Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:45   #31

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: non-electric watermaker

Im surprised solar stills havent been more in the focus in water making, black container, a few reflectors and away you got, granted bulky for a boat

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Anyone contemplating one of these would do well to spend several evenings reading the internet forums before departing with their hard earned cash.

I don't think they will post them out, instead expect you to collect from London. That would mean of course you couldn't use the UKs distance selling regulations to return it if the thing didn't work.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Anyone contemplating one of these would do well to spend several evenings reading the internet forums before departing with their hard earned cash.

I don't think they will post them out, instead expect you to collect from London. That would mean of course you couldn't use the UKs distance selling regulations to return it if the thing didn't work.

Pete
Hmm... not a lot of positive press out there .

I hadn't realised that they have been around for some years now. If they worked as claimed, I would expect there to be quite a bit of positive rather than almost entirely negative comment by now.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Non-Electric Watermaker

I can remember seeing them being reported on the local TV, must have been a decade ago and thought that's brilliant They showed one working delivering a stream of water like a slow tap, all very clever. Shame they couldn't get them to work in a wider range of conditions because it would have been a really good seller.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If they worked as claimed, I would expect there to be quite a bit of positive rather than almost entirely negative comment by now.
Yeah, I wasn't able to find even a single positive review from anyone who had used one for an entire season. All of the "positive" reviews I saw were from people who had just bought them, had maybe used them once, and were "positive" that they would be happy with them in the long run... But it seems like they weren't.

Another wonderful sounding invention that apparently has not worked out so well in the real world. Here's hoping that someone can eventually get something like this to actually work!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05   #37

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Im surprised solar stills havent been more in the focus in water making, black container, a few reflectors and away you got, granted bulky for a boat
Well I have given up on making drinkwater without electricity on a boat(I mean in vast quantaties and without bulky installations).
I also found it a bit silly that a lot of boats had solar panels but still need a genset to make hotwater.Not in the near future however,somebody will install this on a boat I hope;
Naked Energy

You 'll make electricity and hot water.

Had not seen it before.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 15:24   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The parents of a friend circumnavigated, they figured that they spent 98% of their time at anchor....sailing around the world
I was actually considering these, but am not so sure now
Old 13-01-2013, 18:04   #39

Boat: Hudson Force 50

As Pete7 mentions, it is hard to get a refund from the UK.

I purchased one. It never worked. I asked for a refund many times and it was never given. I lost about 2000 dollars on this.

Also, they send some "cleaning chemical" but do not label what the chemical is. it is just in plastic bottles. I was uncertain how I might explain a strange white powder in a plastic bottle whose chemical composition I could not explain to an inquisitive customs agent.

All in all, it is a risky proposition and if you cannot get a refund, you might consider other options.

Rene Steinhauer
S/V Witchdoctor
medicrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 18:15   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Another wonderful sounding invention that apparently has not worked out so well in the real world. Here's hoping that someone can eventually get something like this to actually work!
To me it doesn't even sound wonderful. When you leave on a long passage, you'll usually have full water tanks anyway. You're really not going to use all that much underway. It's when you arrive, and are anchored that you'll need water, and then the "wonderful invention" will be no use at all...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker