Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 07:51   #31

Re: No water maker no drink?

Hi,
We have a Seagull water filter on board our newly purchased yacht. We will be putting it on line in the spring. Check it out.
Cheers
Steve01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:08   #32

Boat: GULFSTAR 53 MOTORSAILER

It would all depend on how often you dock or want to take your boat to a marina just for water.
I hold about 400 gallons of fuel so I seldom stop for fuel. That being said, I never use water from a dock that could contaminate my tanks. . I always fill my tanks with my Watermaker. In the last ten years I have never had bad tank water.
MAJICDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47   #33

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John marven View Post
Hi guys.
Sailing around the med with no water maker do you still drink the tank water regardless of what country you topped up in ? Do you treat the tanked water? or do you carry massive amounts of bottled mineral water?
Thanks in advance.

Just spent 8 years cruising the Med without a watermaker. Found maybe three places where the water was no good. It was a problem only in the Balieirics. My tank is 220 liters. So, a watermaker is nice but not necessary in the Med.
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:47   #34

Boat: Jeanneau DS 43

Water from my tanks has always been good enough for me. I currently run the dockside tap water through a carbon filter before it enters the boat, sanitize it in the tanks with 1 teaspoon of bleach per 10 gallons of water, then a final filter (eg. Brita) as it comes out of the tap on my boat. The water is clean, tasty and safe. When I get advice that water at a particular location is unsafe or brackish, which is pretty rare in the Med, I wait to fill up at the next port.
sailoray531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 13:45   #35

I suggest using a particulate and carbon filter on your hose when filling your water tank. You should have no issues in the European areas of the Med based on the level of requirements each country has. On the North African side of the Med, I suggest adding a dose of bleach to each tank fill.
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 14:13   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
On a few occassions we've been obliged to pay for potable water, though after fifteen years I doubt if we've yet spent the equivalent cost of one filter-membrane for a watermaker.
I was THIS close to pulling the water maker trigger. I have a pretty good handle on our water usage now after 3 years. But doing a cost review and figuring water use as 50% more than our actual experience, a high cost of buying water at $0.50/gal, and a cheap no thrills watermater, it worked out to over 5 years before the water maker would pay for it’s purchase cost. And that assumes buying all water for the 5 years and 0 operation and maintenance costs on the wm.

I decided it sounded better to just plan on a marina “spa” day every 3-4 weeks.

While I understand and get the “it’s nice to not have to go get water” you still have to go get fuel etc to make it. I’m glad for those that have and love them because it would be sad if they didn’t after spending the money, but even though I Want one one I definitely don’t NEED one.
Old 09-12-2019, 14:44   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
No water maker no drink?

You don’t buy a watermaker to save money, even if your in the Bahamas were it can go for .50c a gallon, but sometimes free if you don’t mind jugging it.
You buy it so that you can stay out in out of the way places for extended times if you want to and still shower every day, and so you don’t plan your trip around available water and aren’t going into town every day with two 5 gls jugs of water. Also a lot of that water really isn’t potable, a few places in the Bahamas if you test with your TDS tester it’s not good. Spanish Wells for instance got its name because it was one of the very few places with good well water, but if you ask the Chief Conciliator I think his title is, he will tell you to not drink it.
As far as catching rain, I think it rained once last year between Dec and July, but honestly I don’t remember it raining even once, assumption is that is the dry season. So that is widely variable on location and time of year.

So of course you can do without, people have done so for Centuries, just like you don’t have to have refrigeration, a electric windlass or a head.

I’m not trying to be sarcastic, it’s up to you to decide the level of luxury that you want to cruise with, just don’t forget she has a vote too.
Fuel is almost insignificant, it’s about 150 to 1 and if fuel concerns you get a Spectra and run it with Solar.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 15:45   #38

I love my Seagull IV water filter too! Simply unbeatable.

https://www.seagull-filters.com/seagull-iv-waterfilter/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve01 View Post
Hi,
We have a Seagull water filter on board our newly purchased yacht. We will be putting it on line in the spring. Check it out.
Cheers
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 15:46   #39
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
On a few occassions we've been obliged to pay for potable water, though after fifteen years I doubt if we've yet spent the equivalent cost of one filter-membrane for a watermaker.
I was THIS close to pulling the water maker trigger. I have a pretty good handle on our water usage now after 3 years. But doing a cost review and figuring water use as 50% more than our actual experience, a high cost of buying water at $0.50/gal, and a cheap no thrills watermater, it worked out to over 5 years before the water maker would pay for it’s purchase cost. And that assumes buying all water for the 5 years and 0 operation and maintenance costs on the wm.

I decided it sounded better to just plan on a marina “spa” day every 3-4 weeks.

While I understand and get the “it’s nice to not have to go get water” you still have to go get fuel etc to make it. I’m glad for those that have and love them because it would be sad if they didn’t after spending the money, but even though I Want one one I definitely don’t NEED one.
Old 09-12-2019, 16:43   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The go to get fuel to make water really doesn’t happen. The reason is you make about 150 gls of water per gallon of fuel, if your doing to with a Honda and have two 5 gl jugs on deck, that’s 1500 gls.
But even if you do go to get fuel, what’s heavier and harder to carry, 10 gls of fuel or 1500 gls of water?

Now how long does it take you to go through 1500 gls of water? The boat may need to be refueled first.
Now if I run the built in generator in theory I could make 8,550 gls of water, because my tank is 57 gls.

Then some make water from Solar too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 17:15   #41
CLOD

Doesn’t change for me it’s a 5 year pay back at least

Just because I decided not to have a wm it doesn’t bother me others decided to do so. I don’t understand why it becomes a defensive line.
Old 10-12-2019, 00:24   #42

We lived onboard in the Med for two and a half years and after a week or two of dragging bottles of water back to the boat, we fitted a "Fresh Water" filter. From then on we used whatever water was available at the harbour/etc and had no problems.
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:59   #43

CaptVR here, cruising throughout the Caribbean, when filling with water, I added 1 teaspoon for 10 gallons 2 tablespoons for 50 gallons, and leave it set for a day before use. This was 30 years ago, I would think the water is much better today. At any rate, those are the ratio's I used. That was standard cloths bleach, don't have a clue to the percent strength it was. Cruised for 6 years, never sick, never any growth in my water tanks. I would recommend that any long time cruisers, pull access plates once a year for visual inspection of tank interior. Happy sailing all. Actually, everyone should check their water tank interiors once a year, giving it thought, the boat that sits idle for 8 months, probably has more chance for growing plant life in the water tank. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 13:44   #44

On our boat we drink from the tank when in the EU. We did treat the water obtained from some Turkish ports. Reducing plastic waste and saving our backs from not having to haul water!
Nauti Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 02:22   #45

Boat: Pescott,Whitehaven, 11.7m

I dont like to drink the reverse osmosis water either for long periods .
It depletes the body of minerals .
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, water