Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-12-2013, 14:48   #16

Re: Norcold SCQT repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsailor12 View Post
I also have a 4407, but fortunately it's working. The Thetford website has some documentation and spare parts list. It appears that all major assemblies are still available.
Thats good news. Hopefully once I overcome the original owner's mistakes on the installation, I hope mine will work for years to come. I really like the design and concept.

Regarding the Thetford site, that was the start of my frustration. The few documents that are available had discrepancies or gaps in information. Not too uncommon, but when I called them for clarification they could not answer my questions, stating that they "did not have a technical support person"... Wow, really???

In calling a couple of dealers, they too expressed frustration and commented that it was hard to price replacement parts for these systems since they are really not intended to be serviced. Grrrrr.

Old 05-12-2013, 15:09   #17

azsailor12, I do have one question that you may be able to comment on if not too much trouble.

I have a control box from an old Norcold SCQT-6407 which is a predecessor to the 4407/4408 systems. It has a knob to adjust the temp, an ON/OFF slide switch, and one LED - pretty simple. I was hoping it would be compatible, but it has 4 wires into a plug, whereas the one for my 4407 needs 5 wires. I hope to learn why the newer 4407/4408 systems needed the additional wire.

My question is whether your control box has anything more than a knob, switch and LED?

Also, if anyone has a dead 4407/4408, I am in the market for a used control box, as well as a set of male and female quick-connects.

Old 05-12-2013, 15:42   #18

An interesting breakthrough - I found a Norcold document on-line that includes a wiring diagram for the old SCQT 6407. Bk and Bn wires are to the ON/OFF switch, Yellow and Red connect to the resistors and variable resistor for adjusting the temp.

This document is much better than what I have found for the 4407/4408, which is what I really need.

Still, if I have to guess on mine, I'll at least have this as a means to make a SWAG. It still bothers me that I don't know what the Orange wire does.
Old 06-12-2013, 13:38   #19

Oh well, the wiring info for the old SCQT 6407 did not get me anywhere.

I was hoping that crossing the Bk and Bn wires would result in the compressor and fan kicking on, but no luck. Apparently the orange wire and/or other wires also need to be connected.

A quote for a thermostat, part # 1601-140-40 for my SCQT-4407 wasn't as outrageous as I had feared so I decided to take a leap of faith and order it from S & S RV Svc Center in Gettysburg, PA (717-334-0149). I hope it works out. I was very impressed with the reviews on S&S - very high praise. They were the only dealer that seemed to be interested in helping me and could find the part to be able to quote it. My impression was very positive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: