Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 00:14   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
New Water Tank - Stainless or GRP?

I just removed the port side (75 gal) water tank from my Morgan 416. Old polyethylene Tank came out largely intact (had to cut one upper corner off so it would fit thru hatch).

Question is: should I replace with a stainless steel fabricated tank or build a fiberglass one, using vinylester resin with an FDA approved catalyst to kick it off and building the glass tank over the old poly tank as a mold (with appropriate mold preparation).
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:16   #2

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler
why not replace with plastic?

i am removing a 30 year old mild steel water tank and considering the options too. from what i have read stainless steel can leak. fibreglass can break up over time too. seems to me that the modern plastic tanks are ideal. so why not plastic?
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:24   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I would go with a poly tank. You can get them any shape or size.
PolyFab: Marine Waste Water Tanks
Old 12-12-2010, 09:35   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
What prompted you to replace it?
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52   #5

Boat: Leopard 40
Some of the newer cats are going to stainless steel as a safer option than either plastic or poly. I don't know if chemicals leach into the water from the poly but if you decide to use plastic I'd check to see if it is made with BPA.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Stainless suffers from external pinhead corrosion if they are constantly in salt water such as tanks in the bilge. Mine only lasted 4 years. They also can suffer internal pinhead corrosion which is what usually kills SS fuel tanks.

The fiberglass tanks on my current boat are still going strong after 40+ years.

I'd still think about plastic tanks if one is available. Would assume that would be the case since your previous tank was plastic.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 21:02   #7

Boat: Pearson 40
If you can build a tank out of epoxy and glass and coat the inside with a food grade epoxy (to avoid the amine blush released by the epoxy curing process), the tank should last virtually indefinitely. I can give you the address of a good, commercial grade epoxy tank coating used for drinking water if interested.

Only problem would be from reverse osmosis, i.e water penetrating from the inside to the outisde of the tank. However with an epoxy tank and proper coating this should not be the case.

Building a tank out of glass is time consuming, however. Materials should be about half of what a new poly tank would cost but with those, welds are sometimes an issue and are not always an easy fix.
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:11   #8

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
I can give you the address of a good, commercial grade epoxy tank coating used for drinking water if interested.
i would appreciate this info....
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I replaced two stainless steel fresh water tanks that corroded out. I replaced them with polyethylene tanks. I thinks it's the best material for this application. The fiberglass tank you are considering could quite possibly cause your water to taste or smell like the resin you use.

Here is an idea of the cost. I can't imagine it being worthwhile to make your own unless the space is not a rectangular shape and you are trying to maximize the tank volume
http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=12

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:25   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
In case anyone is interested, Dave Gerr states that stainless steel is the only material to use for water tanks.

The longevity of stainless steel tanks is in the proper installation.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:49   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What is Dave Gerr's reasoning? I still think polyethylene is the better technology for this application. It's also completely inert, you will never taste it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 17:26   #12

Boat: Pearson 40
Epoxy Coating

Hello

Are you still in West Palm Beach?

If so, Glue Products (I remember they were on Australian Ave) might still deal with food grade coatings.

I know they are still in business, we used to buy epoxy from them back in the late 80s...

Let me know if not, there is a good place in NC that we used about 5 years ago when we coated our tanks (with good success).

Regards
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 18:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
In case anyone is interested, Dave Gerr states that stainless steel is the only material to use for water tanks.

The longevity of stainless steel tanks is in the proper installation.
And Nigel Calder says metal tanks should not be used for ANYTHING on a boat. I'll go with Nigel's opinion.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:04   #14

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
From a health point of view I would go stainless, We have poly tanks (with no BPA) however plastic leaches into your water (even if you cant taste it) the hotter the tank the more it leaches. Yes stainless has its draw backs (cost etc etc) however why risk cancer for a few hundred bucks...

I know this wont be a popular opinion (and it is just that) however health is a factor that's never really factored in.

Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:38   #15

Boat: Bristol 45.5
The longevity of stainless steel tanks is in the proper installation.[/QUOTE]

I, too, am replacing a water tank. It's plastic with welded seams, is about 6 years old, and one of the seams is leaking. I'm told a seam cannot be rewelded with the tank in the boat. Since I'm removing it anyway, I'll probably replace it. Here's what I've found/concluded;

I now have a distrust of welded plastic seams (I realize the problem could have been improper installation, but.....)

Rotomolded tanks are available in many shpaes and sizes, but do not (cannot?) have baffles. I'm replacing a 70 gallon tank and having 500+ lbs of water sloshing around would seem to put a significant strain on even the best installation. Plus, there's the proper fit issue, unless it's custom made.

Assuming a dry bilge/mounting area, I'm starting to think stainless is the way to go. Now to my question. DeepFrz, you point out the importance of proper installation. Any idea where one would go to gain an understanding of what constitutes proper installation?
SCCatSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water