Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 20:16   #1

Newbie Questions on replacing the Jabsco on a Catalina

Hey there, just got the 1980 Catalina 27 I bought back in the water:

After a few trips out on the water I discovered that the marine head was leaking sewage into the cabin. I'm guessing it's the original toilet.

So I need to order a replacement and install it and then dispose of this one. This is the first boat that I've ever owned and I'm doing absolutely everything on my own. I have a LOT of rudimentary stupid questions that I thought I'd see if I could float here, along with soliciting for any tips that people might have.

This seems to be the replacement for the model I have. Eventually I'd like to get a composting model and remove the waste tank but, having just beaten my finances silly, I thought this would be a simple solution to start with. Does that seem sensible?

I close all the valves running to the toilet to stem the leak. Clearly though there is still waste in the waste tank. Is it a simple maneuver to pump it? I see the connection on the top deck. Before I do it should I open the valves to the toilet again in the hopes of clearing out the lines?

I'm fearful that this is going to be a pretty messy process. I've bought rubber gloves and a masks. Is there any other equipment I should DEFINITELY have on hand besides the tools? (My intention now is to just google for the jabsco process video.)

That sink there is also not working. The mechanic who worked on my boat told me the plumbing was hooked up bizarrely as well, as the drain was running TO the toilet. I'll probably deal with that separately I suppose.

Speaking of, there is still water in the freshwater tank (the foot pump in the galley still works.) I don't know where the freshwater tank is on the boat and the boat was sitting for over a year so I'm not very trustworthy of the water thats in there. I'd like to drain it and perform whatever treatment to the tank is necessary to make sure that the water is safe to drink. Is there a recommended process?

Anyway please forgive my lack of knowledge. We all start someplace.
iannitram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, jabsco