Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 10:20   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Possible to use one thru-hull for drain and intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I see no issue using your icebox drain thru hull for your salt water pump... as long as you're not cooking with salt water. I would avoid using an engine intake. I did that once and ocassionally air bubbles would get into the engine intake...
If I understand the OP's setup correctly, his ice box drain and galley sink share the one thru hull so plumbing his saltwater pump into that thru hull is really connecting his sink drain to his saltwater pump - not so good IMO.

I concur about possible air if using the engine intake.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:30   #17
Marine Service Provider

I hope that people reading this thread don't get the idea that draining galley sinks to head intakes is a good idea.

Actually, it is...although it's usually the HEAD sink drain and toilet intake that share the same thru-hull.

It's the toilet DISCHARGE that should never share the same thru-hull as ANY sink drink. It's very common for the head INTAKE and sink drain to share the same thru-hull, although it's usually the head sink, not the galley sink. In fact, some bulders even plumb boats that way 'cuz it eliminates a hole in the boat and also saves the builder the cost of a thru-hull and seacock.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:36   #18
Marine Service Provider

Scooter, I wouldn't recommend using the same thru-hull for both the head intake and a sea water pump in the galley...it's one thing to pull water to the toilet using the same thru-hull that the sink uses to DRAIN water...quite another to use the same thru-hull for water coming INTO any food prep area and also into the toilet too. It's just not safe IMO.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:38   #19

Boat: 1976 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
It's the toilet DISCHARGE that should never share the same thru-hull as ANY sink drink.
^This would be awful!

I'm am going to try pumping from the sink drain and see how it turns out. Wort case scenario, I'll pump some pasta sauce back through while doing dishes. If it doesn't work, I can always add a trough-hole next time we're out of the water.
-scooter- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Scooter, I wouldn't recommend using the same thru-hull for both the head intake and a sea water pump in the galley...it's one thing to pull water to the toilet using the same thru-hull that the sink uses to DRAIN water...quite another to use the same thru-hull for water coming INTO any food prep area and also into the toilet too. It's just not safe IMO.
Thanks for the tip. This isn't even really an option with my setup anyway as it would require running probably 12' of hose through places I could never get to.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If I understand the OP's setup correctly, his ice box drain and galley sink share the one thru hull so plumbing his saltwater pump into that thru hull is really connecting his sink drain to his saltwater pump - not so good IMO.

I concur about possible air if using the engine intake.
Ahhhh.... I see.. that would be yucky for sure.... My luck with trying to eliminate thru hulls has not been good. While I was refurbishing one boat I had the bright idea of eliminating a bunch of thru hulls. (boat had I think 13 nicely installed bronze seacocks) By the time I was done making it "simpler"..... I had hoses and tees running athwartships through cabinetry etc. I truly believe that boat was less safe when I was done with all those connections hidden away with stuff stored on top of them. Things no longer drained as well either.... Sometimes you can read too much stuff from seasoned bluewater cruisers! Ideas are easy on boats.... implementation is a lot differnt! I also had issues with plumbing a head intake from the sink in the head.... when ever I pumped, you could hear air gurling in the sink and the water flow was much worse. Fortunately that time I hadnt removed the thru hull yet.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scooter- View Post
Hi everyone,

I'd like to be able to pump sea water to my galley sink with a manual pump for times when I don't need/want to use up my fresh water. Unfortunately, I only have one through hull in my galley and it is currently the drain for my sink and ice-box. I know people often drain galley sinks to head intakes; would something similar work to pump water into the galley sink instead?
I would think your sink/ice box drain exits the hull above the water line. How will that enable you to pump sea water?
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 10:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
I would think your sink/ice box drain exits the hull above the water line. How will that enable you to pump sea water?
Mine is below the water line. Not sure if that's the normal way or not, but that's how it is.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:55   #24

Quote:
Hmm... just sorta assumed it must be below the waterline; also
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-01-2012, 10:57   #25

Quote:
Mine is below the water line. Not sure if that's the normal way or not, but that's how it is.
Ah Ha, for once my assumptions were spot on
Old 27-01-2012, 10:58   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. My IP drains are all above waterline. I did assume that scooter knew his were below waterline, but I wanted to make sure.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:03   #27

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. My IP drains are all above waterline. I did assume that scooter knew his were below waterline, but I wanted to make sure.
You were smart for checking, I was dumb for assuming but all's well that ends well.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:24   #28

Good looking out guys! The only thru-hulles above the waterline I have are for the bilge pump and the vent for the holding tank.

I'm thinking that if I put a screen or coarse filter in the pump line that should keep the incoming water pretty clean (as in no food particles). It might also be nice to have a way to purge the drain line in case things refuse to drain out.

Aside from recirculating dish water is there any other concern here? My main goal is to be able to pre-wash dishes, then I'll soap 'em, and rinse with fresh water.
Old 27-01-2012, 11:27   #29

Re: Possible to Ose One thru-hull for drain and intake ?

Two thruhulls in the galley, one for exhaust and one for intake, separated by about a foot. Works pretty well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 11:41   #30

Quote:
You were smart for checking, I was dumb for assuming but all's well that ends well.
Ever turn the water on in the sink at home while you were trying to rinse out the trap you just removed from underneath??

Tags
thru hull