Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 08:35   #1

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Organizing Ice Box

I own a CS30 with a refrigerated ice box. I am looking for some ideas on organizing the ice box with either storage bins or pull out baskets. Right now it is an empty deep space and it seem like what you are looking for (beer) always seems to be at the bottom.

Any ideas??
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:47   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Organizing Ice Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
I own a CS30 with a refrigerated ice box. I am looking for some ideas on organizing the ice box with either storage bins or pull out baskets. Right now it is an empty deep space and it seem like what you are looking for (beer) always seems to be at the bottom.

Any ideas??
We use these stacking baskets with holes in the sides in our top-loading ice box.

The Boat Galley has a series of articles on this topic that may be informative.

For beer, we are preparing to make a couple of vertical tubes out of ~3" PVC pipe [the lightweight stuff with holes in it used for drainage...] We will mount them vertically in the ice box, and attach a piece of 1" webbing on one side. The idea is the webbing will be under the beers you load into this 'launcher', and the webbing is long enough to stick out the top when your beer launcher it is fully loaded. Pull the webbing to raise the next [cold] beer to the top... [Conceptually this is sort of like the ribbons under batteries in smoke alarms, etc.]

I doubt we are the first to think of this approach, and we haven't done this yet... Therefore, it is just a concept for us at this time...

Best wishes getting yourself organized. At least you have your priorities straight [make beer conveniently accessible...]

Cheers! Bill
Old 08-08-2016, 08:50   #3

wrwakefield thanks for the info. The stacking baskets was one of our discussions however I really like the beer tube idea.
Old 09-08-2016, 18:18   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Don't know if you are a carnivore - or vegan.

But one way to help "organize" a fridge/freezer/ice box is to move product out of it - and on to the dry locker/shelf. Leaves more space for that important - beverage...

Learn the old tradition of home canning with a good pressure cooker. Store those meals/meats/vege on the shelf and follow proper procedure and you'll more than double your "effective" cold space. OR - be prepared when the system (inevitably) goes down to save your stores.

Heaps of good and tasty options on the old interweb.

Cheers - Jim
Laughing Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 19:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

I've learned from years of owning a chest freezer and a fridge with a bottom freezer that it really doesn't matter how you organize it, whatever you want will always be on the bottom. If it wasn't on the bottom the last time you were in the box, searching for whatever you were after then put it on the bottom.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:36   #6

All great advise and thanks. Being weekend and holiday cruisers we decided to organize with removable bins. For the most part we are going to keep beverages in a separate cooler with ice which in most cases will last the weekend although, it is important to have a cold one ready when you get to the boat. I was curious to hear from others and glad I asked because the tube for beverage idea is a good one.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:10   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Ditto the "Beerevator" Best thing we did to the refer, apart from converting from engine-driven to 12 volt...
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I've learned from years of owning a chest freezer and a fridge with a bottom freezer that it really doesn't matter how you organize it, whatever you want will always be on the bottom. If it wasn't on the bottom the last time you were in the box, searching for whatever you were after then put it on the bottom.
That is why the stacking baskets work so well, instead of pulling 20 items out, you pull a couple of baskets. A shelf is nice too
I just leave the beer in the 12 packs it comes in and cut the top off, I am not a can beer drinker.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote