Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 14:48   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Problems with fresh water pumps

We seem to go through a fresh water pump about every one or two years. The past few have been Shurflo pumps with the latest being a Smart Sensor 4.0. It seems that shortly before the pump quits, we start hearing a high pitch noise whenever it is running, and then before long, the pump quits all together. We have started hearing the high pitch noise on our current warranty replaced pump signalling that it is about due for early replacement yet again.

I have replaced the wiring and the breaker with no luck. We liveaboard and use our water all the time since we both shower on board throughout the week. I think the quality of these pumps just can't keep up with what I am expecting.

Are there better pumps available that can withstand high usage for more that 1 or 2 years?
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:59   #2

Boat: aluminium twin keel, Laurent Giles, 62 foot
Re: Problems with fresh water pumps

I have the same problem and am switching over to this:
Rheinstrom Pumpen - Wasserversorgung

will let you know next year how it worked out
heintje23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 15:08   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We had the same trouble until we switched to the smart sensor pumps from Jabsco. They come in two sizes and we use the larger one. We did not have a failure since and that is from 2005 until now, almost full time use.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:29   #4

Boat: None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We had the same trouble until we switched to the smart sensor pumps from Jabsco. They come in two sizes and we use the larger one. We did not have a failure since and that is from 2005 until now, almost full time use.
Do you have a link to what you're talking about? Is it one like this: Jabsco 32600 Series PAR-Max 3.5 Automated Water System Pump

I'm looking for a new fresh water pump so I'd like to get one that will last me as long as possible.

Thanks
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:38   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I think a lot of freshwater pump problems are related to suction issues; clogged strainers, too small of lines, running the tank down to the bottom.

The other is the wire sizing is just too small and the pump always is running at low voltage. If your voltage meter on the control panel takes a big drop every time it runs the wires are too small and damn the voltage drop guidelines.
Old 08-07-2013, 15:11   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Blue stocking has ITT-Jabsco belt driven pumps on Pressure water, Bilge, and shower pump-out. I make all my filter/strainer assemblies out of PVC fittings, with monel wire screen 2 1/2 times the hose area cross-section.
Same pumps since 1996.
You get what you pay for.
Old 08-07-2013, 15:24   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I think a lot of freshwater pump problems are related to suction issues; clogged strainers, too small of lines, running the tank down to the bottom.

The other is the wire sizing is just too small and the pump always is running at low voltage. If your voltage meter on the control panel takes a big drop every time it runs the wires are too small and damn the voltage drop guidelines.
Err no all this shows is your battery hasn't much power. It doesn't show voltage drop to the pump

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 15:44   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toubab View Post

Do you have a link to what you're talking about? Is it one like this: Jabsco 32600 Series PAR-Max 3.5 Automated Water System Pump

I'm looking for a new fresh water pump so I'd like to get one that will last me as long as possible.

Thanks
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...231&id=1245018
Sensor Max: http://www.sears.com/search=jabsco%2...20water%20pump

The variable speed is the nice feature. Also allows you to remove the bladder tank.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 15:57   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

OP: Is the pump motor failing or the just the pressure sensor switch? You can test this by just by-passing the pressure switch and connecting power directly to the pump motor.

In my experience most failures are the pressure switch not the pump motor (especially those that occur over a short time period).

I don't like all the fancy new pressure switches. At home (all 12V, off grid) I run a good old simple mechanical pressure switch (like the type used on land based well pumps). They are bullet proof, and totally serviceable (unlike the effectively unserviceable fancy ones), and replaceable at nominal cost almost anywhere on the planet you can find a hardware store.

The pressure switch on the freshwater pump aboard my boat is starting to go and I plan to replace it with one of the good old mechanical types too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 18:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
OP: Is the pump motor failing or the just the pressure sensor switch? You can test this by just by-passing the pressure switch and connecting power directly to the pump motor.

In my experience most failures are the pressure switch not the pump motor (especially those that occur over a short time period).

I don't like all the fancy new pressure switches. At home (all 12V, off grid) I run a good old simple mechanical pressure switch (like the type used on land based well pumps). They are bullet proof, and totally serviceable (unlike the effectively unserviceable fancy ones), and replaceable at nominal cost almost anywhere on the planet you can find a hardware store.

The pressure switch on the freshwater pump aboard my boat is starting to go and I plan to replace it with one of the good old mechanical types too.
+1 on those simple mechanical pressure switches. Parallel set of contacts can be used for a warning light to indicate burst pipe or hose.
Old 08-07-2013, 18:14   #11

Burst pipe or hose?

Woulda thought more about a leak at a fitting. The pressure those pumps put out would rarely bust a hose. Or an I missing something? Been known to happen...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 18:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Burst pipe or hose?

Woulda thought more about a leak at a fitting. The pressure those pumps put out would rarely bust a hose. Or an I missing something? Been known to happen...
Anything related to a continuously running pump that would benefit from a remote indicator.
Old 08-07-2013, 19:24   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I like the Jabsco Sensor Max as well. They had problems when they first came out but the current crop seems very reliable.
Jabsco 12-24V PUMP SENSOR MAX 17 - 31755-0000

The Groco Paragon pumps are about bullet proof but expensive.
Old 08-07-2013, 19:32   #14

Boat: Prout 46

I agree with Don L. It sounds like you may have a problem on the suction side. Are your tanks venting properly?
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 22:53   #15

Boat: None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I like the Jabsco Sensor Max as well. They had problems when they first came out but the current crop seems very reliable.
Jabsco 12-24V PUMP SENSOR MAX 17 - 31755-0000
How long has the "current crop" been out? Also what's the difference between the 17 and the 14? The descriptions seem to be the same.

What about this one: Jabsco V-Flo Water Pressure Pump
If it does everything that it says it seems pretty amazing, but it also seems really complex with lots of ways to break down. So do the Sensor Max ones for that matter. What do y'all think?
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water