Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 06:39   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
New Toilet from Raritan- PH SuperFlush

Raritan has just released a new toilet designed to be a drop in replacement for the Jabsco manual toilet.
It uses the proven PH pump.
The mounting holes on the base match the mounting holes on the Jabsco.
You can buy the base and pump without a bowl and reuse your Jabsco bowl.
If you buy it with a bowl, you get a soft close toilet seat as well.
If you're not happy with your manual Jabsco toilet, the larger diameter PH pump is a nice upgrade.
PH SuperFlush – Raritan Engineering
Old 09-05-2016, 06:49   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: New Toilet from Raritan- PH SuperFlush

Good idea.
I loved my PH 11, used it 14 years with only 1 complete overhaul and minor servicing.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58   #3
Marine Service Provider

FYI, the PH SuperFlush actually replaces both the PHII and the PHC (compact version of the PHII). As you noted, it uses the PHII pump...the base is the same one as their Fresh Head, so they both are "plug and play" replacements for a Jabsco manual.

The Fresh Head is the only MANUAL toilet designed to use pressurized fresh water from the onboard potable water system. It does NOT use the PHII pump. Raritan Fresh Head

And as long we're talkiing about "plug and play" replacements for Jabsco...the Raritan SeaEra--macerating electric toilet--is "P&P" replacement for the Jabsco 37010 series...even the mounting bolt patterns are a match. Bowl can be recycled for it too, with the "conversion" available in both sea water and fresh water version. SeaEra Conversion Kit
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 18:48   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Raritan has just released a new toilet designed to be a drop in replacement for the Jabsco manual toilet.
It uses the proven PH pump.
The mounting holes on the base match the mounting holes on the Jabsco.
You can buy the base and pump without a bowl and reuse your Jabsco bowl.
If you buy it with a bowl, you get a soft close toilet seat as well.
If you're not happy with your manual Jabsco toilet, the larger diameter PH pump is a nice upgrade.
PH SuperFlush – Raritan Engineering
Hop--The original equipment heads on our boat at the Brydon Boy units that were, supposedly, the forerunner of the Jabsco heads. Ours have worked very well and reliably for, essentially, 30 years. Unfortunately, however, we can no longer find replacement lip-seals for the pump shaft and so it seems that we're confronted with having to replace the units entirely. I'm wondering if you know whether the Raritan base and pump kit might match the original Brydon Boy base bolt pattern. Yes?

Thanks...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 19:22   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It's been a long time since I've seen a Brydon Boy but I don't think the mounting holes are the same. Peggie will probably know for sure. At some point Jabsco made major changes to the base and I think they had to move the mounting holes. You should be able to salvage the bowl which will save you a few bucks.
Old 09-05-2016, 22:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

The Brydon Boy was a Canadian version of the Par/Jabsco manual toilet, made under a licensing agreement with Jabsco. Brydon went out of business in the early '80s. Jabsco continued to support it--and the Mansfield/SeaLand 751 & 752 manual toilets, also discontinued in the early-to mid '80s--with a "universal" service kit. They discontinued it in the early '90s.

No...the mounting bolt patterns for the current Jabsco manual will not fit the Brydon....they don't fit most, if any, of the previous Jabsco manual toilets either. So the new Raritan manuals won't fit your existing pattern either. However, filling the existing holes and drilling new ones is a fairly easy job.

There are only two U.S. toilet mfrs left who build equipment that isn't "disposable"...purposely designed and mfr'd to last only a few years...Groco and Raritan. Wilcox-Crittenden is gone...and Jabsco now makes everything in Mexico using parts and components sourced from China and other offshore countries. Which doesn't really make 'em any different from most of the mfr's of everything else these days.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:46   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There are only two U.S. toilet mfrs left who build equipment that isn't "disposable"...purposely designed and mfr'd to last only a few years...Groco and Raritan. Wilcox-Crittenden is gone...and Jabsco now makes everything in Mexico using parts and components sourced from China and other offshore countries. Which doesn't really make 'em any different from most of the mfr's of everything else these days.
Which is why we are sticking with Lavac, actually. I hate the idea of a disposible head.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:58   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
There are only two U.S. toilet mfrs left who build equipment that isn't "disposable"...purposely designed and mfr'd to last only a few years...Groco and Raritan.
My boat came with two Groco toilets, HF models. Based on the many recommendations and reviews I have thought about changing to a Raritan but the Grocos work well and parts are readily available and inexpensive. The only two things I don't like, the little up/down pump handle as opposed to the lever handle on the Raritan and the tiny little round bowl on the Groco.

If I could swap to a larger bowl I could live with the pump. I see the Groco K series toilets offer a household size bowl. Any idea if that bowl will fit the HF series base? Or, should I just go ahead and swap over to a Raritan? In that case any idea if the mounting holes are similar to the Groco HF?

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
In that case any idea if the mounting holes are similar to the Groco HF?
This entire mounting hole "issue" is such a hoot!!!

In every single boating forum I read, and I read a lot of 'em, the recurring question is always: "How do I get to the nuts down below?"

The builder couldn't so why should we? They are LAG bolts. All one has to do is remove one to learn.

The mounting hole pattern difference makes NO difference.

Seal the old holes (silicone, Marine Tex, your choice) and just slap in the Raritan.

Done.

While it is "nice" that Raritan has done this, it is NOT essential is the scheme of swapping an old head, for whatever reason, to a new one.

I know: I swapped out old HeadMates for years until I got my PHII.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:18   #10

Boat: Bristol 45.5

How about Headhunter, they are still in business , all though pricey , they make quality stuff . I have one of there Mach 5 domestic pumps on board and two of there heads , well sort of, I changed a few things on there heads .

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:35   #11
Marine Service Provider

I THINK Groco offers a household size bowl to fit the HF...it's worth asking.
410-604-3800.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:38   #12

Is it possible to change from the sea water SeaEra to freshwater SeaEra? Would it be difficult?
Sailgirl58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:39   #13
Marine Service Provider

HeadHunter and Galley Maid only offer heavy duty electric toilets...they're mostly only found on large yachts. They are excellent, but in addition to being very pricy, the only source for parts and tech support are their main (one and only) plants in FL.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

Jabsco toilets are "disposable," but Groco and Raritan build toilets that are high quality and very durable, especially if maintained at all.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:43   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This entire mounting hole "issue" is such a hoot!!!

In every single boating forum I read, and I read a lot of 'em, the recurring question is always: "How do I get to the nuts down below?"

The builder couldn't so why should we? They are LAG bolts. All one has to do is remove one to learn.

The mounting hole pattern difference makes NO difference.

Seal the old holes (silicone, Marine Tex, your choice) and just slap in the Raritan.

Done.

While it is "nice" that Raritan has done this, it is NOT essential is the scheme of swapping an old head, for whatever reason, to a new one.

I know: I swapped out old HeadMates for years until I got my PHII.
It's not really an issue as far as getting a head with different bolt patterns secured, it's cosmetic. Sure you can fill the old holes with whatever if the new holes don't line up but then, unless you're really lucky and the old holes are hidden by the new installation, you have obviously patched places where the old holes were filled.

I guess I could sand and paint the whole area (pun intended) or try to match the gelcoat where the old holes show but it is a lot easier if you don't have to make new holes.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, raritan