Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 18:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Poor Design of Whale Bilge Pump

Whale has been making that pump that way for at least forty years. Mine did the same thing. Wire brush bright, prime, paint, repeat every two years.
Old 25-02-2015, 18:07   #17

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Wire brush bright, prime, paint, repeat every two years.
Yup, same here, junk! Looking for a bolt on replacement.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 18:24   #18

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Poor Design of Whale Bilge Pump

Anodize it
Or
Alodine is easy to apply and will probably be just as effective.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 25-02-2015, 20:20   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Whale has been making that pump that way for at least forty years. Mine did the same thing. Wire brush bright, prime, paint, repeat every two years.
So the finish only lasts 2 years? FFS.. .

Anodizing the little plate will not solve the problem. the other valve seat, which is integral to the pump body, has the same problem.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 20:42   #20

I never even thought about mine. I took the one that quit first, apart and found out what was wrong and made a new valve plate out of 5200 and glass fiber. It never caused me anymore problems. when the back one went I did the same thing. simple cure. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 20:56   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
I never even thought about mine. I took the one that quit first, apart and found out what was wrong and made a new valve plate out of 5200 and glass fiber. It never caused me anymore problems. when the back one went I did the same thing. simple cure. Mac
Yet another!

I think we can safely warn people not to buy these pumps -- Whale Gusher Model 10.
Old 25-02-2015, 21:23   #22

Interesting design critique. I think that maybe the only thing more interesting would be for someone to step up with a better, more durable pump and the same price point.

Anyone with experience designing and manufacturing investment-cast aluminum pumps?

I have experience with the casting technique, but not pumps specifically. Seems pretty straightforward. I could produce something similar. If you have ideas I am all ears.

Otherwise I would buy the competition instead of complaining. Whale makes a respectable product with a decent design. It's a largely free market.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 21:37   #23

The Whale company, Munster Simms, was bought out in 2008 (the depths of the recession) by three directors one of whom became CEO. They borrowed a lot of money from the Northern Ireland government and expanded rapidly.

Then last June, the company was sold to US based Brunswick -- known for bowling balls, Bayliner boats, and many other brands. I expect the owners did well in the sale.

I have owned Whale pumps for 40 years but have noticed a decline in quality. Now that I think about it, from about 2008.

This sort of consolidation is good for stockholders but rarely for customers. It's also happening a lot in the marine industry. Mainesail posted last fall that Marinco acquired Blue Sea Systems.

It would be interesting to compare a 10 year old Whale Titan pump with a new one on the shelves.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 22:52   #24

If you gave me money to design a similar pump I would take your money, laugh, then give you a copy or near facsimile. Why reinvent the wheel?

In forty years hand operated pumps won't look any different. Just how it goes. If there was room for improvement in the design, it would have happened long ago. No such thing as a patent on a flapper valve same as you can't push on a rope!

Nothing wrong with the design. Materials and manufacturing, well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	97939  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 23:47   #25

Boat: Aloha 34

I have the exact same problem with mine. Choosing to use aluminum for the rubber flaps' seating surface certainly wasn't a good design choice. I've tried resurfacing mine with epoxy but haven't had luck yet. I'll probably check my intake hose more thoroughly before I throw it out though.
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 01:02   #26

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Get a nice smooth piece of black plastic of the correct thickness..plenty to choose from. Use the old part as a template and cut out with a fine blade band saw. Use a sharp new drill bit for any holes. No corrosion. No big expenses. If it works okay, problem solved.
An another alternative is find someone that does 3D printing and print one out of plastic.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 01:20   #27

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Is it just me thats having a de javu moment all over again? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-101919.html
Old 26-02-2015, 02:19   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Is it just me thats having a de javu moment all over again? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-101919.html
Hah, exactly!! And the inside of my pump looks exactly like that!

It seems to be a universal problem -- this is just a bad design.

And most of the guys on that thread seem to have decided to toss the Gusher 10 and go with some kind of plastic pump.

I can't do that right now, because I have too many other things to do right now without a project of recutting holes in the cockpit floor, trying to mount a different bracket, etc., but I guess it will he on the list for next year.

I will try to refinish the valve seats somehow to get through this year at least.

So what should I use? Epoxy? Zinc chromate primer then paint?
Old 26-02-2015, 03:06   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

All aluminum pumps suffer this fate. We purchase aluminum pumps because if they were made of titanium the price would be $2,000.00. Plastic pumps seem like a good alternative but they may not be compatible with some solvents so check before going that route.

If you have an aluminum emergency manual pump there are a few rules of use. First, don't use it unless it is an emergency. This one simple rule will solve many problems. Second, if you use it to pump salt water then as soon as possible thereafter disassemble the pump and give it a thorough flushing with fresh water. Remove the flapper seal plate(s) too and clean thoroughly. Reinstall using Lanocote on the screws.

Also, budget to replace this pump every 5-7 years. That's about how long they last waiting to be used.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 03:18   #30

Boat: Valiant 42

What should appear in my inbox not 15 minutes after the previous post but an advert for a new design Edson emergency manual pump. http://www.edsonmarine.com/products/...Mount_Pump.pdf

Price.....drum roll please... $999.00.

Body is bronze with stainless details. Should last a long time.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump