Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 08:31   #1

Newport 400 vane pump noise and low flow.

I have an older NP 400 that sat for many years. I replaced the clark pump o rings and membrane. The system has made water for 6 months. Recently the Vane pump has been making more noise. I have checked for leaks and replaced the filters.

Now the pump is making a lot of noise. I have disconnected the vane pump the motor makes normal noise. I have the direct drive vane pump which is rusty inside.

Has anyone rebuilt or taken the direct drive apart?

How does one reach Tellie? Does he have a contact number?

Off in Mex.

Thanks

Gavin
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 17:14   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Newport 400 vane pump noise and low flow.

I'm here, but the news I'm afraid isn't great. The direct drive pump heads haven't been used for years and are no longer supported. You would need to replace the pump and motor to upgrade your system to a Mag drive system. But just in case you haven't checked, look for any air ingress leaks from bad clamps, bad fittings, etc. from the intake thru hull to the input of the feed pump. These pumps will make a lot of racket if air gets into them. They sound like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts. But once the air ingress is resolved they will quiet right down.

You can always PM me as well.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 06:09   #3

Re: Newport 400 vane pump noise and low flow.

Hi Tellie

Thanks for responding. I have the procon vane pump apart and 3 of the 4 vanes were loose inside. Hence the low flow. I am going to clean it up and try the pump and see what happens. If not I will see if I can get a rebuild kit. A new pump is not terrible at $313.00 from Edco
I also have two Sureflow 125PSI pumps on their way as I didn't trust the vane pump after sitting for so long.

Question for you Tellie will my MPC 5000 run the Sureflow pumps or will I need to run in manual?
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport, noise, pump