sailors...

Regards, fair winds, and kind seas one and all,
Steve and Terry
sv "Fidelis"
wingontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 17:46   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

We have nearly-all copper (the pieces just adjacent to the tank and to the stove are soft).

Our copper tube was placed inside of an orange rubber hose (LPG hose type) first, then place in the boat. No chafing then.

Also, sort of bulletproof leak-wise.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:03   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Recently replaced a kerosene stove with a propane one and had to run all new line. I used a pre-made one from Trident (about 20' I think) and it worked like a charm. So much easier than bending and cutting copper tubing, and easy to run through some PVC anywhere you are worried about chafe.
Old 28-03-2011, 18:56   #9

Boat: Columbia 41

I installed a new-ish propane galley stove. I considered copper but fishing it behind the liner and the hull would have been impossible due to the sharp bend necessary to get it started. So, from the solinoid switch to the halfway point is rubber hose from West Marine. Then we have a T fitting that branches to the aft cabin propane heater. The rubber line continues to the stove. You have to have a rubber pigtail there anyway since the stove is on gimbles. After two Winters I have had no problems at all.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 20:02   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
I installed a new-ish propane galley stove. I considered copper but fishing it behind the liner and the hull would have been impossible due to the sharp bend necessary to get it started. So, from the solinoid switch to the halfway point is rubber hose from West Marine. Then we have a T fitting that branches to the aft cabin propane heater. The rubber line continues to the stove. You have to have a rubber pigtail there anyway since the stove is on gimbles. After two Winters I have had no problems at all.
Not 100% sure, but I think that's a no no. I think ABYC standards requires one continuous line for each propane device with each originating in the sealed locker, i.e. no splices or connections between the locker and the stove or heater.
Old 29-03-2011, 04:02   #11

The T is bronze as is the branching pipe to the Shipmate propane heater. If you think about it, a separate line for each propane device would mean an octopus from the locker running through the boat. That would multiply the cost and installation time. It would also mean squeezing several rubber hoses into a tight space and multiply the danger from concealed friction and failure.
Old 29-03-2011, 04:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Doodles is correct - ABYC wants the line to be uninterrupted from the source to the appliance.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 04:07   #13

The word killith but the spirit givith life.
Old 29-03-2011, 04:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
... I think that's a no no. I think ABYC standards requires one continuous line for each propane device with each originating in the sealed locker, i.e. no splices or connections between the locker and the stove or heater.
Indeed.

Excerpted from:
ABYC A-1 MARINE LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS (LPG) SYSTEMS

A-1.9.3 Flexible LPG supply line shall be equipped with permanently attached end fittings, such as a swaged sleeve or sleeve and threaded insert.
A-1.9.4 Metal tubing shall be connected by means of flare fittings.
NOTE: “Long nut” flare fittings should be used. The short nut type fitting used in refrigeration systems can precipitate fatigue failure due to vibration.

A-1.9.5.2 A flexible LPG fuel line section shall be used to allow free swing of gimbaled stoves.

A-1.9.5.6 Fuel supply lines shall be continuous lengths of tubing, piping, or hose from the regulating device, solenoid valve, or leak detector to the appliance, or to the flexible section at the appliance.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 05:15   #15

Boat: CS36 Traditional

I too am updating my stove/oven and propane system and went with 20' of rubber hose to replace what I suspect may be a 30 year old hose.

I am also installing a propane sniffer. Does anyone have recommendations on where the sensor should be positioned?

Andrew
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote