Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-04-2011, 08:02   #16

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: On the level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
My understanding is that a gas absorption refrigerator must be level to work properly.

An explanation of how they work is here.
I used to teach LiBr absorbtion refrigeration and both systems are similar. I don't think the unit HAS to be level. RVs tend to move around a bit and all and LiBr units are used on ships around the world. That said, with a lot of movement you will probabaly see some decrease in efficiency.

I plan to put one on my weekend sailer this summer, I might find out that I am very wrong.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:41   #17

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.
Re: Opinions on 12vdc Coolers for Cruisers ?

I have a older dometic fridge (approx.15 years old,then called chestcold)40 litre ,I do not use onboard because they use too much power on 12 volt (120 watts) and cool less than half as good as a 40 watt engel,also mine has no thermostat control on 12 volt,not mentioned in the manual.
It will therefore freeze or flatten the battery.
It works well in a vehicle on rough roads on 12 volts providing heavy wiring is used and motor is charging.If the voltage is low it won't cool.If gas flame is weak it won't cool,even though flame may look ok.

Old 01-05-2011, 18:37   #18

Boat: 38' French Cat

Zeta just curious did you get that unit?I asked the distributor but the power draw under 12v is still fairly high at 6.6 amps. We just ordered an Edgestar fp 63 that will freeze down to -8 and or can be used as a fridge its 63 qt it was 480. they make a 40 qt I believe for 400. They work off 12v or 110. power draw is 2.75 amps. Its on par with the Dometics and Engles that cost much more.
Old 01-05-2011, 19:36   #19

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Here's a compact 12v/110v fridge I was considering just yesterday.

Product Catalog - Model SHP1712SDC - SUPERCONDUCTOR Refrigerator AC/DC

These are about $125-150 US and are described as superconducting or solid state. So no compressor, low current draw and the same issue with cooling down to 35-40F below ambient. I'm not sure if this is the same as peltier type (free piston?) fridges because the Avanti has no moving parts if I'm correct.

Even the manual doesn't list the current draw. But it uses a 12v lighter plug with a 10A fuse for DC operation.

I ended up going with a standard compressor type at 110v, 0.9A draw Frigidaire from Lowe's. $129 including tax. Mainly because I was concerned about the ability of the solid state type to cool down enough in hot weather. I'm planning a 300w pure sine wave inverter from Morningstar for the computer and maybe this fridge as well.

It's currently on dock power and I'll still use ice on the hook until I'm capable of supporting a fridge away from the dock. Reaching to get a cold brew out of it right now.
Old 01-05-2011, 20:14   #20

Out of your price range, but I converted the ice box on 28 footer 15 years ago and it is still going strong.

Fisheries - Product Detail

12v and 120vac operation. Automatically switches over when you connect to shore power.

I recommend it.

Apparently the newer (than mine) models are more power efficient.
Old 01-05-2011, 21:14   #21

Boat: 27ft catalina

i used the coolatron 12vdc cooler and it was junk 2 days after purchase i took it back and bought myself the waeco cf50 cooler. works amazing minimal draw on power. save your money buy something decent you wont regret it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59   #22

Boat: mt34dt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Zeta just curious did you get that unit?I asked the distributor but the power draw under 12v is still fairly high at 6.6 amps. We just ordered an Edgestar fp 63 that will freeze down to -8 and or can be used as a fridge its 63 qt it was 480. they make a 40 qt I believe for 400. They work off 12v or 110. power draw is 2.75 amps. Its on par with the Dometics and Engles that cost much more.

No, the draw was to high I'm ordering and Edgestar today or tomorrow. read good stuff about the unit.
Old 02-05-2011, 13:01   #23

Boat: Westsail 28

Looks like the next pay check from work will have a healthy bonus in it, so gonna order a wind gen and ice box-refrigerator system in a few weeks.

Thanks for the opinions on the 12v units, but looks like I get to get the real thing.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:18   #24

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Will a wind generator really power a fridge? I just got a new Beneteau - 3 group 26 house batteries - and added a wind system - but the dealer said it would not power the fridge. Or they said "most people found" it would not when I was on the hook.

I haven't launched yet - so that's why I am asking. In a couple of weeks I will be able to find out first hand.
Old 02-05-2011, 13:23   #25

Boat: Westsail 28

We had one on our Gulfstar 51 with a larger fridge system then my Westsail. As long as the wind was blowing and she was turning, the beer and lunch meat was nice and cold.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: