Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 18:32   #31

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Propane line: all copper or rubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Generally the sniffer location is rather a common sense thing. Locate is below the most probably source of a leak such as below the actual stove/oven unit.
Yes, that seems reasonable.

One of the reasons I asked the question was because I was wondering if the sensor should be in the enclosed space that the hose passes through (i.e. in my boat it passes through the cockpit locker). I wondered if the line got cut it could leak and build in concentration without a chance of it being sniffed. Now obviously, there is greater chance of a leak at either end where it joins the tank or joins the appliance but that scenario makes one wonder.

Quote:
- - However, the Trident sniffers are "very" sensitive when new and also many other sources of gas/fumes can trigger them.
Which begs the question, how long does a sensor last before it is not functional anymore. Can one test them like a smoke alarm?
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 19:10   #32

Boat: Columbia 41

The key word in the regulation is the word "from". As Pressuredrop said you do not need two of everything. One Tank and One regulator is fine. But you need or should have is two or more sensors which can be hooked into the safety solenoid valve...

So we don't know from "from" or what the meaning of "is" is. You don't need two of everything but you do need two of somethings. Well, how about making good connections over the shortest run possible.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 22:17   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
. . . Which begs the question, how long does a sensor last before it is not functional anymore. Can one test them like a smoke alarm?
Mine lasted over ten years until I broke it by dropping the oven on it. However, the Trident systems have a "self test" button and there is a little red led on the actual sniffer to let you know it has power to it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:34   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
I wonder if in addition to the "big bang", could there also be the "big sleep" where one goes to sleep and never wakes up. Could the concentration from a leak ever cause one to asphyxiate or otherwise die from propane poisoning? ...
Propane gas, used as a fuel and aerosol component, is physiologically inert (non-toxic) at low concentrations. However, at very high concentrations it may cause narcosis and/or asphyxiation. Death ensues only when the gas is continuously inhaled, with the simultaneous exclusion of oxygen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Propane gas, used as a fuel and aerosol component, is physiologically inert (non-toxic) at low concentrations. However, at very high concentrations it may cause narcosis and/or asphyxiation. Death ensues only when the gas is continuously inhaled, with the simultaneous exclusion of oxygen.
That is probably why it is never listed as a risk factor. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14   #36

Quote:
Mine lasted over ten years until I broke it by dropping the oven on it. However, the Trident systems have a "self test" button and there is a little red led on the actual sniffer to let you know it has power to it.
I ended up purchasing the Fireboy-Xintex product (because it was the only product offered at my local store). Are there any differences between that and Trident?