Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2015, 07:29   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Propane Gauge

My recent insurance survey suggests that a gauge should be installed on my propane system to assist in determining if the piping has any leaks. Sounds quite like a good idea.

I searched some catalogues, and there are gauges that are sold to be connected at the tank prior to the regulator. Some catalogues do not say what for, others say they assist in telling if the tank is empty or near-empty. Since they are on the high-pressure side of the regulator, can they assist in determining if there is a leak in the line?

Are there specific gauges to be permanently installed to monitor line leakage from time to time? Where are they installed? What pressure range is appropriate? Who sells them?

Is there a thread on this elsewhere?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 07:50   #2

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Re: Propane Gauge

Yes, you want the gauge on the tank. You open the valve on the tank and then close it. Assuming there are no leaks the pressure will stay the same for at least a few minutes.
Old 25-08-2015, 07:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are many available of course, this is just an example to look at.
FireBoy - Xintex LPG Propane Gas Regulator

My gauge was pretty un-readable, I replace mine with a new reg and solenoid as it was also very rusty, but I'm sure you can just buy the gauge.
Idea is to leave stove off, and then turn off the valve on the tank, if the gauge shows a drop in pressure over a short period of time, then you have a leak somewhere between the tank valve and the stove off valves, pretty much leak checks the entire system.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:31   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Like the others say, it is great for determining any leaks. At first, I forgot to turn on the propane solenoid valve during the leak check, so I was only checking from the propane bottle to the solenoid. Maybe six inches. I now open the solenoid valve and leave the stove burners off, so I check from the bottle all the way to the stove burners. I look for any leakage every 15 minutes. At the end of an hour, I call it good.

I added this to my monthly checklist as a regular task to complete.

I will confess, when I bought it I thought it would help determine the level of propane in the tank. It's useless for that. Its only use on our boat is to ensure we have no leaks.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 19:41   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The way to determine if you are running out out of propane is to fire up the BBQ and put on a nice steak.
The propane always runs out halfway through cooking.
Don't ask how I know this.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 10:30   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Just to be clear - the gauge needs to be inline with the delivery system hose/tubing, i.e. between the tank and the stove. You detect leaks by opening up the tank to pressurize the whole line and then shut the tank off completely. The line should hold pressure per the gauge with the tank turned off. So it can also tell how much pressure is in the tank but most importantly it can detect leaks.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane