Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 20:42   #1

Boat: YS 35'
PAR Model 36970-1000 water pump

This is a new to me boat and I am learing lots. First order of business has been to clean and clean and then clean some more. The boats water pump has worked well until today.

The pump model goes on to say 12volt, 5 amp, 2.8 gpm. It also lists the initials ITT and the name Jabsco Products.

So the pump suddenly began to run with no water coming out of the faucets.
Inspecting it I see a motor turned shaft that has what basically looks like the arm of a piston that is part of what appears to be a rubber diaphram on the top side of the pump housing/body.

The motor shaft has a set screw that I think would or should set against the flat side of the motor arm thereby securing the "piston" arm to the shaft that would accuate the diaphram and deliver water to the faucets.

When I turn on the switch- the motor continues to run but the diaphram arm does not accuate and no water is delivered.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? The set screw was tight on inspection. I have since loosened it and am wondering if it somehow became no longer "set" to the flat side of the motor shaft. In my limited time I had I really could not find the flat spot to try and reset the screw. I have not removed the pump as I was out of time. This may be the best approach and when removed I should be able to set the screw and also service the pump if needed. My concern is - could there be more trouble inside the diaphram ?
Any advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks Randy
RLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 22:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: PAR Model 36970-1000 water pump

Replace it. Then take the old one apart on your bench at your leisure and see if you can figure it out. If you do, then you've got a spare.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 22:07   #3

So would you replace the entire motor and pump assembly? Seems like the actual motor runs fine.
I appreciate you thoughts.
Randy
Old 02-12-2012, 22:36   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I couldn't find a parts list for your pump but I'm familiar with that type of pump.
Some of these pumps have a drive belt and others use an excentric right on the end of the motor shaft to cause the piston rod to go up and down. It sounds like yours is the excentric on shaft type. It is not uncommon for the top of the piston rod to wear where the excentric mates with it. If this happens the motor will run but the piston won't go up and down.
Try to pull the piston rod off the excentric. If it comes off easily it's probably pretty worn. The fix is to replace the rod and excentric which are sold as a set.

If the set screw, that holds on the excentric, is loose, the motor shaft can be damaged. You just need to take things apart until you find the problem. When you reassemble the pump, be very careful not to over tighten any screws that go into the plastic body of the pump. It will crack very easily.
Old 02-12-2012, 22:42   #5

Great thanks !! very helpful information. And yes- I definitely have the eccentric rod style. I have been surfing the web and found a repair kit that has a new rod among other parts so will get that ordered.

Thansk again Randy
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLewis View Post
This is a new to me boat and I am learing lots. First order of business has been to clean and clean and then clean some more. The boats water pump has worked well until today.

The pump model goes on to say 12volt, 5 amp, 2.8 gpm. It also lists the initials ITT and the name Jabsco Products.

So the pump suddenly began to run with no water coming out of the faucets.
Inspecting it I see a motor turned shaft that has what basically looks like the arm of a piston that is part of what appears to be a rubber diaphram on the top side of the pump housing/body.

The motor shaft has a set screw that I think would or should set against the flat side of the motor arm thereby securing the "piston" arm to the shaft that would accuate the diaphram and deliver water to the faucets.

When I turn on the switch- the motor continues to run but the diaphram arm does not accuate and no water is delivered.

Any thoughts as to what is going on? The set screw was tight on inspection. I have since loosened it and am wondering if it somehow became no longer "set" to the flat side of the motor shaft. In my limited time I had I really could not find the flat spot to try and reset the screw. I have not removed the pump as I was out of time. This may be the best approach and when removed I should be able to set the screw and also service the pump if needed. My concern is - could there be more trouble inside the diaphram ?
Any advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks Randy
The Par Model 36970-1000 is a very simple yet robust pump. It consists of the rubber diaphram powered by the reciprocating plunger, two simple "flap" valves that face in opposit directions from one another, and a small rubber "pulse damper" that rests on a stainless steel backing plate on the bottom of the pump. If the pump is running intermittantly when no fixtures are opened and one is sure one does not have any leaks on the pressure side of the pump circuit, it is likely that either the pressure switch is defective or, more liekly, that the flap valve on the pressurized side of the pump has weakened/failed and is allowing water the bleed back into the suppply chamber. Details of the pump can be see (click-on) HERE . Repair parts are inexpensive and can be obtained at (click on) Depco Pump . (BTDT)

One change you can make that is helpful is to us a 20 PSI rather than the more common 40 PSI pressure switch. It does not reduce the flow rate at the fixtures but does reduce the pressure loads on the seal seams.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, water