Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
New Dry flush head

I'm considering this head for replacement of our standard setup. Below is a link to the head that I'm interested in. Space will be my biggest issues, so we'll see if this will even fit, being it has a normal size bowl. Has anybody ever used one of these? My concern is its so new that if the company doesn't do well and goes out of business, then I can't get the refills. If I did get this head I would keep all plumbing in place incase I had to change it out again. Any additional thoughts on this are appreciated.

DryFlush | The Waterless Toilet

Dave
1986 Tayana 37
S/V Isla Hope
Portsmouth, Ri
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05   #2

Boat: Morgan 383
Re: New Dry flush head

This is not a good choice for anyone who will be cruising for more than a few days. The unit stores waste in proprietary plastic bags and their website claims they are good for 15 uses. If you need more storage, you replace the bag and store the full one, which you dispose of on shore.
I suspect that it is illegal to dispose of human waste in garbage cans. One can also imagine what happens when (not if) a bag is punctured while in storage.
I don't have direct experience with composting toilets, but a friend who has one is very satisfied. A composting toilet is a better choice in my opinion.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16   #3

Boat: hunter 376

This has real potential. Assuming there is a way to dispose of the containers afterwards, as Dale pointed out. Storage of the "full" containers on board should present no more problems than simply using a small plastic tote. I wonder if the storage modules are bio-degradable? This would also have some potential in 2 head boats, perhaps a traditional head flushing overboard, and one of these units for in-port use. Think about removing holding tanks, through hull fittings, hose, ect.
Im going to check these out.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

OK ... I didn't study the whole website, but isn't this just a fancy wag-bag?

The way it works seems kinda cool, but I certainly wouldn't want one on my boat. First off, while the mechanism seems interesting, it looks complex. When the vacuum fails or the twisty mechanism dies, you'd be in trouble. The volume limits (~15 deposits per bag) are pretty small in my books. You are required to use proprietary bags, and I'm not sure I'd want to put my faith in bagged liquid sewage if it had to be stored on the boat for any length of time.

From my brief look, I'd say any of the composting-style heads would be a much better option. And yes, I have one (Nature's Head).

Tags
head