Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33   #1

Boat: 1987 Morgan 43
Pre-treat raw water between intake and head

Yeah, I know... another head odor thread!

Following Peggie Hall's advice, I did the troubleshooting and believe I have the source. For reference, this is all new stuff - new head, new holding tank, new hoses, new valves, everything. It's also a sea water intake.

Due to the layout, we have a little longer run from the intake thru-hull to the head. From the raw water strainer to the head allows some sea water to collect in the hose (probably just a cup or two). I don't really have any way to clear it out other than disconnect the raw water intake and drop it in a bucket of fresh water and pump it out clear. This is very difficult to do because of the location and it would have to be done every weekend when we leave the boat.

Is there anything I can do like dropping something in the strainer that provides a was to control this? I was thinking something similar to a bromine tablet used in spas and hot tubs (but not a bromine tablet, that is probably trouble). I just want to "pre-treat" the raw water so when it collects in the intake pipe it won't generate smells.

I've looked around and can't see anything that might fit this need. Anybody got a idea?

I was thinking about the Odorlos stuff that's in the dry form. I can take the strainer apart and drop a little in there then do a quick flush to get it into the pipe. Opening the strainer is a little easier.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Pre-treat raw water between intake and head

I read somewhere about putting a penny in the strainer. Like copper bottom paint, it kills the growth. I've never tried it, but it's as good a theory as any other I've heard.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19   #3

Not a bad idea ... where does one find a copper penny today? I may try to locate one or something copper and see what happens...

Maybe some of this copper mesh. More strainer action and copper ions.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42
Send a message via Yahoo to Wakuu Send a message via Skype™ to Wakuu

Its not growth that's the problem, its all the little critters dying in your hose creating the rotten eggs smell. Copper won't help this issue, I don't think. I think the only way to avoid that is to either flush the hell out of it all the time, or use fresh water. I'm waiting for a 12V selenoid valve to set up mine with fresh water. I only forsee myself coastal cruising for a bit, and I have a 120 gal FW tank, so should be able to make it.
Wakuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59   #5

You're right, "Oh, no, not again!"

Kinda a Peggie Hall's Greatest Hits - T into your sink drain and be done with it. Not so hard.

Head Odors 101 Head Odors 101 & Fresh Water to Head from the Sink in the Head FLIX

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain: Head Odors 101 & Fresh Water to Head from the Sink in the Head FLIX

Head Odors 101.2 The Difference between KO & Odorlos (scroll up to Reply #2) Odorlos / Raritan - SailboatOwners.com

Head Hoses 101 Head Hoses 101: Head Flushing/Hose trouble
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakuu View Post
Its not growth that's the problem, its all the little critters dying in your hose creating the rotten eggs smell. Copper won't help this issue, I don't think. I think the only way to avoid that is to either flush the hell out of it all the time, or use fresh water. I'm waiting for a 12V selenoid valve to set up mine with fresh water. I only forsee myself coastal cruising for a bit, and I have a 120 gal FW tank, so should be able to make it.
Ugh, I think you're right. I am considering going to fresh water on it. What a hassle.

Some of the ideas from Stu's links are going into the mental hopper for consideration. If I can find a way to do the T fitting and just flush the piping from the head sink, that may be a good solution. We're talking sea water, not raw sewage, so minimal risk there.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42   #7

Boat: OVNI 445, 44'
Arrow Re: Pre-treat raw water between intake and head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwoods View Post
I just want to "pre-treat" the raw water so when it collects in the intake pipe it won't generate smells.

I've looked around and can't see anything that might fit this need. Anybody got a idea?

I had the same issue on my boat and tried lots and lots of 'supposed to be solutions'.
The issue with sea watter isn't just smell!
It also generates a lot of scale deposits when it mixes with what all of us drop in the toilets and this may lead to a complete clotting of the pipes.
The best way to solve this issue is to have a 3 way valve that enable to choose between sea and tank water to flush the toilets.
In this link you will find a drawing of what can be done to implement this.
I did it and it works well.
You may choose to use tank watter only when you leave the boat or permanently when you are at the pontoon.
The link will lead you to my blog that is in french but there is a TRANSLATE button you can use and the drawing is easy to understand.
All the best.
hanami2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, water