Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 14:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 46'
Norcold Refrigeration Replacement?

Hi there - I have a Norcold conversion kit (model #scqt-4407) and it turns on but no longer cools. From all the research I've done, it seems like it will probably be best for me to just replace the unit. Couple questions: How hard is it to replace if I buy the same unit? (my knowledge of refrigeration and electrical wiring is limited) I've also heard I shouldn't waste my money on another Norcold since they are no good. Any recommendations for other conversion kits that are similar size? If I go with a different conversion kit, how hard would that be to replace?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but hopefully someone can help me out.

Cheers!
Bumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Norcold refrigeration replacement?

If you have a well insulated box then it is quite simple to buy a new conversion kit. The new units are basically foolproof, plug and play designs. They come precharged with the right amount of freon.

Install the evaporator unit in the box, install the compressor wherever, screw the connectors together, run the wires and you're done.

Two very good options, Frigoboat and Seafrost. Both are top quality units and support their products well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 16:20   #3

Thanks SkipMac.

Do you know if there are any issues with mixing a cold plate/evaporator unit from one manufacturer with a compressor from another? I'm thinking about replacing the Norcold compressor with a Nova Kool but was wondering if I could leave the Norcold evaporator unit.
Old 24-07-2013, 17:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

You are now reaching the edges of my limited expertise on refrigeration but as I understand it, theoretically a compressor is a compressor and an evaporator is an evaporator.

However, two issues on mixing brands. First the size and capacity of the compressor and evaporator must match or you will at the very least have an inefficient system. On a practical basis, very unlikely the fittings and connectors will match. Different manufacturers may use one of a few different options for connector types and most probably will not match.

May be a few more dollars but at the end of the day for me at least, it would will save much time and trouble to buy a complete new system with compressor and evaporator capacities matching and sized to fit the size box and design.

A new system is really plug it up and run. All the parts are prefilled with the exact amount of freon, the fittings are sealed and covered to keep them clean. Attach power wires, screw the fittings together and turn it on.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: Norcold Refrigeration Replacement?

Bumberg,If this unit worked to your satisfaction before and boating plans do not include tropical weather then replace it with the same 4407 model unit.

As for as installation of new unit there are two refrigerant lines to connect and unlike other unit’s lines can be reversed so Red goes to Red and Green to Green. Complete system is already charged with correct amount of refrigerant When connecting lines do one at a time and have tools handy to completely tighten first one before moving to the other one.

The only thing that might be confusing is connecting the two power wires to prevent reverse polarity.

The only other wires with a plug are for thermostat's matching plug at compressor/condensing unit.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 19:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Bumberg,If this unit worked to your satisfaction before and boating plans do not include tropical weather then replace it with the same 4407 model unit.
what's the tropical unit recommendation?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 20:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

In Bumberg's case if he is satisfied with performance of his present system in the Bay area and moves to a tropical climate His daily amp-hrs and refrigeration system size may need to be increased by 4% per degree of warmer seawater/ambient air.
The Norcold is a very good unit but limited to small boxes in warm climates do to its Btu output.

If you do not have a base line performance state to start with as Bumberg does go to my web site and Watch the Slide Show on what works and what does not. Remember slid show is going to produce worst case for refrigeration in your boat. After you determine worst case in tropics subtract 2% for each degree of cooler temperatures where you plan to cruise. Example, A Danfoss compressor and a 6 cu ft box might consume 100 amp hours per day in the tropical temperatures and only 1/2 that in temperatures 25 degrees cooler.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:10   #8

Bumberg, I am just curious - what did you decide to do? I am either in the market to buy a used evaporator with the lines and thermostat for a SCQT 4407, or sell an unused compressor unit from the same model. My preference is to buy the evaporator, lines and thermostat, but either gets things moving in a direction.
mashenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 18:00   #9

so the scqt 4407 is no longer produced. I believe the replacement unit is now 4408. I bought the norcold unit and installed it and it's working fine. I could be wrong but when doing research, everyone said to buy the compressor and evaporator together otherwise you will have lots of issues.
Old 25-11-2013, 20:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumberg View Post
everyone said....
So goes the Chat Room Cycle of myths becoming reality....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 05:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumberg View Post
so the scqt 4407 is no longer produced. I believe the replacement unit is now 4408. I bought the norcold unit and installed it and it's working fine. I could be wrong but when doing research, everyone said to buy the compressor and evaporator together otherwise you will have lots of issues.
Correct. The 4407 has been replaced by the 4408. That said, regarding compressor and evaporator compatibility, I believe people's points were that a) its highly unlikely that matching one vendor's compressor with another vendor's evaporator will work, and b) do some homework when matching older parts of a system with newer parts even when the same vendor since there could still be incompatibilities (refrigeration design is a tricky science).

It sounds like you took a good direction.

By chance do you still have the old thermostat and/or evaporator w lines from your 4407? I'm interested in buying them if you do. These would match my "never been used" 4407 compressor and get me to having cold beer .
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53   #12

Bumberg, in case you missed this over the holidays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashenden View Post
By chance do you still have the old thermostat and/or evaporator w lines from your 4407? I'm interested in buying them if you do. These would match my "never been used" 4407 compressor and get me to having cold beer .
Old 04-12-2013, 13:12   #13

Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately I got rid of both. Good luck finding one, and getting that cold beer.

Tags
refrigeration