Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Re: Optimaax Watermaker

Do you really want to run your engine during the entire time that you want to make water, each and every time you make water? I don't know, I'm just asking... It is a very rare thing that I have to run my engine while at anchor because of my solar.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:15   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

I'm assuming since you also mentioned charging your batteries that you don't have solar or a wind generator on board. Is that correct? If you don't, then an engine driven unit may be perfect since you'll be running the engine anyway. If you have solar or wind, I'd personally go with a different model since running the engine could get annoying. And expensive!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 13:26   #18

Boat: Hanse 445

I have 2x 235 watt Solar panels, the plan is to run the engine for approx two hrs per day on the longer legs, ie-Atlantic and Panama to Marquesas when required to make water and top up the batteries that the solar hasn't put back. Not going for Wind generator as predominant wind is behind the boat and wont be overly efficient.
Falshator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 17:50   #19

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falshator View Post
I have 2x 235 watt Solar panels, the plan is to run the engine for approx two hrs per day on the longer legs, ie-Atlantic and Panama to Marquesas when required to make water and top up the batteries that the solar hasn't put back. Not going for Wind generator as predominant wind is behind the boat and wont be overly efficient.
Now I'm confused. Why would you want to burn all that extra fuel if you've got solar? The whole point of solar is to keep from running your engine. Since you're planning on running you engine anyway, I'll gladly take those worthless, unnecessary and unsightly panels off your hands.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 18:45   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Watermakers like to be run every few days or less. You don't want to put one in and only run it occasionally. So size one that works with the solar you plan on having, and then run it often.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falshator View Post
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 19:10   #21

Boat: Hanse 445

Thanks Kevin,
Be nice if we could totally rely on the solar panels(unsightly-yes but necessary) to run all the electrics, but don't think for a moment they will be up to that, therefore need the Alternator to top up. Id rather run the engine for a couple of hrs and make way especially if its light, over a generator or similar. And in the process making water so that we can all have a hot shower
Falshator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker