Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 09:36   #1

portable tankless water heaters

Hi, my wife and I just purchased a Cal 34 in excellent condition. Everything has been done except there is no pressure water supply, only the stock manual pump.
I am going to pressurize the system, and was going to install a 6 gallon water heater to run off the engine. The engine is a relatively new Yanmar 3 cylinder with fresh water cooling.
Space is kind of a problem and I was thinking of other options. This is primarily for my wife to have a warm shower.
I came across a propane operated(which is already safely installed on the boat) portable tankless water heater shower made by Eccotemp for camping, off the grid type work. It puts out approx. 1 ga. per min of hot water.
It sounds like a viable solution to happy wife,happy life. It would be primarily a cockpit shower but could easily reach the shower area on the boat.
I really dont want to fool around with the engine cooling system, and the average 6 gallon w/h is just one more system to maintain, and also has the potential to fail and overheat the engine.

Has anyone used a similiar system or can I get some feedback from the sailors who have more experience than me.

We live in SoCal and we are using the boat to visit the islands and marinas up and down the coast...nothing serious.

Thanks in advance for your help...It's our first boat,and I want it to be perfect.

Kevin&Bonnie
930chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:19   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: portable tankless water heaters

Here are some past threads...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-107585.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ter-85642.html
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 10:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930chef View Post

We live in SoCal and we are using the boat to visit the islands and marinas up and down the coast...nothing serious.

Thanks in advance for your help...It's our first boat,and I want it to be perfect.

Kevin&Bonnie
Oh boy... I think you picked the wrong hobby.... I would learn the phrase compromise...

Welcome to CF guys!

Where in SoCal are ya?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 12:35   #4

We are in Channel Islands. Between marriages, I lived aboard a Cal 29 in Alamitos Bay, and the showers in the marina were fine.
Yeah, I know perfectionist and boat are incongruous, but you know what I mean.
Gives me something to shoot for.
The portable shower in the cockpit(perhaps hanging the unit from the stern pulpit while showering, wouldnt be any more dangerous than a propane fired bbq hanging off the stern rail.
Anyway, I think I will pressurize only at this point, and look into solar showers, etc.
ocean is a little chilly here compared to the nice 85* in Cabo.
Thanks for the advice...I will check the archives next time.
Kevin & Bonnie
Old 25-01-2014, 17:47   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35

I have one in my house and nobody here can live without it. Never going back to a tank heater. Unlimited hot water, no variation in temperature even when toilets flush (not an issue onboard, but still), cheaper operating. Just exceeds tank heaters in every way.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 05:20   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Where will you store it?
Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater dimensions are 14.5" tall, 11.5" wide, 4.5" deep and weighs about 12 pounds.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:02   #7

There is a ton of room in the lazarets. When you are finished with it, disconnect the propane and water supply and it becomes a harmless, innate piece of equipment.
I'm really trying to avoid messing with the good juju in my yanmar repower, it's running perfect now and I don't want to put a weak link in the cooling system.
I watched several demos on you tube last night and it's definitely a temporary set and breakdown. I wouldn't think of permanent install inside the cabin, but can easily see it hanging from the stern rail at shower time.
Whaddya think?
Kevin&Bonnie
Old 26-01-2014, 07:54   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Here's where I stored mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H2O heater.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	74699  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 15:49   #9

Nice install! Now you've got me re-thinking last plan. Thanks for the photo...the hole in the cabin is already there for venting...couldn't be any more convenient.
Thanks,
Kevin
Who says it never rains in Socal...wet today.
Old 30-01-2014, 01:24   #10

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran

I used a portable propane tankless water heater designed for outside use that I got from camping world. I installed it on the back rail next to our life raft and under our BBQ grill. No problem with the heat next the LR or BBQ. It has been installed for over a year with no problems. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1391073776.498999.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	74962Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1391073800.957686.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	74963
rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 04:04   #11
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I just use one of the cheap 1 gallon garden sprayers and heat water on the stove. A gallon is enough hot water for a thorough shower even with long hair. My wife Kim (R.I.P.) had waist length hair and often had water left over in the sprayer when she was done showering. Cost $7
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 20:50   #12

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

I just hung the EasyTankless 101, same as above, but will do the plumbing this weekend. I plan to plumb with soft copper. It will run the whole boat including a hot washdown in the poop deck. I bought the vent pipe from the vendor which you must do because it is 90mm and that's not Home Depot available stuff (this only applies to EZ as far as I know), however, I'm going to test it unvented in the engine room and see how it goes. I'll try to post a final reply to the thread with results. Many folks swear by them and it looks to be a simple install.
Marpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 21:14   #13

BTW - Have any of you that have installed this system found that you need a way to direct the flow of pressure in your fresh water system? Like with a manifold to keep a good flow of water going to the waterheater?

I'm going to start my plumbing this weekend. Here's a thread:

Fresh H2O Plumbing Manifold: Build one or valves at service locations? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 31-01-2014, 21:39   #14

Boat: 1975 Catalina 22 swing - Calypso
Send a message via Yahoo to txtowman

I have a "Coleman Hot Water on Demand" unit it has been terrific for seven years. Not the best pressure but has never failed to operate perfectly. http://www.imarineusa.com/images/39123.gif
txtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 18:46   #15

I went with the Easy Tankless 101 and it has about the same measurements as yours, but I think the weight was a fraction of that - maybe 6lbs (but I'm not sure). The unit cost 144 bucks with shipping in the U.S.
I mounted it on the rearmost bulkhead behind the engine room on the backside where there is an anchorlocker for about 1/2 of the space and just access to through hulls, empty space in the rest.
I'm running soft copper pipes to it for the plumbing.
I didn't even need to vent it I don't think, just lift up the seat at the helm and you look right down on it. I can lift up the seat when I need to use it for long periods, otherwise any CO gas will be way behind the engine.

Tags
water