Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2009, 14:48   #1

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Pressure Water Plumbing - PEX, etc.

Hi All! I'm getting ready to replumb my boat with PEX and I was wondering what size hose is most common for general pressure water plumbing? I figure most yachts are plumbed with either 1/2" or 3/4" ID hose... also, if anyone out there has used PEX, do you recommend the stainless clamp type, or the copper ring compression clamps for the fittings? Right now I'm leaning toward the stainless clamps. Thanks, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 15:58   #2

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
pex

I used 1/2", Chris, with the compression fittings. Worked very well, although the stuff is stiff and only bends in fairly big sweeps.
I had 1 minor problem last summer, wouldn't hold pressure, but it was because of a minute crack in a filter housing that I couldn't see, not because of any problem with the fittings. Tighten till you hear it creak.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 16:10   #3

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47
I use PEX

Gulfstar used 1/2" PEX or an equivalent in 1980. I have made some changes and additions to my system, but the original is still in service, and you can you use the new PEX fittings.
DirtRdEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 16:06   #4

Thanks for the replies guys! PEX it is! There are two swaged clamping systems I have my eye on: the stainless clamp, and the copper ring. Not sure which one yet...

Old 05-03-2009, 19:15   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I'm getting ready to replace my entire plumbing system, after thirty years. The PEX system, now approved for residential construction in Southern California, is nice, but getting the components in small amounts is difficult at local suppliers. Whale makes a similar, metric system, which is easier to obtain locally, so I will probably go that route. The polybutylene system, known as Qest (pronounced Kwest) is no longer being produced, though our local marine shops have the fittings for repairs. If anyone has a source for standard 1/2" PEX tubing (in less than full roll quantities) and fittings, please let me know.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 19:59   #6

Pex is available at Home Depot, Lowes and eBay now...all in small quantities. Home depot has 25' rolls of 1/2 and 3/4 plus alot of fittings. No worries mate!

Old 05-03-2009, 20:41   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Here is a pex job I did on the Island. Great to work with and 1/3 the time to plumb a house...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry's house 003.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	7322  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 22:47   #8

I have been lurking around this site for a while, but this thread needs this input.

there are a few diferent types of pex fittings or systems

!. whale, shark bite, other various names. these are the type where you push the pex pipe into a fitting and a locking ring clamps onto the pipe, using an O ring to make the seal.
2. zurn or other manufacturer- these types are the ones that use a crimp ring arouond the pipe at all of the fittings. the crimp ring is usally a copper alloy
3. wirsbo- this type is similar to the zurn, but does not use a cripm ring to make the connection, instead it uses the thermal memory of the pex and a small pex ring to reinforce the memory effect of the pipe. most fittings are made of an impact resistant plastic or for machined parts (valves, threaded fittings, etc.) usally brass.

while changing to any pex piping is a great improvement to your boats plumbing, I feel that it is not the best choice to trust all of your fresh water supply to an O-ring or a copper ring.

the wirsbo pex is installed by slipping a pex ring over the end of the pipe, inserting an expander tool into the end of the pipe, expanding the pipe, then quickly removing the expander tool and inserting the fitting before the pipe closes over it. within 60 seconds the fitting will creat an air/water tight seal to the pipe, even though you can still twist the fitting within the pipe to adjust the angle.

wirsbo pipe is not available at home depot or lowes, it must be purchased at a plumbing supplier. the pipe is about $35 per 100' and the fittings are about $0.25 each. the expensive part is the tool (about $150 + on ebay), but works great for streaching hoses to fit on barbed fittings.

* disclaimer* I do not have any connection to the manufacturer or dealers for any plumbing systems, I am a Building Inspector who has seen the product work in extreme conditions without failure, and I trust it with my precious water supply. this is the system I installed on my boat for my pottable water and is what I will be using to install a hydronic heating system later this year.

for more info on wirsbo pex goto:
Uponor - Plumbing Systems

joey
thefilthywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 22:58   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefilthywhore View Post
I have been lurking around this site for a while, but this thread needs this input.

there are a few diferent types of pex fittings or systems

!. whale, shark bite, other various names. these are the type where you push the pex pipe into a fitting and a locking ring clamps onto the pipe, using an O ring to make the seal.
2. zurn or other manufacturer- these types are the ones that use a crimp ring arouond the pipe at all of the fittings. the crimp ring is usally a copper alloy
3. wirsbo- this type is similar to the zurn, but does not use a cripm ring to make the connection, instead it uses the thermal memory of the pex and a small pex ring to reinforce the memory effect of the pipe. most fittings are made of an impact resistant plastic or for machined parts (valves, threaded fittings, etc.) usally brass.

while changing to any pex piping is a great improvement to your boats plumbing, I feel that it is not the best choice to trust all of your fresh water supply to an O-ring or a copper ring.

the wirsbo pex is installed by slipping a pex ring over the end of the pipe, inserting an expander tool into the end of the pipe, expanding the pipe, then quickly removing the expander tool and inserting the fitting before the pipe closes over it. within 60 seconds the fitting will creat an air/water tight seal to the pipe, even though you can still twist the fitting within the pipe to adjust the angle.

wirsbo pipe is not available at home depot or lowes, it must be purchased at a plumbing supplier. the pipe is about $35 per 100' and the fittings are about $0.25 each. the expensive part is the tool (about $150 + on ebay), but works great for streaching hoses to fit on barbed fittings.

* disclaimer* I do not have any connection to the manufacturer or dealers for any plumbing systems, I am a Building Inspector who has seen the product work in extreme conditions without failure, and I trust it with my precious water supply. this is the system I installed on my boat for my pottable water and is what I will be using to install a hydronic heating system later this year.

for more info on wirsbo pex goto:
Uponor - Plumbing Systems

joey
Well Joey...First I have to say..."Interesting Handle name you have" The picture I posted is Wirsbo. I had heard it was the best. I personally feel the boating industry will adapt this very soon..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 23:15   #10

I am sorry, I didn't look closely at the picture. yes it is wirsbo, great stuff, very few plumbers use anything else anymore.

my handle is the name of my boat. you can see a few pictures at http://thefilthywhore.us

I think uponor-wirsbo just has not realized the potential of the marine market.

joey
thefilthywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16   #11

Hey Joey! (notice I used your real name) I was planning on using the PEX variation with the stainless crimped clamp ring and ALL brass fittings. Is their any reason grounded in fact this isn't a viable system for yachts? I havent heard much bad about any of the crimped systems. As for your upcoming hydronic install...I had no idea that PEX was suitable! I am reinstalling a webasto 2010 system in my 42 footer, and would love to use PEX instead of "heater" hose. If this is based in fact, this is GREAT news! Thanks, Chris

Old 06-03-2009, 06:10   #12

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
Christian,

I would highly suggest that you keep "emergency" hose clamps with you. My boat was built with the Stainless crimp rings and not the copper go-no go rings.
The boat was built in 2007 and has had 2 of the rings fail already. Luckily I was at the dock where the loss of water was not a problem, just a heck of a mess. I had the dealer double check all of them, but I don't know if I can ever trust them now. I am honestly thinking about replacing them with double hose clamps.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:18   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Use PEX c/w Oxygen Barrier in hydronic heating applications.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20   #14

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
This youtube link shows the compression fitting very impressive. I am sold.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:23   #15

Boat: Cape George 38 ext, Curious George
The plumber I work with building homes did all the resarch and uses Wirsbo. Ask your plumbing supplier about proper allowable air temp when making connections.

Bill
bhenry is offline   Reply With Quote