Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 04:35   #16

Re: Portable through-hatch ac units

Honestly they make such small heat pump systems that they can now fit a whole unit for heat and AC in the size of a small under the berth or setee in its entirety. My ac guy installed my 16k unit in the 33 but he told me then if he had a space 20 inches by 15 inches and a foot tall he could put in a 5000 to 8000k unit all together with the outflow right beside it. I used my starboard settee to install my entire 16k unit so I know it works. Heck they even have units that will operate on 12 volt alone at 5000k. Surprised folks are not deeply researching the small size and availability of these water cooled units.....

33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2019, 04:53   #17

Boat: Island Packet 27

I recently purchased a Zero Breeze portable AC that was just introduced for camping. Runs off AC, DC, or a battery. It's not very powerful, but okay on a small boat for occasional use. This link may get you $100 off: https://zero-breeze.kckb.st/49f97c84.

brucebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 09:48   #18

Boat: 1986 33' Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokel View Post
I use a portable AC unit and vent it through the hatch. I bought a 5000 BTU de-branded LG for $100 and it works fine. The drain feeds into the bilge.
Astokel, do you have any pictures of the installation?
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 18:36   #19

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebach View Post
I recently purchased a Zero Breeze portable AC that was just introduced for camping. Runs off AC, DC, or a battery. It's not very powerful, but okay on a small boat for occasional use. This link may get you $100 off: https://zero-breeze.kckb.st/49f97c84.
How is the zero breeze working. Sounds like a great solution to cool down a small cabin prior to sleeping.
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 19:10   #20

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
They work OK, but are very inefficient, reason is because they are sucking the cool air out of the boat to blow out, so you of course have to have as much hot air leaking into the boat to replace what was blown out.
However there are two hose units, that suck air in one hose and exhaust out the other an d work much better, cause they arenít sucking in a whole lot of hot air into the boat.
Yes, I tried a single hose unit in my boat and it did almost nothing to cool it down. If the main body could be in a differently vented air space and the cool air ducted into the cabin it would have probably worked somewhat better.

I ended up getting a 5k window unit and used it in the hatch. Much better cooling than the larger single hose AC.

I pulled the inboard on my boat and am about to mount the 5k unit on the engine bed and to close off the space around it. Heat will vent into the old engine compartment and out the seat locker. When the companionway steps are in place it totally hides the AC.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:48   #21

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33trippindaisy View Post
Honestly they make such small heat pump systems that they can now fit a whole unit for heat and AC in the size of a small under the berth or setee in its entirety. My ac guy installed my 16k unit in the 33 but he told me then if he had a space 20 inches by 15 inches and a foot tall he could put in a 5000 to 8000k unit all together with the outflow right beside it. I used my starboard settee to install my entire 16k unit so I know it works. Heck they even have units that will operate on 12 volt alone at 5000k. Surprised folks are not deeply researching the small size and availability of these water cooled units.....

I just came across this thread and thought i'd add my 2 cents worth.

On Our previous boat, a Hunter 285, We used a 5000 btu window unit in a piece of marine plywood cut to fit the companionway. It worked great but made getting in and out of the boat a pain and we had to stow it to go sailing.

We eventually enclosed the "leg room" under the nav station and installed a 5000 btu Cruiseair marine AC with one vent and a return grill. That was a TIGHT fit. It worked like a sweet dream. Had to add two through hulls. Totally worth it! Its not a difficult install if you are handy.
Jim
Old 12-06-2019, 07:07   #22

Boat: 1986 33' Newport

If I might ask, what was the cost?
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:53   #23

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddiscenza View Post
If I might ask, what was the cost?

David, I don't remember now that was 20 years ago. However, it was not overly expensive because we did it ourselves. The big expense, of course, was the AC unit. We were hauling out anyway to do the bottom, so adding a couple 1/2" through hulls for cooling water was easy. The cabinet work was the most time consuming but it turned out nice.

If you can find a relatively inexpensive unit and pump the rest is not bad. Find a space it will fit into and modify it fit the unit.
Jim
Old 12-06-2019, 08:13   #24
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

for me mounting a small unit in the companionway (if possible) would be easier on the eyes. pain in the butt to remove when you go sailing but guess there is not an easy solution.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:24   #25

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
for me mounting a small unit in the companionway (if possible) would be easier on the eyes. pain in the butt to remove when you go sailing but guess there is not an easy solution.
I sit my 8000btu unit on a wood pallet (sized to fit the AC unit) with lifting straps on it. To shift it to the dock I hook on the main halyard and crank it up with the primary winch, swing it over the side, drop it on the dock. Easy Peazy.

Each year, when winter comes I manhandle it below into a locker where it sits until the next summer.

The max size I can put in the companionway and still step past it (to one side of the AC) is 8000btu. The 12000btu units are two inches wider and I can't squeeze by.

I don't want to give up interior storage for a built in unit. (cost too is an issue)
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:34   #26
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I sit my 8000btu unit on a wood pallet (sized to fit the AC unit) with lifting straps on it. To shift it to the dock I hook on the main halyard and crank it up with the primary winch, swing it over the side, drop it on the dock.

I don't want to give up interior storage for a built in unit. (cost too is an issue)

agree about the built in unit that you don't use in the winter. never thought about a halyard or outboard motor crane to stow the AC. sounds good (and simple) to me.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch