Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 18:54   #121
Marine Service Provider

Re: Nature's Head (?) - Seriously . . .

There are excellent solutions that don't require storing waste aboard in any form, are more environmentally friendly than holding tanks or "composters"...and aren't all that high tech...And they've been around for decades: USCG certified Type I MSDs (Type II for boats 66'+)

The most popular and affordable Type Is are the Raritan ElectroScan (current version of the LectraSan) and PuraSan Check 'em out here: Raritan Waste Treatment
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 11:50   #122

We've had ours (Nature's Head) for two years, and it has performed well. This has included living aboard for 8 months during one cruise. We eliminated the faint but always present odor we had with our (expensive!) holding tank system. The composting toilet does not stink - at all. This alone is reason enough to have it, for us. You put toilet paper in it, no problem. You clean the bowl with a paper towel moistened with water and vinegar.

Pee is sterile, not a health risk and easy to get rid of. However, the CG tells me that while it is legal to pee overboard, it's not legal to pee in a bottle and pull it over board (they laughed with me on this, and saw the absurdity of it). So be sensible, and discreet.

The compost, containing recent poops, gets dumped in a toilet in a marine park or ashore. With two of us full time, this had to be done every six weeks. Sure beat looking for pump outs every week or two. If we are not travelling we let it fully compost in a bin at home and out it on the plants.

We gained a huge space when we removed the holding tank. And it felt great getting rid of all those hoses and fittings, and a pump - all of which stank, clearly, when removed. It all stinks. If we are honest we will admit that there are faint odors in almost every boat with a holding tank.

We had great service from this guy, but there are others. Nature's Head homepage
brad torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 14:59   #123

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

I wonder if that could handle a rough morning after a Taco Bell feast the night before.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 15:58   #124

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
There are excellent solutions that don't require storing waste aboard in any form, are more environmentally friendly than holding tanks or "composters"...and aren't all that high tech...And they've been around for decades: USCG certified Type I MSDs (Type II for boats 66'+)
And, are unfortunately illegal in all the "No Discharge Zones" that cover many popular cruising areas, if you pump overboard. So, even though you are treating the waste, you still need the full holding tank/pumpout system, which is always problematic and smells. I know, I know, you've written a book about how to prevent the stink, but most boats I go on have a certain distinctive eau de toilette about them. Composting systems can be much less smelly.
Old 31-10-2012, 23:20   #125

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
This marine compost toilet runs about a grand in round numbers. It does take some installation but less than other more traditional marine heads with holding tanks.

My concern, is if you wish to go simple, go simpler.

Old disgarded toilet, plaster, silicone, bag of disposable diapers, roll of kitchen garbage bags.

This list above is about 60 dollars give or take. Free toilets all day long on Craig's list. On the way home with one, hit a carwash and spray it good. Remove all hardware except the toilet seat.

Mount toilet base where you want it with two lag bolts. ( don't drill through the bottom of your boat) Fill bottom hole of basin with plaster. Let dry. Cover plaster with white waterproof silicone. Let dry. You are left with a toilet bowl, with no hole.

Mount upper tank. Plaster hole shut, and silicone as well. Done with install. That should take an hour or so not counting drying times.

Place kitchen garbage bag inside toilet bowl, place diaper in bag, close toilet lid, do business, lift lid, tie knot in bag, place used bag in upper holding tank. Done.

At the docks, place bags containing diapers, in trash dumpster.

No smell

No installation except four lag bolts and some plaster and silicone

No great expense

Nothing to clean. You can fold the kitchen garbage bags in such a way, the toilet seat is never touched by anyone's bottom.

No pumping

Looks nicer than any marine head

Kiss

If you are a big spender, new toilets are 89 bucks at the big box stores
Old 31-10-2012, 23:42   #126

Boat: prairie32 cutter

Surely you jest GM !!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52   #127

The composting toilet would be great if they just made them nuclear fission powered. That way everything would be turned to ash or steam. Otherwise.... it's just the modern chamberpot!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46   #128

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I ask myself the true meaning of "nature's head" in light of the ridiculous feel good laws that prohibit dumping but allow cities and towns to dump so called processed waste.

My take is that there must be thousands in our local using the real "nature's head" after considering the amount of recreational boats floating around our harbor. And of course there are FREE pump outs provided on Saturday and Sunday mornings excluding holidays by the town. And of course there is only one (1) pump out boat. OH, and you have to call in advance.

But the do -gooders beat their chests and proudly proclaim "Save the Bay" slogans. What a joke!!!!

Implement impossible to comply laws and they will not be obeyed!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 00:47   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGALLANT32
Surely you jest GM !!!!
I would not poo poo you! Lol

What is not to like? Simple, attractive, no maintenance, no clean up, no smells, no install nightmares, no overflows, no high cost to set up, no cost to maintain, less than 25 cents per use, use regular toilet paper.

Have two in my sailboat. One in the head, and a bucket version in the private aft cabin that is hidden under a bunk.

Did not mean to kidnap your thread, you guys go back to composting and don't mind me.
Old 02-11-2012, 15:04   #130
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I would not poo poo you! Lol

What is not to like? Simple, attractive, no maintenance, no clean up, no smells, no install nightmares, no overflows, no high cost to set up, no cost to maintain, less than 25 cents per use, use regular toilet paper.

Have two in my sailboat. One in the head, and a bucket version in the private aft cabin that is hidden under a bunk.

Did not mean to kidnap your thread, you guys go back to composting and don't mind me.
You are basically making your own wag bag. But man Gary, that is one expensive way to take a dump...

Sorta like printers, The machine comes cheap and then you go broke on the ink...

A block of coir in my 450.00 c-head costs me 3 bucks and lasts for weeks.

Hope you are buying those diapers at Costco to get the price down.
: -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 21:17   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
You are basically making your own wag bag. But man Gary, that is one expensive way to take a dump...

Sorta like printers, The machine comes cheap and then you go broke on the ink...

A block of coir in my 450.00 c-head costs me 3 bucks and lasts for weeks.

Hope you are buying those diapers at Costco to get the price down.
: -)
Wag bag is 3 to 4 dollars each. Heavens, my solution is less than 25 cents a use, always using a clean bag, no reusing.

Tags
head