Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 11:49   #31

Boat: 1950's Lakes Cruiser
Re: Perkins 4.108 Over Heating

Thank you all for the info - I took the heat exchanger apart on the week end and there was very little blockage in the tubes but lots and lots of rust between the tubes - I have read in this forum to clean with muriatic acid - is there any other way of cleaning and getting rid of scale without using this dangerous stuff ???? - MVR
MV-Romnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51   #32

Boat: csy 37

my heat exchanger is made of brass. shouldn't rust. if yours is rusting it may be time to consider a new heat exchanger. the walls and tubes of the heat exchanger are fairly thin and might rupture with enough rust holes. then you'll be mixing raw salt water with engine coolant. not a good situation.

just my two cents....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-Romnya View Post
Thank you all for the info - I took the heat exchanger apart on the week end and there was very little blockage in the tubes but lots and lots of rust between the tubes - I have read in this forum to clean with muriatic acid - is there any other way of cleaning and getting rid of scale without using this dangerous stuff ???? - MVR
If you've got the tube bundle out, take it to a radiator shop for cleaning. Considering your description, it seems you need a good flush of the fresh water side of your cooling system, if not several, to remove rust/debris from the block/cooling galleries of the engine. Most anti-freeze/coolant has a rust inhibitor but if the engine was operated with very old coolant, or little or none, rust will form in the galleries sooner or later and will prevent the heat exchanger for functioning properly. Cleaning/flushing the engine will make3 a world of difference.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 13:18   #34

Thanks onestepcsy37 - hadn't had a chance to take it apart yet but when flushing HX some real brown water came out and out and out - I've asked if I can do the cleaning myself but soaking in muriatic acid - because where we are in Australia not many people know about heat exchangers - MVR
Old 30-09-2012, 03:51   #35

Thank You all for your help - went down to the boat this weekend and did what all of you suggested - presto it worked the engine is running just above 80 c not 120 c - I wish I can buy you all a beer - you deserve it - now for my next problem plugging redundant seacocks while in situ - any suggestions - I know most of you will be tucking in for the winter and here down under we are gearing up for the summer - looking for help - MVR
Old 30-09-2012, 12:04   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!

Tags
heating, perkins