Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 08:17   #1

Problem with Cockpit scuppers Cape Dory 25

Hey all,

I recently acquired a 1972 cape dory 25 and just got her in the water the other day. We had some rain and I noticed that the cockpit doesn't drain. When I take apart the drain system water flushes out from the cockpit and up from the seacock, does this mean that the cockpit will only drain while underway? If so would I be better off getting a cover or figuring out some way to get the cockpit to self drain?

thanks
sbarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 19:02   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Problem with Cockpit scuppers Cape Dory 25

Don't quite understand your post but your cockpit drains should work at all times. I surmise you have a blockage. Try running a water hose down the drain. The pressure may clear the debris. If that doesn't work run a snake through it. That'll work for sure.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 19:22   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Water stands in the drain hose to the level of the boats waterline.

It will drain down to this level at rest or underway.

Sounds like yours was blocked; was or still is, not sure.
Old 22-08-2014, 03:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sbarringer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 03:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarringer View Post
Hey all,

I recently acquired a 1972 cape dory 25 and just got her in the water the other day. We had some rain and I noticed that the cockpit doesn't drain. When I take apart the drain system water flushes out from the cockpit and up from the seacock, does this mean that the cockpit will only drain while underway? If so would I be better off getting a cover or figuring out some way to get the cockpit to self drain?

thanks
Mine exit the aft end of the cockpit attach to 2 flexible hoses and exit through seacocks below the waterline.

They are notorious for getting blocked by debris. I have to backflush and or poke a wire up through them to clean them out.

Does anyone know why they would exit below the waterline? I am thinking of a future mod to just have them exit the transom above the waterline and do away with the seacocks. I am planning to enlarge them at the same time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 05:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Mine exit the aft end of the cockpit attach to 2 flexible hoses and exit through seacocks below the waterline.

They are notorious for getting blocked by debris. I have to backflush and or poke a wire up through them to clean them out.

Does anyone know why they would exit below the waterline? I am thinking of a future mod to just have them exit the transom above the waterline and do away with the seacocks. I am planning to enlarge them at the same time.
I have the same question about my boat. There must be a good reason why so many boats are designed this way, but I’ll be d****d if I can think of it.
I hate that idea that there are two holes in bottom of the boat for this purpose, which I can’t close when I’m not on board, and I hate my cockpit drains in general, which would hardly drain a sink, much less a cockpit full of green water. Even when they’re not blocked, which is rarely. I don’t know what Bill Dixon was thinking about when he designed this – it’s the only really glaring design defect in what is otherwise a superb design in all of its practical details.

I would like really big hoses – maybe 4” – right out the transom or out the topsides somewhere. There must be some good reason why was not designed like this in the first place but, as I said, I can’t think of it. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

To the OP: your cockpit drains are like most others. As someone said, the water will stand in the hoses up to the level of the waterline, and water should drain freely through them from a level higher than that. It sounds to me like your drains are blocked, as these types of cockpit drains often are. Clean out the strainers in the cockpit, then blast some water through them from a hose, and if none of that works, then as someone suggested, poke a plumber's snake through them. You might also check the sea cocks to be sure they are really open (sometimes the ball freezes and the connection to the shaft breaks, and it seems like they work but they are frozen in one position).

Good luck. Don't expect them to ever drain really well; cf discussion above.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 06:15   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Cockpit drains, unless they are on the fore 'n aft C/line ( and sometimes not even then ) are always a compromise. 9 out of 10, the leeward cockpit fitting is below the w/line, and when heavily heeled will back up water into the c/pit. In my experience, most boats under 50 ft have so little difference in height between c/pit floor and w/line that good drainage is next to impossible. A good pooping will let most of the water get to the bilges thru locker openings before it drains the c/pit.
Old 22-08-2014, 07:58   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

Mine drain above the water line, I can't imagine any reason for them to exit below the waterline, must be some kind of reason though?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:32   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Mine too exit above the waterline. They cross from port drain to starboard through hull and starboard to port. But my boat has much higher top sides than the Capri Dory 25. My cockpit floor is a good 2 ft above the waterline. Many years ago I had a 19 ft Cape Dory Typhoon which drained fine even with the frequent heavy rains of North Florida. If the OP's drains are clear they should work also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Cockpit drains, unless they are on the fore 'n aft C/line ( and sometimes not even then ) are always a compromise. 9 out of 10, the leeward cockpit fitting is below the w/line, and when heavily heeled will back up water into the c/pit. In my experience, most boats under 50 ft have so little difference in height between c/pit floor and w/line that good drainage is next to impossible. A good pooping will let most of the water get to the bilges thru locker openings before it drains the c/pit.
I have a pair of 2" drains in my 40' center cockpit, with simple ball checks (spaulding rubber balls in a cage) to prevent the backflow that Bluestocking describes. It seems to me that those ball checks are critical since the water level in the hose is only 8-12" below floor of cockpit without heeling. It is unnerving to see 2" hoses with standing water in them.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:51   #11

It all depends on the floor of the cockpit in relation to the water. If the floor is only a couple inches above the water line... it's hard to exit your drains above the water! Pretty much all my boats have exited below the water and water has been visible sitting in the drain hose/scupper. As mentioned the good scuppers have balls to check water ingress. I did cross the drain hoses on one boat I had... that way when heeled no water comes in.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 09:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

For those that did the cross draining thing. Did the heeling put the lee side drain (leading to the windward side) above the "cockpit" waterline and then result in no draining?

It's no better than a lee side drain draining under the water line that ends up with the cockpit floor below waterline but with this arrangement water actually comes in the boat from the drain.

Mine's never done that so my heeling must not go below waterline. Just wondering.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 09:31   #13

If the leeside drain allows water in the cocckit when heeled, then crossing may help... if the exits are far enough outboard....! If the exits are straight down from the cockpit floor.. probably not.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, cockpit