Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 19:01   #1

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
non chemical watermaker preservation

I saw a system in the south hampton boat show that used silver ion flush to preserve the membrane. I have not seen this system before but the setup was simple. It consisted of a filter housing containing the anode, a timer, and some solenoid valves. The system was to run weekly generating silver ions and circulating the fresh water that had been used to flush the system previously using the 12v boost pump. The vendor claimed it was effective and promised to send a component list which I have not received. Has anyone heard of this method and can point me to sources? My googling has not been successful and here in Borneo research is more difficult

Joe
Jubilee
Kudat, Malaysia
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 19:54   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: non chemical watermaker preservation

Designed for spectra watermakers, and they work quite well!

Spectra Watermakers - Marine - Z-Brane™ Membrane
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 22:56   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Actually it's not the Z-Brane system but the new Z-ION system. A bit confusing.

Spectra Watermakers - Marine - Z-ION Membrane Protection System
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 23:17   #4

Thanks,
Spectra would be a propriotary setup. I am looking for the components that basically use silver ions to kill bacteria for long term water storage. Without devolving the thread there is some touting of health benefits but since the water would be flushed out no need to go there. I have not been able to find how to put everything together but it seems that silver is used as an anode with low voltage +/- 12v? applied which releases silver ions that are recirculated through the membranes and filters. The timer turns everything on periodically, the vender said weekly. This would do what spectra is marketing on any watermaker but at low cost. There is some information when you google ionic silver but not enough detail to build my own. Sailing in the pacific I have not been able to get the chemicals easily and as spectra claims the chemicals can be harmful.

Joe
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:32   #5

Boat: gozzard 44

Is Spectra's Z-Ion technology worth the $1000 price tag to increase time between fresh water flushings? Hoping Tellie will offer his view.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 18:48   #6

The actual components needed are not that expensive. The one I first saw in South Hampton was just a filter housing to hold the anode, all the other components where bells and whistles to run it automatically to do a weekly flush, timer and solenoid valve. I still have not found all the specs needed to bulid one. I suspect some sort of current or voltage regulater. Like a watermaker you can go basic or you can go involved at much higher cost. The benefit to me would be doing away with chemicals which have been hard to find where I have cruised fto the last couple of years.
Old 08-10-2014, 20:03   #7

Boat: gozzard 44

The question remains, is Z-ion a valid, proven technology or expensive snake oil?
Guess I'll stick with fresh water flushing every 5 days.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 23:59   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I have been hoping I am not killing my watermaker by only adding water to my tank after it sits in sun for a full day. I am then using this as a flush water. I manually am flushing every five days with fresh water. The last time my spectra has seen an saltwater was now about 12 fresh water flushes ago.

The fact that silver is compatible has given my a low cost idea. I can buy silver burn cream. That would add a powerful antibacterial to my tank. I don't drink from my water tank. Thoughts?
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:03   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Sorry, I lost track of this thread, been really busy of late.

Just to clarify a few points. The Z-ION is designed to eliminate the required weekly flushings and extends the recommended fresh water flush to 30 day intervals for watermakers that are not being used and are not pickled between uses. I've installed many of these Z-ION systems. They absolutely do work. I installed and tested the first Z-ION system sold to the public. This boat was for a very good client of mine. He is a great guy but he likes the best and newest of everything on his Outremer. If he added new electronics and six months later a newer updated version came out he replaces it. There is always work happening on his boat. He's just one of those guys. But because of this his boat many times had the power shut off for the work being done and when the power was turned back on the other trades would either ignore the watermaker setting or just did not know how to re-set it. So I would replace the membrane on this boat 3-4 times a year. This was a great client to test this on as he allowed me to test this my way. Long story short, he still has a lot of work done and many times the watermaker is shut down for three months at a time. I have yet to replace the membrane installed along with the Z-ION. Spectras time line is going to be 30 days between flushes, but I seen it go 90 days with no ill effect on the membrane. The Z-ION is a bit more complicated than a simple charged rod. Remember it is not only designed to let the system go longer between fresh water flushes but it also protects the rest of the system from Anaerobic growth.
What needs to be decided is what type of cruising do you do. For someone who lives aboard and uses their watermaker every week then it probably doesn't make sense to add a Z-ION system. For those that sporadically use their boats and watermakers it can make a lot of sense.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
Old 07-05-2016, 06:08   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I have been hoping I am not killing my watermaker by only adding water to my tank after it sits in sun for a full day. I am then using this as a flush water. I manually am flushing every five days with fresh water. The last time my spectra has seen an saltwater was now about 12 fresh water flushes ago.

The fact that silver is compatible has given my a low cost idea. I can buy silver burn cream. That would add a powerful antibacterial to my tank. I don't drink from my water tank. Thoughts?

I don't understand. Don't try to re-invent the wheel to save pennies. Your system has a charcoal filter inline for the fresh water flush, all Spectras come that way standard. Just change the filter twice a year, fill your tanks with dock water and flush.
But going three months just flushing if you are not using your watermaker then pickle it and put it to bed.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Old 07-05-2016, 06:15   #11
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

This might be a good time to say that we are holding our annual watermaker class at our Fort Lauderdale shop on July,16 (Saturday)

This is for Spectra owners and those thinking about a Spectra. It's a full day class, no charge, breakfast and lunch included. We will be going over in depth Spectra systems, tearing down parts and pumps. If you as a CF member are thinking about a new Spectra this will be the day to get one as CF members always get a better deal. Those in attendance will get better than boat show prices on a new system. This special is only a one day offer. There's only a few spots left. Shoot me a PM if anyone's interested.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 515-7077

Tags
cal, water, watermaker