Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 16:38   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
OMG...what a bad day

So I'm replacing the hoses for my head. Even went so far as to pull a locker front and redo it. It's been a multi-week project, getting down to the boat several times a week for a couple of hours at a time. I pulled the holding tank even, brought it home, cleaned it out, rebedded fittings, etc.

I'm just about don't. Everything is looking good. I'm working the last hose from the tank onto the overboard fitting. It's a (supposedly) bronze seacock with a 90 degree fitting on it.

The fitting cracks off. And to top it off, now the seacock has a drip that won't stop.

The only option I see is to haul the boat and check out this suspect thru-hull fitting. And all the others while I'm at it.

So discouraging !!!!!

OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 16:46   #2

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: OMG...what a bad day

You could look at it another way. How lucky are you that you found the problem when you did!!

Regards,
Richard

boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 16:53   #3
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

What boden36 said +10...

But it doesn't feel this way at the moment
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 18:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, Old Man Mirage,

You are one lucky fellow! But, for sure, it's discouraging. I guess you're ready for new through-hull fittings, and then, then you can wear the great big smile, because you've cheated death once again!

Amm
Old 12-05-2018, 19:50   #5

It is possible to replace a thru-hull while the boat is in the water. Itís a two-person job, and itís a little scary, but it can be done.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 20:05   #6
cruiser

Haul out is not necessary. There is a rubber tool which can plug the skin fitting from inside the boat and allow you to change the fittings. I can’t remember the name of it but everyone should have one onboard. We have one in Italy.

Buy this.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 21:44   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One time, we used a clean toilet plunger, on the outside of the hull. I dove in and pushed it up hard, and when it sucked onto the hull, Jim removed the bit, and replaced it. And I took the plunger off. But--the water was warm, and not sharky.

Ann
Old 13-05-2018, 02:42   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
... I'm just about don't ...
There's something just "right" about that phrase, in this context.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 03:30   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
One time, we used a clean toilet plunger, on the outside of the hull. I dove in and pushed it up hard, and when it sucked onto the hull, Jim removed the bit, and replaced it. And I took the plunger off. But--the water was warm, and not sharky.

Ann
Well, you're assuming he has separate skin fitting (through hull) and ball valve. He wrote "sea cock" which might mean valve and through hull in one unit, a la Spartan, Groco, Blakes, etc.

You're also assuming that the even if the ball valve and skin fitting are separate, that he can get the ball valve off without turning the skin fitting and breaking the seal.

This must be the month of the underwater fittings! This is at least the fourth thread on the subject recently

I echo whole-heartedly what others have said -- that this is a great blessing to have happened like this on the hard, and a call to replace all of them. So OP, don't be discouraged! The sea gods were smiling on you! Really!

Another bit of perspective -- boat jobs have an incredible propensity to expand to fill all the available time and money. Solve one thing, and uncover two more problems. Or three. Or four. This is the way of boats! I've just been through it myself! Best thing to do is just to try to stay cheerful and keep plugging away at it. Dogged persistence is the only way to get through this. It's lovely when the inevitable boat job proliferation occurs on the hard, rather than in the water.
Old 13-05-2018, 03:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibstay View Post
It is possible to replace a thru-hull while the boat is in the water. Itís a two-person job, and itís a little scary, but it can be done.
Through hull, or ball valve?

Ball valve I understand how to do in the water.

But how do you do a through hull (skin fitting)? How do you bed it in?

If this is really possible, I would love to know how. Could be really valuable information.
Old 13-05-2018, 03:44   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I am trying to look at it from the bright side. It is definitely best to know this now and not while making an offshore passage.

I was planning to haul the boat late in the year when the weather cools off. I have a nicely rebuilt engine I was going to swap in, and re-do the engine compartment and other chores.

I guess I'll focus on the thru-hulls for now, and give it a coat of bottom paint while it's out. A bottom job is only $15/ft plus paint.

I wonder if the Cape Dory method of grounding all the thru-hulls caused some galvanic corrosion ? It may just be the one fitting, I'm very reluctant to go pulling other hoses and tapping on others to check until its on the hard. Then I'll make a thorough investigation.

Sigh ! Oh the joy of boat ownership !
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:24   #12
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: OMG...what a bad day

$hit happens..!!!

Sorry.. to good to miss..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:38   #13
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post

I wonder if the Cape Dory method of grounding all the thru-hulls caused some galvanic corrosion ? It may just be the one fitting, I'm very reluctant to go pulling other hoses and tapping on others to check until its on the hard. Then I'll make a thorough investigation.

Sigh ! Oh the joy of boat ownership !
Good chance there was a brass fitting on a bronze seacock.
Brass + seawater = bad idea.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 04:59   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But how do you do a through hull (skin fitting)? How do you bed it in?
I have done it once all be it a long time ago. It wasn't a through hull but a lowrance echo sounder transducer, same problem and process. The boat was a 80 ton fleet tender belonging to Her Maj so not something you could just lift in a boat yard. We also had a dozen experienced divers to do it and be on standby just in case. It did take some planning prior to actually doing it.

Step one. Take strong plastic bucket and cover the rim with 22mm houseold pipe insulation held on with gaffer tape.

Step two. Put transducer (or through hull) in bucket and pass to diver to take down and place over the old transducer. Other divers use string to surface to hold bucket in place. I think we used 4 strings in the end.

Step three. Person inside the boat knocks outwards the old transducer which falls into the bucket. Now this is the magic bit and works as Ann suggested above; the water pressure now squashes the bucket against the hull and forms a watertight seal or at least the pipe insulation does.

Step four. Person inside the boat sucks out water out of bucket so you can see what is going on.

Step five. Person inside the boat with a bent coat hanger fishes the transducer cable and pulls it into the hole. This could be tricky with a through hull, but a bung and a piece of string inside the through hull might work. Wasn't a problem with the transducer with a long cable.

Step six. Tighten up locking ring on transducer and send divers back down to recover bucket.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2018, 05:19   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Forespare makes 2 kinds of through hull fittings. The one you normally see and one that is serviceable. The second type can be disassembled from inside the boat. They even give you a little plunger to stick in the hole from outside the boat. The plunger has a loop to tie some string to.

So you stick the plunger in, unscrew the valve body, service the valve, reassemble, pull the string. In our case an o ring swelled causing a leak. No clue what caused the swelling.

Because these valves come in different configurations you can make considerable mods in the water by swapping the top bits. Forespares lawyers had a field day of telling you to never do this except in Extreme emergency, the engineers tell you how.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote