Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 13:11   #1

Boat: Silverton
Lightbulb Norcold

Have a fridge and freezer combo on my boat and it seems to run almost all the time on 12vlt or 110
Any guessessesssssss
Kevin
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Norcold

Insulation.......or lack of.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 13:31   #3

Thanks ill pull it and check
kevin
Old 22-03-2011, 13:37   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

when you say pull it, is this an upright type of norcold unit?
If so, is there adequate ventalition to the condensor?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 14:38   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Norcolds (aka 'Notcolds') are notorious for that. I had a brand new one that ran 50 minutes out of 60. Factory said that was normal.

A small fan to circulate the cold air inside is reported to help, and plenty of cool air ventilation at the back of the unit will help... a little. In the end, you will find what many of us have found: Norcolds suck.
Old 22-03-2011, 16:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
when you say pull it, is this an upright type of norcold unit?
If so, is there adequate ventalition to the condensor?
probably not .ill put a vent in the side panel
thanks
Old 23-03-2011, 11:01   #7

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

If you decide your fridge requires replacement--- gas leak for example, I highly recommend that you search for a fridge designed for campers/apartments. I junked my old Norcold last summer. It had two compressors, one for the freezer and the other for the fridge section. That pig ran almost all the time!

Small refrigerators are found in limited quantities today because manufacturers have left the market place but there are a few. I replaced mine with a Summit. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SUMMIT!!!! The fridge I purchased was only available in white, I painted mine black. It even includes a defrost phase and an interior light!!! AND IT IS OVER 1 CUBIC FOOT LARGER THAN THE NEVERCOLD!!!!

Sure, I had to purchase a 1KW inverter...........that is the minimum size needed because of the defrost cycle which runs for about 6 minutes every day. OH-- the fridge fit perfectly into the space Norcold require!!!

And NO, I have nothing to do with Summit, I don't sell them but I will recommend them. Another to consider is Avanti.

Last--- the cost of the Summit plus the inverter plus a relay used to switch to dock AC when available was about $400 less than a new Norcold

Good luck---

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 12:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
If you decide your fridge requires replacement--- gas leak for example, I highly recommend that you search for a fridge designed for campers/apartments. I junked my old Norcold last summer. It had two compressors, one for the freezer and the other for the fridge section. That pig ran almost all the time!

Small refrigerators are found in limited quantities today because manufacturers have left the market place but there are a few. I replaced mine with a Summit. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND SUMMIT!!!! The fridge I purchased was only available in white, I painted mine black. It even includes a defrost phase and an interior light!!! AND IT IS OVER 1 CUBIC FOOT LARGER THAN THE NEVERCOLD!!!!

Sure, I had to purchase a 1KW inverter...........that is the minimum size needed because of the defrost cycle which runs for about 6 minutes every day. OH-- the fridge fit perfectly into the space Norcold require!!!

And NO, I have nothing to do with Summit, I don't sell them but I will recommend them. Another to consider is Avanti.

Last--- the cost of the Summit plus the inverter plus a relay used to switch to dock AC when available was about $400 less than a new Norcold

Good luck---

Foggy
Thank you very much for your help. what a great site to help everyone

thanks
Kevin
Old 23-03-2011, 13:53   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

About 5 years ago my upright fridge freezer combo packed it in. Since the box was in such good condition and my being primarily cheap I looked around and found a refridgeration repair shop that specialized in marine fridges. I brought the fridge to him. ( not an easy task) and he replaced the evaporator and compressor with a 12 volt system. uses 4.5 amps when running max. It has been great. So if the box is good look around for a refridgeration shop in your area.
Old 24-06-2013, 18:32   #10

Boat: 1997 Trojan, 440 Express Cruiser, 44'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Have a fridge and freezer combo on my boat and it seems to run almost all the time on 12vlt or 110
Any guessessesssssss
Kevin
Did you get your issue satisfied with your Norcold? I have a Norcold DE561 that has the same issues, but seems related to the doors sealing up properly, just had it adjusted and am waiting to see if it cools again. Do you have any other suggestions?
MommaDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 18:35   #11

Quote:

Good luck---

Foggy

Hey Foggy, can you give me the info on Summit. I have a Norcold DE561 and it is possible that I may need to replace it. I would like to end my relationship with Norcold, but don't have much options in size. Please let me know about Summit.

Thanks
Old 27-06-2013, 19:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDrama View Post
Hey Foggy, can you give me the info on Summit. I have a Norcold DE561 and it is possible that I may need to replace it. I would like to end my relationship with Norcold, but don't have much options in size. Please let me know about Summit.

Thanks

Not sure what it is you're searching for, so I shootgun my response.

I thought I had the model number in my file but I don't. I will look on my boat this weekend to see if I have it there.

GOOD THINGS:

1)Very, very quite.

2)Has self defrost and we LOVE IT! Even has an interior light!

3)Stays in constant temperature, freezer ranges from 0 to -5

4)The refrigerator section stays constant at 39F... we can control the
temperature

5) Height and width almost EXACTLY that of the Norcold

6) Cost was $550 delivered..could be off a couple of bucks but not many

COMPROMISED THINGS:

1) Ours was only available in white. I sprayed it BLACK!

2) It had wire shelving...sucked! I purchased 1/2" sheet of Delrin on Ebay
for $20 and cut my own shelf using my router, even allowed a space for large items..Wifey's wine box

3) You will need a pure sine wave inverter. I recommend at least 1500 watts. Mine is 1000 watts which works well but I am pushing it when the self deforst cycle starts up. Note-- a modified sinewave might work. Anyway, search Ebay, a true sine wave 2000 watt inverter ranges about $225. I don't like Xantrex even though mine is made by them.

4) The box although the same height & width is the same as Norcold, it is deeper and of course it has to be because it is 8.3cu/ft. But the Norcold had the compressors mounted on the back side, Summit is on the bottom of teh fridge. If you measure the Norclod depth to the back of the compessors, the depth is the same as the Summit. The problem I ran into is the back of the fridge hit the back of a toilet switch which the Norcold compressors just missed. Not a big deal to work around which I did.

More comments--- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SELF DEFROST!! The old Norcold used about the same power as my Summit. While at anchor both units require running a generator to recharge batteries as I am sure you realize. Last year I installed 2 each 145 watt solar panels that almost eliminated the need for the genny except we need it for the hot water heater and also for coffee in the mornings and of course the stove if things need cooking.

This season I added another pair of solar panels ... I purchased another pair right after the first pair and they sat in my garage over the winter. So I am not worried about my batteries. I want to make our wonderful President, THE GREAT LEADER happy by using reusable energy..... well, also because gas cost $4/gallon and the genny burns gas! OH, and I want to be an energy PIG!

Ask if you need more info--

Foggy
Old 27-06-2013, 19:53   #13

Norcolds have this problem alot. It is apparantly often something in the electronics module or the Thermostat. I was advised it is often the T-stat so got a new one, It still runs continuously and is plenty cold. So I guess it's inside the module. Maybe Mr Kollman will tell us.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 00:06   #14

Quote:
Not sure what it is you're searching for, so I shootgun my response.

I thought I had the model number in my file but I don't. I will look on my boat this weekend to see if I have it there.

GOOD THINGS:

1)Very, very quite.

2)Has self defrost and we LOVE IT! Even has an interior light!

3)Stays in constant temperature, freezer ranges from 0 to -5

4)The refrigerator section stays constant at 39F... we can control the
temperature

5) Height and width almost EXACTLY that of the Norcold

6) Cost was $550 delivered..could be off a couple of bucks but not many

COMPROMISED THINGS:

1) Ours was only available in white. I sprayed it BLACK!

2) It had wire shelving...sucked! I purchased 1/2" sheet of Delrin on Ebay
for $20 and cut my own shelf using my router, even allowed a space for large items..Wifey's wine box

3) You will need a pure sine wave inverter. I recommend at least 1500 watts. Mine is 1000 watts which works well but I am pushing it when the self deforst cycle starts up. Note-- a modified sinewave might work. Anyway, search Ebay, a true sine wave 2000 watt inverter ranges about $225. I don't like Xantrex even though mine is made by them.

4) The box although the same height & width is the same as Norcold, it is deeper and of course it has to be because it is 8.3cu/ft. But the Norcold had the compressors mounted on the back side, Summit is on the bottom of teh fridge. If you measure the Norclod depth to the back of the compessors, the depth is the same as the Summit. The problem I ran into is the back of the fridge hit the back of a toilet switch which the Norcold compressors just missed. Not a big deal to work around which I did.

More comments--- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SELF DEFROST!! The old Norcold used about the same power as my Summit. While at anchor both units require running a generator to recharge batteries as I am sure you realize. Last year I installed 2 each 145 watt solar panels that almost eliminated the need for the genny except we need it for the hot water heater and also for coffee in the mornings and of course the stove if things need cooking.

This season I added another pair of solar panels ... I purchased another pair right after the first pair and they sat in my garage over the winter. So I am not worried about my batteries. I want to make our wonderful President, THE GREAT LEADER happy by using reusable energy..... well, also because gas cost $4/gallon and the genny burns gas! OH, and I want to be an energy PIG!

Ask if you need more info--

Foggy

Well, sounds like you have a lot figured out. We have a 1997 Trojan 440 Express Cruiser. I don't think the solar panels will work out to well for us. The fridge has a very specific space that can't really be modified, so I don't know about the inverter and all those issues. I was trying to find something that work in place of the NeverCold!!! I have had several issues and one of them being that the fridge doors aren't hinged to the fridge. The are mounted to the back of a cabinet door to give the look of the cabinets. That creates an issue if the box isn't in the hole just right. ,') If the seal is good then air leaks out & moisture in and you get a frosty freezer and a warmer than normal fridge. ,'( It has been pulled and replaced to get to the space above the fridge and the guys didn't put it back in right. So then it ran non-stop and now it won't cool. Don't know if a freon charge will help. It runs and the freezer got to 38 and the fridge to 58, but it ran non stop for 48 hours. So I was thinking Vitrifrigo, but that creates another problem....it is deeper than the DE-561 and the hatch door has to be removed which is a very labor intensive issue. Not built to have to replace large items like that. The DE-561 that I have now is a already a replacement from the original DE-561 and it went in only because the guys moved the fan to make it work and then moved it back after it was in the boat. My guy doesn't want to have to take the door off and I don't really want him too, cuz I bet it will never be the same when it goes back on!!! So that's my issue. I did a search for Summit, but didn't come up with much other than cooling boxes, but not a fridge. So that is why I was asking you about it, since you recommended it. Way back when those comments were made in 2011 was when I found the replacement in New Jersey and had it shipped to Oklahoma so I didn't have to do any retrofitting or remove the door, but now I am in the same boat unless there is a leak. It is in the hole right and has a great seal, but still isn't quite getting cold enough and it did when it was first installed, but it could be that the last guys to pull it did something to cause it....just don't know.

Thanks for your imput!

Mommadrama (get it)
Old 28-06-2013, 06:03   #15

Good luck Mommadrama.

I do want to clear up how the inverter is connected in my setup. First, the Norcold requires two power feeds, one at 12vdc and the other at 120vac. I only use the 120vac feed and my inverter is located remotely from the fridge.

Foggy