Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08   #1

"Offshore Kit" for Spectra Watermakers

Can somebody tell me what is the "Offshore Kit" (with spare parts?) for Spectra watermakers? What I have seen in the web are pictures of some o-rings only for 450$??? What is the secret behind that?
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: "Offshore Kit" for Spectra Watermakers

The Offshore kit will contain more than the O-rings. It will have what it takes to rebuild the internals of the Clark pump. But it really depends on what model Spectra you have and your intended type of cruising as to what spares are appropriate to have on board.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Old OP but still an issue.

The off shore kit. KIT-OFFSH

It is a stack of 7 cent O- rings and a few hard parts, pistons, chemical packs.

Considering the cost of the whole machine this is a total rip for this baggie of bits. I have followed the google search and found it is exactly $469 everywhere except a few places where it is even more. I believe they would be turning profit at $100.00 and I would buy two, feel happy and promote it to others.

We will be rebuilding after only two Caribbean seasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78178FA1-5C2C-4A95-B033-F01D39D95137.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	217122  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 18:32   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Considering the cost of the whole machine this is a total rip for this baggie of bits. I have followed the google search and found it is exactly $469 everywhere except a few places where it is even more. I believe they would be turning profit at $100.00 and I would buy two, feel happy and promote it to others.

Check your HP fittings. If they are not all SS you will be doing this rebuild again.
Old 20-06-2020, 02:29   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

It's actually a good price, if you break down the costs of those items individually it's alot more, however. You don't really need to travel with the 90 degree parker compression elbow, if your going out in the Caribbean for 2 years that part alone is $100+but I have replaced 3 of them over the last 3 years for customers and probably 6+ of the straight Parker fittings in the same time. So again, a great value if you plan on keeping the boat.
The annular rings, their proprietary o rings and spool valve are the number one wear item I replace for customers out in the field. If you get down island and need these parts you will probably pay double plus customs etc Unless you run Into someone cruising who is a spectra dealer and stocks parts.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 03:39   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post

Why are you rebuilding after only 2 seasons? Something is not right. My Spectra is 16 years old and the Clark pump has been rebuilt once. Usage was mostly seasonal cruising for about 3-4 months per year.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 15:48   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Why are you rebuilding after only 2 seasons? Something is not right. My Spectra is 16 years old and the Clark pump has been rebuilt once. Usage was mostly seasonal cruising for about 3-4 months per year.

I'll bet all your fittings on your Clark pump are SS and
Nicholson58 are bronze nickle.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:53   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'll bet all your fittings on your Clark pump are SS and
Nicholson58 are bronze nickle.
Is it mostly a matter of flushing after each use that is the cause of the bronze nickle fittings to fail? Are the SS standard now and if so any idea when the change was made?
Old 12-07-2020, 13:57   #9
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is it mostly a matter of flushing after each use that is the cause of the bronze nickle fittings to fail? Are the SS standard now and if so any idea when the change was made?
Guess it doesn't really matter as now that I looked at my new, to me, Spectra it has nickle bronze fittings. It appears to be a 2013 model based on a sticker.
Old 25-09-2020, 11:06   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reviving the thread.

My Spectra 200T has failed. It started hanging up on the reversing stroke. The pressure to shift the spool became asymmetrical. Eventually, the machine stalled the pump, unable to shift. At the same time, TDS went from ~240 to around 400.

According to JT, texts above, the culprit is the high pressure fittings. I just contacted Spectra directly Regarding this and they claim to still be using the same non-stainless fittings in their new builds. The techie says I’m supposed to regularly disassemble the HP fittings and clean out the rust. Doesn’t say so in my manual. AND if you were expected to perform this level of maintenance on your car to keep rust from from wrecking the engine - - well you get the picture. By the way, techie hung up on me.

I am being quoted the necessary parts retail. Spectra assumes no responsibility or culpability. They offer no assistance. The bill is over $700.00 for parts. I will need to pack them in my bags for our return to Antigua and install them myself.
Old 25-09-2020, 12:28   #11

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

I was considering a Spectra. This report is enough to make me change my mind. Thanks for posting.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 12:39   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

My 2004, yep 16 years old, Spectra Catalina still has the same HP fitings. Never disassemble to clean. Maybe the alloys used have changed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 13:52   #13

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

700 for parts?? It's typically just the annular rings, and a spool valve, should be under $200. In parts. Plus some O rings.
I wouldnt replace all the fittings unless they are really old and corroded. It is buildup that and any foreign crud that wears the annular rings. I just replaced mine after 3 years of using them in some of the nastiest soupiest waters around and it was still making water. Just had a drop in output. Proper flushing and clean filters are critical for good maintenance.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 16:09   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
700 for parts?? It's typically just the annular rings, and a spool valve, should be under $200. In parts. Plus some O rings.
I wouldnt replace all the fittings unless they are really old and corroded. It is buildup that and any foreign crud that wears the annular rings. I just replaced mine after 3 years of using them in some of the nastiest soupiest waters around and it was still making water. Just had a drop in output. Proper flushing and clean filters are critical for good maintenance.
Ours, two years old, 13 total months operation. It has been maintained exactly by the book. We only run it in clear water anchorages where we can see the bottom.

Recommend kit for this is:

Annular rings and shuttle
Two pistons
One 10% piston rod
Four lip seals (two spare)
Cylinder hone
High pressure fittings
2 X 90 deg SS fittings
6 X straight SS fittings
13/16 wrench

If I knew exact part numbers for the fittings, Parker I think, I have connections. Before I retired I was chief engineer at a custom machinery builder. I have a lot of Parker contacts. I know that engineers make mistakes. I’m not looking to hurt the company. I just feel they should stand behind the product. I think cost plus shipping would be fair. Doesn’t make sense to hurt your customers for a metallurgy issue. It’s otherwise been a good machine. Doesn’t seem realistic to presume 10% of the purchase cost every two years. $700 buys a lot of fresh water.

I’m still waiting to hear back from them following my last contact a few hours ago. I’d really like to come to some amicable and reasonable conclusion.
Old 26-09-2020, 04:56   #15
CLOD

I thought I had read that Spectra was doing a running change out of the nickel bronze fittings, free. I am sure I read somewhere that if you send in you Clark pump for a rebuild that the shop changed them. But I also know that my used unit has been rebuilt in the last couple of years by a factory rep who posts here and it still has the nickel bronze fittings.