Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 11:10   #1

Propane connections for new cooker

Am replacing my tired Flavel Vanessa with a Dometic/smev Starlight 2 cooker. Looks great but does not have any gas hook up instructions here in the US. I see a metallic 10mm pipe at the rear of the cooker 2 to 3 inches in length and bent downward. SMEV is saying an adapter is needed
for use in the US with some of their other devices. Any ideas on this one-
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Junior sailboy
junior sailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:34   #2

Re: Propane connections for new cooker

There should be a flexible hose connection from the stove to the rigid metal pipe.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 01:41   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The easiest way is to use a gas hose connector which has a compression fitting comprising a female back nut, olive which screws onto a male barb connector. This compresses the olive to form a gas tight seal. The flexible hose is pushed on the barb and secured with a stainless hose clip. The other end of the flexible should be connected to the boat fixed gas piping, usually by the same means but there are other methods.
The flexible should have smooth curves, no kinks, not be at risk of abrading and be replaced after usually 5 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ha312-1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	148047  
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 02:51   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Safe Boat Propane System Installation

Hose clamps (Jubilee clips) are not allowed in ABYC US & Canada propane systems.
The low pressure line from inside the propane locker to the stove(appliance) must be one continuous piece of 3/8 copper tubing or propane rated hose. No tees or other fittings allowed until you get to stove.

The fittings used on the copper tubing are 3/8 brass Flare female only. Compression (furell) fittings not allowed. Hose slid over tubing & hose clamped not allowed.Even the barbed fittings with hose clamps not allowed.

It is recommended to use a short piece of ready made propane hose (complete with crimped 3/8 Flare fittings) between stove & copper feed line to prevent vibration loosening of connection.

If propane hose is used for all of supply line,it must have crimped 3/8 Flare female swivel fittings. Hoses can be bought all made up or you can have them made up with crimped fittings by a local propane supply house or an RV dealer.

At the stove,the inlet pipe is terminated with a 3/8 Flare male fitting & is already to accept the 3/8 flare female feed line.

Do not use any sealer or tape on Flare fittings. They are made of malleable brass & will seal tightly with a "twist of the wrist" using normal wrenches (spanners). Do not over tighten-you can split the brass nuts.

Test all joints with a sponge & soap.

Install a gas sniffer alarm with the sensor under the stove area.

Follow the other procedures in the above article & you will have no problem with propane

Note: Your stove sounds like a non-North American,so I don't know what size or kind of inlet fitting it came with,but it must be adapted to a 3/8 male Flare to connect to our ABYC system. Try to find the proper adapter to do this. Don't cobble it up. A leak behind the stove is very dangerous.

Hope this helps
Cheers/ Len
Old 19-05-2017, 03:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Junior.
Len gave you good advice.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 08:54   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
The easiest way is to use a gas hose connector which has a compression fitting comprising a female back nut, olive which screws onto a male barb connector. This compresses the olive to form a gas tight seal. The flexible hose is pushed on the barb and secured with a stainless hose clip. The other end of the flexible should be connected to the boat fixed gas piping, usually by the same means but there are other methods.
The flexible should have smooth curves, no kinks, not be at risk of abrading and be replaced after usually 5 years.
I would go to an LPG dealer and have them get you the right length, SS armored hose with factory ends.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:36   #7

Thanks one and all for the suggestions! The problem may persist for a while as I am going from the 10mm inlet to the 3/8" male and trying to locate the proper fittings, bushings, adapters etc. Any suggestions . . . .
junior sailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior sailboy View Post
Thanks one and all for the suggestions! The problem may persist for a while as I am going from the 10mm inlet to the 3/8" male and trying to locate the proper fittings, bushings, adapters etc. Any suggestions . . . .
Yes, see #6!

I would go to an LPG dealer and have them get you the right length, SS armored hose with factory ends.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 17:59   #9

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Metric to IPS (US pipe thread) adapters are available from:

McMaster Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-m...pters/=17p84bm

Follow the good advice here and don't monkey around with hose clamp connections. Propane explosions are all too common in boats. Propane is heavier than air, settles in the bilge, and goes BOOM often with tragic results.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:54   #10

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
Metric to IPS (US pipe thread) adapters are available from:

McMaster Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-m...pters/=17p84bm

Follow the good advice here and don't monkey around with hose clamp connections. Propane explosions are all too common in boats. Propane is heavier than air, settles in the bilge, and goes BOOM often with tragic results.
X2
Don't monkey with hose clamps on any compressed gas fittings! You will be inviting disaster. If you do not know what you are doing, get professional help.
Western Enterprises parts catalogues and info will help also.
Propane is not considered high pressure in the compressed gas industry but it can be 200 psi. Use a proper propane regulator at the source tank. Line pressures will be down to 5psi or less. Npt is national pipe thread or us pipe thread. Teflon on tapered pipe thread, not on flares !
Pre-made hoses are best. Hoses must be propane grade ! Propane deteriorates rubber . Synthetics are required. Ss braid covered are absolute best to prevent kinks and cuts. Brass fittings are used to prevent sparks.
Don't do something stupid that you will regret.
Take due diligence and caution, if you don't have a clue , get help!
That all being said, it's not brain surgery either. It's like plumbing, use the right stuff properly and you will be ok.
Work smart !
Old 20-08-2017, 20:34   #11

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

I agree get a hoes made up and the proper metric to American fitting.
I am putting a Atlantic cooker I have had stored for the Bombay and can not find a user manual online. I am not sure if it has a temp. thermostat on the oven or how to work it. Most of the print has been washed off. Dose anyone have a copy that can be PM to me. I would be very grateful!
RA
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 02:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytquest View Post
I agree get a hoes made up and the proper metric to American fitting.
I am putting a Atlantic cooker I have had stored for the Bombay and can not find a user manual online. I am not sure if it has a temp. thermostat on the oven or how to work it. Most of the print has been washed off. Dose anyone have a copy that can be PM to me. I would be very grateful!
RA

Hi. Is it a Dickinson "Atlantic" diesel stove?

http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/di...tic_Manual.pdf

What is "Bombay"? Where is TN? (Tennesee?)

Len
Old 21-08-2017, 06:37   #13

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"
Thumbs up Re: Propane connections for new cooker

Hi deblen, no, it is a Plastimo Atlantic made in England(late 80's). And the Bombay express 26' was made for 2 years and the molds sold to Island Packet to make the MK1. Yes it is Tennessee. Thank you for any help you can provide.
RA
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytquest View Post
Hi deblen, no, it is a Plastimo Atlantic made in England(late 80's). And the Bombay express 26' was made for 2 years and the molds sold to Island Packet to make the MK1. Yes it is Tennessee. Thank you for any help you can provide.
RA
Hi. I found this old forum with some info re Plastimo Atlantic "cooker".
Hope it helps. Note! The Atlantic did not have a "flame failure thermocouple".
A bit risky & may not meet current insurance boat standards.
Len

Plastimo Atlantic Cooker plea for help!!

Tags
propane