Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 13:34   #1

Boat: Grand Banks M/Y 42
Preparing a groco electric toilet to be left for the winter with the boat out of the

Hope you experts can help!

My main concern is how do I flush the pipe work with fresh water with the boat on the hard without damaging the toilet pump?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 15:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Preparing a groco electric toilet to be left for the winter with the boat out of

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ice View Post
Hope you experts can help!

My main concern is how do I flush the pipe work with fresh water with the boat on the hard without damaging the toilet pump?
It won't damage that toilet pump, because Groco doesn't make a true electric toilet...the electric motor only replaces the pump HANDLE on a Groco Model K (or an EB, which was discontinued several years ago). The pump is still a manual pump...you just get to push a button to flush it instead of pumping it. (Btw...the same is also true of the Raritan PHE II)

To prepare the toilet properly you need to flush the salt water out of the entire system--the intake line, the pump and the channel in the rim of the bowl...just pouring water into the bowl can't do that because bowl contents only go out the discharge and down the discharge line, they don recirculate--at least they shouldn't!--through the intake. So you'll need to disconnect the inlet hose from the thru-hull and stick it into a bucket of clean fresh water to which you've added a quart of distilled white vinegar. Flush the whole bucket through the system, then another bucketful of just clean fresh water. Make sure to flush long enough to get all the water out.

If the boat is in a climate where there's NO freeze danger, that's all you need to do...to the toilet anyway...you didn't ask what to do to prepare the holding tank, which also need more prep than just pumping it out.

If freeze is likely, or even possible, the final step--AFTER you've prepped the tank too-- is to flush non-toxic potable antifreeze ("pink stuff") through the system...stick the inlet hose into a gallon of it and flush it all through the system. Don't reconnect the inlet hose to the thru-hull...leave it off and the thruhull open till spring.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:32   #3

Re: Preparing a groco electric toilet to be left for the winter with the boat out of

Hey. What an answer! Thanks for the info I will follow your instructions and now I've got to ask. How do I prepare the holding tank for winter?

Cheers. Brian. No Ice.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ice View Post
Hey. What an answer! Thanks for the info I will follow your instructions and now I've got to ask. How do I prepare the holding tank for winter?
Kinda thought you might ask that...

Pump holding tank out, then rinse thoroughly to flush out any sludge. This does not require filling the tank and can even be done with sea water. Here’s how:

Put enough water into the tank via the deck pumpout fitting—because that sends the water into the tank at the bottom to stir up any sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be flushed out-- to cover the bottom to a depth of a couple of inches. Pump that out. Repeat…repeat…repeat…till you’re pumping out clean water. Then add water one more time and turn on the macerator to rinse it out along with the overboard discharge plumbing.

Alternatively, you can use a washdown pump to do the whole job. After you've pumped all the waste out of the tank, stick the washdown nozzle into the deck pumpout out fitting and turn on the water. When the depth reaches at least three inches, leave the water running and turn on the macerator and let it run till the water runs clean (it may be best to do this offshore outside the “3 mile limit”).

If the tank walls have become coated with the animal fats in waste, fill the tank all the way up with clean water and a gallon--even more--of liquid detergent...I like Wisk, automotive detergent degreaser works even better. Add 10 lbs of ice maker ice--the cubes are bigger and harder than bagged ice...go sailing and tack a lot. If you have the time, let the solution stay in the tank overnight...then flush it all out VERY thoroughly.

Oops...just noticed yours is a Grand Banks...can't do much tacking in one of those. Choppy seas work, though.

Now you're ready to add antifreeze to the system.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 07:32   #5

Thanks again Peggie for your wisdom. After I first read your reply to cleaning the Groco toilet I was amazed at your detailed reply then I realised who you were. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to marine sanitation and the forum is lucky to have you. I bought your book 6 months ago and have learnt a lot from reading it.

Thanks again
Brian
No Ice

Tags
electric, oil