Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2008, 09:40   #1

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Question Plumbing new water tank intakes, questions

Hi all, replacing my Endeavour 40 water tank ( a foreward aluminum tank that I had to cut out, with 3 seperate poly tanks ( have to be s eperate for installation and to get them in the boat) and I have some questions.

The original tanks have to seperate deck fills, one to each tank. Since I would now have 4 tanks, I don't want to do that if possible, so what is the best way to ensure that all 3 tanks would be filled from one deck fill ?
2 tanks would be port and starboard 22 gal. tanks, and one would be a 30 gal. tank in the middle, but shorter. If I place a 1.5" fill hose to the first one, would they fill properly with hoses placed in the ends of the tanks ? I plan to place vents of course, and wonder if 5/8 " vents would be enough.

I also thought of using a pump to transfer water between them. I plan on using ferriello tank monitors, or I have a tank tender I could use.
Marine Holding Tank Monitoring Systems

Other question is has anyone used whale quick connects and whale 15mm hose for their plumbing systems? I am replacing most of the hose, and this looks interesting.

Comments please.
Thanks, Bob.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:14   #2

If you are saying you have one fill and would connect the tanks in series with a hose, that should work as long as you have a vent on each tank. if the connecting hoses are at the top and only 1/2 or 5/8, then you might have issues with slow filling as water may come out the vent before it can get to the next tank. If the connecting hoses are from the botttom of the tank, then should all fill at the same time.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:52   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you are saying you have one fill and would connect the tanks in series with a hose, that should work as long as you have a vent on each tank. if the connecting hoses are at the top and only 1/2 or 5/8, then you might have issues with slow filling as water may come out the vent before it can get to the next tank. If the connecting hoses are from the botttom of the tank, then should all fill at the same time.

I don't think putting the fill lines in the bottom of the tank will work. A series of Y fittings in the fill line to the top of each tank will probably work but you may have some overfill from the full tanks vents while the others are still filling.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 18:38   #4

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking of putting large 2" connectors on each end of the tank, at the bottoms, and one at the top in the middle, alonge with vent lines as well to ensure the tanks fill, then drawing off the middle tank which would be the deepest.

The alternative is of course to have seperate fills for each tank, that would be 3 more holes in the deck.....

I am trying to maximize water tankage, so I want the tanks to be as deep as possible, just under the sole, so there would be no room for elbows and fill hose.
Old 30-10-2008, 08:10   #5

That should work fine. I would put a vent on each tank for sure. 2" connectors is probably overkill, the tanks only need to equalize at the rate you can fill, which is likely a garden hose, so anything 1/2" or larger should be fine. Standard fill fittings will accept 1.5".
Old 30-10-2008, 17:55   #6

Yeah, cheeckhako you are correct. talked to rich at ronco tanks today and he recomended 1.5" hose. So that should do it.
Thanks.
bob
Old 31-10-2008, 08:22   #7

bargain alert... Galley Faucet.

Well, I cant find the "new thread" icon again so I'll post this here as it's related to fresh water. West Marine is blowing out galley sink faucets. I just bought a very nice, chromed solid brass single stem one for $24.66 It delivered in 2 days. It has the high arching spout that works well with Galley sinks and comes with braided SS connection hoses. Not one of those cheap lightweight faucets at all. It was a few days ago they sent me an email though. Galley Mixer, 2.45" x 10.2" x 15.8" ABRAFOX 99M V51J11D-E 5473400 In Stock $24.66 USD