Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 21:53   #16

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21
Re: Need Heat on Beneteau !

I like to have a vent on any flame type heater, partly for safety, and partly to take out the moist air, so the cabin isn't clammy when it gets cold and in the morning. I really like a wood stove for heat, but it takes up a lot of room and you need wood storage as well.

The dickenson propane furnaces are around $1000 for the 12000 btu model (I think) with a built in fan and a section of stack. Google Dickenson Marine Heaters.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

To my mind the main objection to a Dickenson/Reflex/pot burner is that they don't like to burn on a heel. Also they want a fairly tall and good sized stack. They are stone simple, which is good.

If I was at the dock the vast majority of the time then that would be a fine choice.

But those concerns pushed me to forced air.

Compromises abound.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:28   #18

Boat: 1970 morgan 28

I only have a small boat [28'] so heat is not a prob.however ,if I[just my 2 cents],had a larger vessel I would go with the propane system,for it's simplicity in use;havign said that,cabin fans are another thing to "break down",while offshore.what I would do is,use stainless steel tubular duct through uot the boat ,but put guct "closer gates",in each cabin/space,that way you are directing heat/ac only to the cabin[s] where you want !!!!if you have a [prob] with filling area with heat/air use a small 12v fan on closer gate in each cabin.this system works well on a 60'vessel I helped design years ago,and as far as I know they are running the A/C even now ,doen in the America's !!! hope this helps PPS: solar fans cut power costs aboard.later zenkayaker,capt'n of the MOKEN "enjoy your day's,and,remember your night's" "the only EASYDAY,was,YESTERDAY" S Y O T W somewhere
zenkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:58   #19

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I put a heater on the engine like the car. The heater cost me $110 with shipping from Red Dot. It is a school bus heater. While motering it's free heat and keeps the cabin nice and warm. Since I run my Honda 2000 when anchored to charge batteries etc. I use a electric ceramic heater from Walmart $30 and then just an electric blanket at night if needed. so the $1000 that I saved I use for gas in the evening.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21   #20

Boat: CS 40
My unit is in locker no problem with heat short exhaust pipe to deck valve diesel is very safe being on boat 1995 boat has survey twice cleared with flying colors I do recommend wallas heater
COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25   #21

My unit is the Wallas 3000 D which I think is same 30 DT which heats up my CS 40 no problem
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27   #22

I have worked on charter boats as a charter rep. A few of them had Webasto or Espars under the berths. So I guess heat is not much of an issue. The unit I had years ago pulled in fresh air from the small stack, it was a tube within a tube and was an exhaust stack as well as an inlet stack. Good point though, should check out the mfg's recommendations. The main point is if you can locate it somewhere central, two short ducts will heat two cabins....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:53   #23

Wallas heater is same pipe inside pipe to valve on deck twist to open valve works well
Old 01-03-2012, 13:15   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

You don't have to duct through the bilge. On my boat, I was able to come in through cabinets in the aft cabin and then behind galley cabinetry to the settee in the saloon. All ducting was just above the level of the cabin sole.

I'm not familiar enough with your boat to know whether this is possible, but it's amazing how easy it was to establish a pathway on my boat.
Old 01-03-2012, 15:31   #25

Yeah, most are through cabinetry. Takes up a lot of room though and some big hole boring required in tight conditions!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:39   #26

Boat: Heritage 35

have an Espar 3000 in my 35 ftr. Unit in Lazzaret large duct to salon smaller ducts to head and one at the foot of the vberth.Works a treat. did the install myself hardest part was cutting a 4 inch hole in a bulkhead! the Proff. wanted to install in sail locker and run ducting through lockers with a corresponding lack of storage. didn't like that idea so ran it along the top of 1/4berth added a higher base and gained a lt of dry chart storage then in behind settee and into the head with an outlet at ones feet and then into the vberth under the berths. This has cut a way down on condensation and mildew and warms the boat up quite nicely.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 16:50   #27

Thanks everybody for the feedback on this. I am looking at all options, but still cannot see a logical path for the ducting. Lazzarette to mid cabin on starboard looks doable, mid cabin forward on port looks OK, but no crossover point, and also aft cabin bit of a problem. Was hoping somebody with the same boat would see my post and be able to offer up a solution. Oh well, I will be patient.
RussCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:00   #28

Here's a wild idea, can you install one under/in your settee table? is it a big table? enclose it with teak to cut the noise down and just aim one outlet forward and one aft?

Old 04-03-2012, 17:03   #29

That's interesting and yes we have a large table. What tyoe of heater do you think would work under the table?
RussCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 17:32   #30

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

There is a reason Dickinson diesel heaters are so popular in the PNW - they are inexpensive and work well. If you were not living aboard then propane for occasional use is great, but for liveaboards that means a lot of hauling of gas cylinders. It is a lot easier to motor to the fuel dock for diesel. Either the bulkhead mount (e.g. Newport) or floorstanding units would work. Forget the cute 12V fans at the marine store - they have a service life of 1000-2000 hours tops. The square "computer" electronic cooling fans have MTBFs of 30k-50k hours (look for roller bearings). I use a 120mm square one and it does the job.

While the other, more expensive solutions are more convenient to use, they are a lot less reliable and take up far too much room for the hoses. Just something to consider...
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau