Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2007, 11:39   #1

Boat: Oyster 406 - Sakida
Send a message via Skype™ to Daymo
Pressurised Water System Problem

I Have a pressurised water system on my boat and fairly recently the pump started kicking in for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. This usually mens there is a tap dripping somewhere and needs turnong off. However, no dripping taps and I've been all over the water system looking for a leak, Ive changed the pressure cap on the hot water tank but the pump is still operating every 10 mins or so.

Does anyone have any ideas please

Thanks
Old 28-03-2007, 12:24   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
If you don't have any external leaks, it's probably the pump valves not holding pressure. The water just goes backwards through the pump to the tank.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 12:34   #3

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
You probably do have a leak somewhere - if it only comes on every ten minutes or so its not very big and easily missed. Try removing the hose on the pressure side of the pump and replacing it with a short, plugged one. If it does not come on after that, then it is a leak somewhere in the disconnected portion, otherwise its in the pump as senormechanico suggested.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:43   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pressure sensor, valves, pinhole...if there's an accumulator tank the air leak may be in that, check it out first. Other than that, hanging garlic on the hoses to ward off evil spirits often works.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 12:52   #5
cruiser

Daymo, do you have a ShurFlo bought last year? I have one that is doing the exact same thing, except it does it every couple hours. No leaks (all new plumbing and not a damp spot anywhere on it). I think seniormechanico has got this figured out.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 14:12   #6

Boat: Oyster 406 - Sakida
Send a message via Skype™ to Daymo
Hey guys,

Thannk you so much, I took the pump apart yesterday and found 2 plastic bristles from the brush that I used to clean the tanks out with last year, stuck in the valves. Ive removed tham and now no more pumping.

I have hung garlic also, just in case.

S
Old 31-03-2007, 18:31   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Stick a screen filter in the intake line to prevent a repeat. You'll only need to clean it about once a year.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:59   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I agree with Steve B’s use of the small screen filtre ahead of the pump (sanitize the metal screen, prior to first use).
I also recommend installing a three-way valve near the pump discharge. The third barb is open ended, discharging to the bilge (or a short pick-up hose), and allows you to bleed air out of the pump & piping, after a pressure loss (also, open all taps when repressurizing).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:23   #9

Boat: now floating easy37
i rather like the hanging garlic fix guaranteed to fix anything that is
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Northerncat-
I had a secondhand '68 Mustang, which sometimes skirted the concept of "Found on Road Dead". One day I take it into the dealership, and the mechanic opens the hood and see a ball of garlic in a mesh bag on the air cleaner. He looks at me and says "What's that for?" and I said "Keeps way the evil spirits". He just nodded his head and kept going. I've never met anyone who was SURE it WOULDN'T work.<G>

Good for computer networks, too. You run each network cable through a small pot with fresh garlic growing in it, and it strips out the evil bits coming through the cable.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote