Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 02:08   #61

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: NEED ADVICE! How to extend the life of the Seagull IV water purification filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I would be concerned with the toilet contaminating your fresh water unless you use a dedicated supply tank.
Household porcelain cistern gravity feeding down to porcelain macerating toilet.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 04:23   #62

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: NEED ADVICE! How to extend the life of the Seagull IV water purification filters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I would be concerned with the toilet contaminating your fresh water unless you use a dedicated supply tank.

Nah it’s a raritan elegance designed for fresh water flush. Check valve and solenoid. Doesn’t use a lot of water and lack of smell is transcendent [emoji3] if you care about these things
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 12:40   #63

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
We have a seagull IV. My solution to preserve filter is to have it go only to a dedicated spigot. Why does my shower and toilet flush water need to be purified and waste filter life?
As far as the showers your skin and lungs (yes breathing in the Mist that contains bleach Etc) can absorb all sorts of contaminants. When filling water tanks it only makes sense to pre-filter it. But I understand the argument of having bleach in your water until right before you use it. Personally I've never had the water that I pre filter into jugs go bad. But I have had algae in my main tanks and hoses.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 14:35   #64

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
As far as the showers your skin and lungs (yes breathing in the Mist that contains bleach Etc) can absorb all sorts of contaminants. When filling water tanks it only makes sense to pre-filter it. But I understand the argument of having bleach in your water until right before you use it. Personally I've never had the water that I pre filter into jugs go bad. But I have had algae in my main tanks and hoses.
I would think the optimum setup would be to use a sediment (no charcoal, maybe 20 micron) filter for filling the tanks. (I just bought one that connects directly to the garden hose, cannot remember the specific specs). Then use a simple 5 or 10 micron prefilter for the whole boat then a dedicated NSF 53 filter for drinking water.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 13:29   #65

Like I said I understand why you would leave (not filter out)bleach in your main tanks until right before you use it. But I'm just going to repeat that your skin and lungs absorb present toxins when taking a shower. Also my NSF 53 filter lasts for over a year filtering all the water I use so it's not really an extra expense. My system is two standard 10 inch filters a cheap one and then the NSF 53 and then "aquarium" charcoal that I change every couple of months.
Old 27-03-2018, 13:43   #66

And I understand that some if not most think this is going overboard but it really doesn't cost that much to do soClick image for larger version

Name:	20170819_141312.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	167194

Tags
water