Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2016, 16:51   #1

New to me head

Hi all! I recently purchased a used boat with 2 jabsco electric maceator heads on board. Just wondering how they work. Take a leak and push the button and water comes down, motor kicks in and it's gone. My concern is that the bowl doesn't hold any water at all. To do do other "business " I find I have to fill up a large cup with water from the tap and pour it into the bowl before starting or things can get a little nasty. Is this how they work? Do I have to manually put water in each time? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yamamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 17:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New to me head

Your toilets are working exactly the way they're designed to work. There are some high end all china "thrones" that have flush options which include bringing in water and holding it ahead of use, but yours is not one them. Adding water using a cup is the only way to to do it. You're one of the few people who ever thinks to do that!

Apparently you don't have the owners manual for them...if they use "raw" (sea, lake, river) water, they're they're either model 37010 Jabsco 37010 owners manual or 37245 Jabsco Quiet Flush FW owners manual If they use onboard pressurized fresh water they're model 37045 Jabsco Quiet Flush FW owners manual

If you need more help, you're welcome to contact me directly.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 18:20   #3

Yep it would be the 37010 model with the raw lake water feed. Looks like the next model up would be the one where you can adjust the water level in the bowl. Is there a kit to upgrade to that model or does the whole toilet need replacing?
Thanks for the info!!!

Old 22-06-2016, 18:56   #4

And another question. When I do add water to the bowl, it does empty out over a short period of time. Is this how it is supposed to function as well? Or would that indicate a faulty seal or leak?

Old 22-06-2016, 20:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

It may or may not leak out over time...there is a rubber valve--it's called a joker valve--in the discharge fitting that can block any leakage when it's brand new, but will allow slow leakage in a short time. It's job is to block BACK flow, not prevent the toilet bowl from draining. There's no reason for toilets to hold water between uses...it's not necessary to add any ahead of urine only, and it's easy enough to pour it into the bowl immediately ahead of solids or TP.

Looks like the next model up would be the one where you can adjust the water level in the bowl. Is there a kit to upgrade to that model or does the whole toilet need replacing?

It might be necessary to upgrade further than that...and yes, it would require replacing the toilet, which would cost you upwards of $500 each. You can buy a lot of paper cups for that much money.

You've just bought this boat...Spend some time getting a LOT better acquainted with it and finding out what NEEDS replacing before you head off replacing anything for a little convenience. And always keep in mind that it's NOT a condo. it's a BOAT. In a condo, everything is just an appliance...on a boat everything is a component in a system...and anything you do to any component in a system impacts the whole system. So spend a LOT of time LEARNING about boats before you start to make any major (aka expensive) changes...'cuz it's real easy to spend a fortune making things worse instead of better.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 20:53   #6

Good advice. Thanks for the info!!

Old 22-06-2016, 23:18   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Yep, Peggy is a lot more than just a pretty face! Really good advice in her post, as usual.

Jim
Old 23-06-2016, 12:27   #8

Boat: KP 46

I have two of these heads on my boat (the fresh water versions 37045) and they are good reliable heads.

One thing you need to watch for though:
If you look at the manual Peggy has conveniently attached Item 22 “Seal Housing”

Many people service this head and repair or replace seals etc. When you put it back together make absolutely sure the little square cutout in the circular part goes to the bottom. This is a drain hole for when the seal item 19 starts leaking (and it will). If it is not down, the housing will hold water and the 4 dollar bearing will quickly rust and you will have to replace the $200 dollar motor. You will know the bearing is bad because the head will make a terrible noise when flushed, and eventually freeze up.

It would be a good idea to look at your head now to make sure it is assemble correctly as this will save you a LOT of money. When you start seeing liquid around the bottom of the bowl it is most likely the seal has started leaking and should be replaced ASAP.

Just a note, the fresh water version has a two way switch that allows water in without pumping, it uses very little water to flush and solves two problems associated with sea water heads. 1, no sulfur smell from dead sea water creatures when you have not used the heads for a week, and 2, no salt build up inside the discharge hoses. A true blessing.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 06:45   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamike View Post
Hi all! I recently purchased a used boat with 2 jabsco electric maceator heads on board. Just wondering how they work. Take a leak and push the button and water comes down, motor kicks in and it's gone. My concern is that the bowl doesn't hold any water at all. To do do other "business " I find I have to fill up a large cup with water from the tap and pour it into the bowl before starting or things can get a little nasty. Is this how they work? Do I have to manually put water in each time? Thanks!!!

Not yet a live aboard but getting closer. However we did live in our 5th wheel RV for 4 years.

I've read many posts on this forum stating "nothing goes in the toilet that doesn't go through your body first" along with details about putting used TP in bags for disposal on shore at some point. At least I assume on shore, no one comes out and says they dump it over the side while at sea.

Based on the above post I would ask: Since it is a macerator, is it OK to flush TP?

If it is OK then maybe an RV solution to nasty would help. We always made sure there was a little water in the bowl and then you take two strips of 2 squares each of the RV TP (ultra light, single ply, falls apart easily) and lay them criss-cross style on top of the water. You would be surprised how much coverage you can get with those 4 little squares. Anyway, once you are done and flush, all the solids slide right out on the paper with no muss, no fuss. Really limits post business cleanup trying to get rid of skid marks in the bowl. A benefit is it saves a lot of water by minimal, if any, residue removal.

Alas, this land based solution may not work on the high seas. I guess I will find out when we get "out there" and I can try it. If anyone has tried it maybe they can offer their results?

Tags
head