Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 14:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Prep for ice box rebuild

It will soon be time to rebuild the ice box on my Gulfstar 50 aux. I call it an ice box because it has a drain tube....

Currently installed is a CU-200 super cold machine and a VD-135. I'll have to check on those numbers but that is what I remember.

The box has a huge double top loading door which appear to be well insulated. At least in the sense that the lids are at least 4" thick. They are 2 foot by 1 foot and hinged inthe middle so that only one side can be opened or they can be removed for full access.

The box looks to be about 12 to 15 cu ft or so and has an unknown thickness of (spray in?) foam for insulation. This foam is 42 years old.

The evaporator has almost no clearance on the sides. So the question is:

How much clearance is desirable around the sides of the evaporator? And can this evaporator be installed rotated 90 degrees?

Access for the rebuild is an unknown. If the cabinet facing can be removed (Hopefully likely) then access to remove the box and dig out the old foam will be somewhat easy.

The box (not measured yet) appears to be about 5' long, 2' wide at the top and 2' deep . It has parallel sides part way down then narrows down to about 1' wide at the bottom. Presumably for the hull curve.

Time to get out a tape measure and try to figure out the box size and how much insulation it has before ripping it all apart.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:12   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Prep for ice box rebuild

Good luck. It isn't a fun project, but I got huge improved performance. I documented my progress on a thread here about six months ago. Maybe take a read through it and see if you get any ideas.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Prep for ice box rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Good luck. It isn't a fun project, but I got huge improved performance. I documented my progress on a thread here about six months ago. Maybe take a read through it and see if you get any ideas.
Thanks, I've been reading through them all over the last week or so. Yours included as I recall.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild