Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-10-2011, 00:47   #91

Re: Pressure Water Plumbing - PEX, etc.

as stated above you I also either used a threaded to barb adapter or just clamped a hose directly on to a wirsbo union fitting. I elected to not use brass fittings except for threaded fittings. the EP (engineered Plastic) are lighter just as strong and not prone to corrosion. oh yeah, forgot to mention allot cheaper.

I would not use hose on the pressure side of the system, only between the tanks and the pressure pump. if your fixtures do not have a threaded connection, they should not be used with a household pressure pump (anything over 20psi) you can install angle stops (or straight stops... just a term for a valve that serves a faucet) or you can use the swivel fittings that thread onto straight thread (comes in brass or EP)

the wirsbo/propex tool is expensive but it is well worth it, I also use it to expand hose when needed. when using the white san/pottable water hose it can be used to expand to the next larger size if needed. (fitting 3/4" hose onto 1" nipple) when work picks up I will be selling my hand expander and going with the Milwaukee M12 expander for its small size and auto-rotation heads. I have already invested into the M12 series tools and have found them to be a excellent fit on the boat.

once you have to pex tool you will seriously think about upgrading you heating to hydronic.

Old 28-10-2011, 03:25   #92

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefilthywhore

once you have a pex tool you will seriously think about upgrading your heating to hydronic.
Exactly what I did! Wirsbo makes adapters which solder directly onto the copper pipe, allowing direct connection of Pex to radiators. Use the Pex with the aluminum barrier for your Hydronic lines...HePex I believe it's called. BTW, the basic hand expander is tough to use in confined spaces. Wirsbo makes a self ratcheting adapter that helps... http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Upon...pter-7920000-p. I just looked up the M12 tool, which was not available when I bought my hand expander, and it's definitely the way to go!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 04:17   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow

Nice to see your still around Chris.
Did you ever sell those amazing hawse pipes you were luckily enough to find?
Beautiful pieces to be sure!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 04:32   #94

after going through the literature at the uponor website I found out that you can use the aquapex for hydronic heating under a few conditions

1. all metal in contact with coolant is non-ferrous (meaning does not contain Iron, including stainless steel)
2. coolant contains min 50% glycol solution
3. coolant temp does not exceed 180 degrees Fahrenheit

I went with a webasto boiler (tls 17) which uses an aluminum heat exchanger, copper fancoil units and a custom t6061 aluminum reservoir tank. no iron in contact with the coolant.

in most cases the common parts which may have iron would be the reservoir tank (usually steel) or an expansion tank (if fitted)..... some radiators may be made of iron, but I dont see someone using it on a boat. if for any reason you have any iron, steel, or stainless steel in your heating loop only use the HE-pex.

when installing your plumbing and heating systems it is best to color code your plumbing, I used red for domestic-hot, blue for domestic-cold, and clear for hydronic coolant. this way there is no chance I can cross contaminate my potable water supply..... I also used all 1/2" for potable and 3/4" for heating..... kind of a no brainer, my domestic pump is 1/2" and my hydronic circulation pump and fan coil units are all 3/4"

either way, read the documentation for yourself and determine for yourself if you need to use he-pex

one more thing, the Milwaukee M12 propex expander is the way to go for boats, as stated above it is allot easier to get into tight spaces than the other cordless expanders and night and day difference from the hand expander. the m12 series from Milwaukee is much like the old makita cordless tools from 25 years ago. they take less space than the competitors product line and the M12 product line is still expanding with new products being introduced as they are developed. they even have a palm nailer(not that you get allot of use for a palm nailer, but who else has a cordless palm nailer?)
next on my list for the M12 tools is a hackzall (a reciprocating saw that uses a standard 6" sawzall blade) and the M12 inspection camera. if you have the camera, you will need the hackzall to get at the problems you discover with the camera. it is a vicious cycle
Old 30-10-2011, 06:13   #95

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S
Nice to see your still around Chris.
Did you ever sell those amazing hawse pipes you were luckily enough to find?
Beautiful pieces to be sure!
Nope, I still have them James! They're still beautiful too... but some mean person locked my classified thread and I dare not post again...we just can't be trusted... ;-) Back to the thread, it seems someone has an M12 addiction... ;-) Watch eBay, as there are TONS of M12 there. Great, now I'm an enabler.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:13   #96

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Maybe I could rent that tool from you Chris and get it to pay for itself. I'll be doing mine in a month or so..Martin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: