Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-02-2009, 16:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
I must be doing something wrong. Have three Jabscos on two boats and no complaints. Just grease them with vaseline when they get sticky and change the joker valve every couple of years.

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 17:53   #17

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Um, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 00:26   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
I am also in the camp of not rebuilding but buying. At $100-$200 a head and if they last 5-7 years, then for me it's a no brainer...BUY!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 01:43   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I . The lever which switches from wet to dry would not stay on the dry position,

.......and the pump now leaks badly around the edges of the top.
You must put the lever to the LEFT "in" position when refitting it. It tells you to do this in the instructions.

The leak is because yoiu need to screw the 6 screws in EVENLY. Just like a car tire (tyre in Aussie) do one screw a bit then its opposite partner. Do them all and get tighter and tighter. remember if one is a bit more screwed in than the rest it will not be flat and it will leak on the opposite side

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:03   #20

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Whoops - a bit of clarification about "don't fix - replace". I recommend unloading the Jabsco gear because, frankly, I think it's an inferior product all around. I recommend the move to Raritan Engineering products because a) their products are more robust and their designs are ...well... superior, not inferior, and b) because the items that need maintenance due to normal wear and tear are easier to replace and are less expensive. Ripping out the old head every few years and putting in a new one, regardless of the vendor, is simply financially and ecologically ill-advised.

DISCLAIMER: I have no connection with Raritan Engineering save as a customer.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 08:42   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
I bought a Raritan PHII at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show last summer, immediately installed it, and have been quite happy so far. What a relief to not have to deal with that %$#!!* (literally and figuratively) Jabsco anymore!
Old 24-02-2009, 09:25   #22

Boat: prout event 34
The J in Jabsco if for JUNK. Our policy is to get all junk off the boat. If you are not having problems with your Jabsco terlit you will - soon.
Old 24-02-2009, 12:05   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Iíve had two Brydon Boy (Jabsco Manual*) toilets last over 20 years, without any repaire at all - the second performing full-time live-aboard service ( 10 years).

Although your mileage may vary, I cannot say anything bad about the very inexpensive Jabsco head.

The old 1970/80's Brydon Boy* was a very well made toilet, far better and more durable than anything in its price range made today.

* The Brydon Boy was a Canadian version of the Jabsco manual, built in Canada under a licensing agreement. Brydon went out of business in the early 1980's.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 15:39   #24

Am another who has had no problems with the Jabsco toilets over many years.

Seems to be a small number of users who have the various problems described - I put it down to (in the main because there can be duds of any product when it comes from assembly) failure to read or follow the instructions with the maintenance kits (RTFM!), "ham fistedness" when doing the 6 valve cover screws up (and as MarkJ points out, not doing them up evenly as is good engineering practice) and using the wrong maintenance kit (that despite the very clear instructions on the package label as to which is which of the two types).

Is only a 5 minute job to completely service one of these toilets and very clean as the piston and cylinder are self cleaning and all the valving (except the joker) are on the clean water side (unlike the Lavacs, for example - keep your hair on Lavac owners, I am not criticising them just using them as an example ).

Anyone who claims other toilets are by nature problem free have experience limited to just their own singular lucky use with those others - I have seen them all with issues. Those issues can cost as much or more to fix as a whole replacement Jabsco .

What I have found is good for lubricating the piston is the silicon based runny, slimy lubricant used by plumbers/fitters for sliding rubber ring seals onto large diameter pipes - here it can be bought in big tubes and a squirt of that after lifting the valve cover seems to work well and is no danger to the seals and o'rings. If the stickiness comes back a few days after a dose of that then it is generally that the O'ring needs replacing.
Old 05-03-2009, 14:02   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On a budget I've had pretty good luck with the little Jabsco, the user ratings are lower for the Raritan at 2.5 times the price. It is a cheap little appliance though and definitely not a Wilcox Captain....
Old 05-03-2009, 20:08   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Remove the Jabsco and disassemble. Count all the parts. Marvel at the expenditure of engineering it took to design, build and market that pile of parts. Toss this collection in an environmentally appropriate waste disposal site and purchase a Lavac. Forget how long it has been since you performed any head maintenance.
Old 06-03-2009, 00:07   #27

this is a heated debate, almost as much as which anchor is the best one.

my experience is that if you do not use the jabsco head regularly (every day) it will eventually fail, if you do not keep it clean, it will eventually fail. this is the same as for any other marine part on any boat, including the fancy heads like the lavac.

I have used the jabsco head on my boat for three years as a liveaboard, I have two of them, but the one I use the all of the time I have had to replave the piston o-ring, the joker valve (once a year), and the piston shaft seal. the other head while it has seen less use has more problems. I will be removing the second head and buying another set of parts for the jabsco I have.

*note- you can buy just the joker valve at fisheriessupply in seattle for about $8-9. and the o-ring for the piston can be found at any auto parts supplier.

joey
Old 06-03-2009, 06:10   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
I am surprised to see that others have had good luck with Jabscos. I have personal experience with two of them and have talked to numerous individuals who've had "contact" with them (in the maintenance, not deposit, mode). This is the first I have heard anything but universal disdain for these porcelain and plastic monstrosities.

I am the kind of person that really needs to be convinced to pay more. I don't generally believe it's a case of "you get what you pay for" (in fact, I find more often it's the opposite). But $150 extra to prevent my having to disassemble and repair a poorly-engineered sh*t can is money well spent.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07   #29

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
toilet repair

Simple answer.
Change to a lavac the BEST and least problimatic marine loo on the market and you have a spare bilge pump as well

Tags
jabsco

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: