Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 14:46   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Polypropylene Adhesives Revisited

I am resealing a leak at the top of my port 75 gallon polypropylene water tank. With some contorsion I have access to the problem spot, but I will not be able to use two-handed tools or heat guns. This will be a repatch of a location that has an aluminum flange over the corner of the tank covering the crack that had be successfully sealed before the purchase of my boat 27 years ago. Compressed under the flange is a material that appears to be 5200. Although this would not have thought to have been effective the crack is located at the top of the tank with little pressure and the 5200 had been compressed againt the tank under the aluminum. Regardless, at each filling I now have a small amount of water running out upon my aft cabin teak & holly floor. My back up solution will be to view the tank at fillings and not wait for the water to exit the vent; however, I would still have a problem on a starboard tack. When searching old post I found the best advice for my application might be 3M's DP8005 (methylcrylate) which I could mix (two part) and jam under the plate and press into the crack with a spatula. I've already removed most of the 5200 and wire brushed the polyprolene. I will use an acetone wipe before application. So, the 3M DP8005 was posted advice from a coupe years ago. Hsa anyone found a newer effecive application that I could apply with my limited access?
Old 25-10-2012, 15:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Polypropylene Adhesives Revisited

ADHESIVES FOR THE ASSEMBLY OF HARD-TO-BOND PLASTICS
http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_d...tics756739.pdf

Tam Tech Polypropylene, Polyethylene Adhesive
Polypropylene Adhesive and Glue, Polyethylene Adhesive and Glue, Tam Tech Adhesives and Glues.

Reltek “BONDiT”
ADHESIVES for POLYPROPYLENE

3M’s Scotch-WeldTM DP-8005 is a solvent-free, two-part, acrylic-based, structural plastic adhesive designed to structurally bond polyolefins to themselves and to many other substrates. It uses a one-step process that requires no pre-treatment of the substrates other than removing dirt and oil.
Stealth 316 - Sealing and Bonding Polypropylene and Polyethylene
http://solutions.3m.com.au/3MContent...bute=ImageFile
On-line Product Catalog:*3M

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 15:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Polypropylene Adhesives Revisited

Thanks, Gord May, I'd seen these suggestions in the older posts and was thinking of the BONDiT as an option, but the 3M DP8005 seems my likely choice without new information..

Tags
adhesive