Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 20:03   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Napisan in the holding tank?

I was doing some basic searching to decide which holding tank "conditioner" to buy and found that there are many RV owners who recommend using a homebrand version of Napisan instead of buying toilet conditioner.

Apparently the active ingredient, sodium percarbonate is the same as in most retail toilet conditioners, but far cheaper. Also, it may biodegrade better than the packaged toilet conditioners. The homebrand versions seem to be the preferred choice because they often have higher concentrations of the chemical, no perfumed scents and half the price.

Any comments on how this would work in a saltwater flushed marine system?
Old 06-06-2014, 21:03   #2

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Napisan in the holding tank?

We use it in our caravan and the porta potties on the boat for years It is great stuff does not have chemical smell and helps break down the waste.Also great as a general purpose cleaner .Have a look on the supermarket shelves the generic stuff is always higher % concentrate.
Can't comment on holding tanks as we have a saniloo and they advise no extra chemicals.I cannot see why it would not work as I have been advised some councils use the product to kick start septic systems.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:29   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Probably key is whether the product is designed for a closed (anaerobic, septic) system or a vented (aerobic) system as most installed marine systems are.

Marine holding tanks are vented, partly because they're designed to also be pumped out. Which in turn suggests products designed for an aerobic environment. I dunno whether RV systems are vented.

-Chris
Old 07-06-2014, 16:53   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I dunno whether RV systems are vented.

-Chris

Mine is, huge vent, think it's 1.5' PVC pipe through the roof just like a house, if it weren't vented I think really noxious gases would come back in through the sinks and bathtub etc., pressure would over come the P traps.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank