Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 13:52   #1

Boat: Norseman 400
NEED ADVICE! How to extend the life of the Seagull IV water purification filters?

We have a General Ecology water purification system on our boat that takes the Seagull IV filter. The system appears to work properly and is in great, clean condition. We think it is original to the boat, so 28 years old. The GE literature says a new filter should last for about 1,000 gallons. We have not been getting that result. Our stainless steel water tanks have been thoroughly inspected and sanitized. There is no debris in the tanks. The pressure tank is new. The water lines are clear and clean.

How can we objectively tell when the filter needs to be changed? We have never (not once) experienced a decrease in flow rate (as their advertisement suggests), but the taste changed after after three months on a new filter. Spending $105 dollars every three months on a new filter will dent our cruising budget. At that rate, buying bottled water would be less expensive, but a serious transporting and storage hassle. I am concerned about pathogens, as we are traveling in Mexico and the dock water here is not potable. (So, until we figure this out, we have been buying the clear blue 20 liter carboys of drinking water for $3 each.)

We tested the Seagull IV water and bottled water with a PPM (parts per million) meter. The purchased bottled water read 5 ppm. The Seagull IV water read 344 ppm. Clearly there is a difference. But what should the cut-off point be? And ppm of what substance? There's a huge difference between 300 ppm of calcium in the water and 300 ppm of Giardiasis.

What are we doing incorrectly? What are we missing? How can we insure the Seagull Water is safe to drink and also extend the life of the filters?

I've emailed the company directly, but no response yet.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 14:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
NEED ADVICE! How to extend the life of the Seagull IV water purification filt...

I have one of those filters myself, mine came with the boat too, and I believe it is from1987 too.
I put a filter in it more than any other reason because I can, but having aluminum tanks I am chlorine paranoid and all water that goes into my tank goes through a charcoal cartridge filter as charcoal absorbs chlorine. I go through them about every two or three months using about 150 gl a week.
I haven't changed the seagull filter yet, and we get no taste, but I think running all our water through an activated filter may be why.

Oh the activated charcoal 10 inch filters run about $7 ea I think.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 22:26   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: NEED ADVICE! How to extend the life of the Seagull IV water purification filters?

Have you cleaned your tank(s) and changed out your hose lately?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 22:30   #4

Re: NEED ADVICE! How to extend the life of the Seagull IV water purification filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Have you cleaned your tank(s) and changed out your hose lately?
Yeeessss, see original post...
Old 24-02-2016, 06:28   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We also have an older SeaGull filter but like A64Pilot, we pre-filter all the water out of our tanks through a Pentek activated charcoal filter (C2 cartridges) and so only seem to have to change the SeaGull filters infrequently, usually only annually. I do change out the Pentek cartridges about every 2-3 months.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:00   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

a. Carboys purchased in Mexico are not guarantee of safe water. Not a regulated industry.

b. Carbon does not absorb chlorine, it reactes with it, the chlorine burns the carbon, creating salt and CO2. Thus...

c. The ability of a carbon filter to remove free chlorine is MUCH greater than its ability to remove tastes.

I suggest that you kill the off-tastes by chlorinating (the taste is probably sulfurous and the result of sulfate in the water being reduced to sulfide by microorganisms--the carbon can take it out for a while, but chlorine works better). This also improves water safety, since any water filter can by-pass if there is a wrinkle in the gasket. Belt and suspenders.

As for General Ecology, switch to Pentek carbon block filters and cut your cost by about 8-10 times. Take the bugs out just the same and parts (non-propitiatory)are available world wide. Flowplus 10 or Microguard.

Tap Water that’s Better than Bottled - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article
Old 24-02-2016, 07:48   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hope this isn't much of a thread drift, but does anyone now of a UV light source that could be put in the tank for disinfection? Not an inline light / filter. I'd ideally like to find a UV source that could be turned on periodically with the idea of killing any growth in the tank before it takes hold.
Old 24-02-2016, 07:53   #8
tml

Boat: Lafitte 44

We have used the same Sea gull filter at the galley sink since 1989. Generaly change filters annually, sometimes 24 months.
The only time we have seen the noticeable taste change is when hot water went through the filter. It will definitely break them down.
For us that happened when the fresh water line from the tank was laying beside and touching the engine hot water line going to our water heater. Engine on for a few hours
and the cold water line is the same 178 degrees as the engine. We put some pipe foam insulation around the water line and problem solved.
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 09:20   #9

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I hope this isn't much of a thread drift, but does anyone now of a UV light source that could be put in the tank for disinfection? Not an inline light / filter. I'd ideally like to find a UV source that could be turned on periodically with the idea of killing any growth in the tank before it takes hold.
How about this one?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tank Master Ultraviolet Liquid Storage Sanitizer.pdf (182.8 KB, 96 views)
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 09:27   #10

Boat: Ontario32

Okay I am reading the thread and like others we have the seagull on board sine 2005. However can anyone name a current retailer or distributor. The listed dealer here in Ontario cant deliver and claims the filter is no longer produced.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 09:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew of Turning View Post
Okay I am reading the thread and like others we have the seagull on board sine 2005. However can anyone name a current retailer or distributor. The listed dealer here in Ontario cant deliver and claims the filter is no longer produced.
You can buy them on Amazon.com. From Seagull. $110 + $10 shipping.
Old 24-02-2016, 09:56   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Yeeessss, see original post...
You did not say anything about the tank.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:01   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Or about the same from Defender
Old 24-02-2016, 10:14   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
How about this one?

Looks ideal, I think. Need to call the manufacturer and get specifics.

But what am I missing? wouldn't a way to disinfect your water tank, without chemicals be desirable? With aluminum tanks, I'm afraid of chlorine, so that is my primary consideration, but other than the power required to run it, whats the drawback with UV disinfection?
Old 24-02-2016, 10:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

There is another make of filter that claims to be the same, that will fit in the housing, but I have no experience with it.
My cartridge is at least a yr old, but we only draw water through it for cooking and drinking, I should also have pointed out that water from my tank goes through an identical 10" charcoal canister filter right after the water pump, I was getting little lime deposits out of the tank that was clogging the tiny screens on my sink so I installed a filter as it's cheap and easy and use the same filter cartridge, so water that goes to the Seagull filter is already double filtered by two 5 micron charcoal filters.
It really shouldn't have much to filter.

Tags
water