Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 17:21   #1

Boat: Bristol 27.7
New Head and Hose Upgrade

First a quick background: New boat owner (1979 Bristol 27.7). Original plumbing and head. Wife wants new toilet (go figure....cheap fix to get her sailing). Current plumbing configuration: Raw water intake to flush, then a gate valve to divert to holding tank or over board. Holding tank uses either deck pump or manual (whale gusher) to overboard.
Nice old frozen Wilcox-Crittenden seacocks.

The plan is to keep the seacocks after dismantling, lapping and greasing. Changing all sanitation hose to Trident green stripe.

The question: Being a traditionalist, should I re-plumb as original? OR...eliminate the "Y" valve and send the toilet waste only to the holding tank? I will still have the option to manually pump the holding tank should conditions allow.
AND...if I do the latter, I will have an unused seacock. should that be capped off with a section of hose leading above the waterline, or just closed off?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and opinions.

Jeff
Deltaville, VA
JRD27.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 17:41   #2

Re: New Head and Hose Upgrade

have you considered a compost toilet? benefits are no through hulls, no hoses, no seacocks, maintenance free, no odors. disadvantage is the price -- around $1000.
Notpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 19:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

I'd replumb ALMOST as original...the exceptions being:

1. Unless the head sink and toilet are on opposite sides of the keel, reroute the head intake line to tee into the head sink drain line...you can use that thru-hull for a washdown pump.

2. replace the gate valve with a proper y-valve.

Your best choice for a new toilet is the Raritan PHC--the compact version of the PHII, which has been top rated in the industry for more than 20 years. It uses the PH II pump, but on a compact base and with a shorter handle to fit in a tighter space. You can save quite a bit of money by going with the "conversion"--everything but the bowl...check that out here: sbo.com PHII PHC LBA

Trident 101 ("green stripe") is the best choice for 1.5" hose...Shields or Trident #148 is ok for the head intake and tank vent lines.

Email me if you need more specific help than is practical in in a discussion forum.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 19:11   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
have you considered a compost toilet? benefits are no through hulls, no hoses, no seacocks, maintenance free, no odors. disadvantage is the price -- around $1000.
Notpopeye -
Have you installed a composting toilet on a 1979 Bristol 27?
Just wondering.
Old 23-03-2012, 20:27   #5

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I plumbed my old 30 Hunter and after, plumbed my 40' Silverton with pvc pipe. Just got fed up with stink. And the stuff is soooo inexpensive.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 04:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 04:38   #7

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Now when you are at it why not get Lavac.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 09:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

The Lavac is a fine toilet...it and the Raritan PH II are the only manual toilets I recommend. However, while it's a great choice for adult live-aboard cruisers who rarely if ever have landlubber guests aboard, it's not a good choice for the typical "weekend warrior" who does entertain landlubber guests and relatives...'cuz "close the lid, pump X times..." etc intimidates the bejabbers out of 'em...whereas MOST of 'em can grasp, "just pump X times to flush it" if you don't try to explain the wet and dry bowl functions too.

So while both toilets are excellent equipment, which to choose depends on who's gonna use it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 09:51   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The only thing I would add is to search this forum and others regarding vents and holding tank odor. You may want to consider upgrading that system at the same time. You didn't say whether you had enough time with the boat to know if there were holding tank odor issues.

My vent was located just up-wind of a hatch; hopefully you are more fortunate!
Old 24-03-2012, 10:12   #10

I would leave it as setup. It sounds like it has one gate valve...? that would indicate it is setup to not need a Y valve. Personally I hate Y valves... all the ones I tried are cheap plastic and dont operate well once they ahve been in service for a while. You might upgrade to a good ball valve though. I hope you are not replacing a good old bronze Groco or W/C head with one of the newer pieces of crap...? If so, you could just rebuild the good one and put a new bowl on it.... make it new....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:17   #11

Boat: Bristol 27.7

Thanks everybody.
Yes...there are holding tank odors. The tank is very solid. The hose has not only permeated, but is actually cracked where it exits the manual overboard pump. Although that line leads to a vented loop, then to a seized shut seacock, I'm sure some nasty stuff in there adding to the bouquet.
Fortunately, the tank is quite clean thanks to a bleach wash and half a dozen clean water rinses in preperation for the job ahead. Any real bad odor exits after opening all the hatches for a few minutes. It's just time for an overhaul.
Yes...I have read many posts on this and some other blogs about holding tank and head issues. Priceless input from thinkers to first hand experience. I feel well armed going into this project. Thanks again to all contributions.
JRD27.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:18   #12

Boat: Moody 42

I'll second the Lavac recommendation. Simple and very dependable.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head