Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2016, 06:36   #61

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: My 2 Dollar DIY Composting Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The Tampa Bay Times reported today that 151 million gallons a sewage was released in the Tampa Bay area due to the effects of Hermine.
This is one of the reason I would like to see separating toilets installed in houses, even the urban kind. That, and for water preservation.
Poop can be landfilled and urine can be composted into rich fertilizer. All without wasting 3-5 gallons of potable water with every flush.
I know, I know, "it will never happen".
But I think this idea has great merit and modern, western, people simply don't know what they don't know. You all are lucky, I have not been awake long enough for a rant, but I truly believe our current system is deeply flawed. Think about it, we (western society) haven't truly explored waste management since before the Romans. We have made improvements to the old system, but maybe the old system was just a poor idea in the first place.
Old 16-09-2016, 06:42   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

OK here is a great book that explains and answers so many of the questions and dispells some of the myths that are/have been brought up here and in various threads in the past

https://humanurehandbook.com/downloa...ion_manual.pdf
Old 16-09-2016, 07:24   #63

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
This is one of the reason I would like to see separating toilets installed in houses, even the urban kind. That, and for water preservation.
Poop can be landfilled and urine can be composted into rich fertilizer. All without wasting 3-5 gallons of potable water with every flush.
I know, I know, "it will never happen".
But I think this idea has great merit and modern, western, people simply don't know what they don't know. You all are lucky, I have not been awake long enough for a rant, but I truly believe our current system is deeply flawed. Think about it, we (western society) haven't truly explored waste management since before the Romans. We have made improvements to the old system, but maybe the old system was just a poor idea in the first place.
I agree. I'm surprised that progressive California is not pushing this right now considering the historic drought they've been dealing with. I think some kind of incentive similar to solar would be the way to go. The water savings would be massive.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 07:54   #64

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Yipee! 2 responses, no one laughed!
"Water is life, why 'waste' it?"
Anyone want to talk about tp made from virgin trees?
Old 16-09-2016, 08:38   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Yipee! 2 responses, no one laughed!
"Water is life, why 'waste' it?"
Anyone want to talk about tp made from virgin trees?
I did respond to you and everyone with the humanure book link and wasting fresh water is no joke in most places except here in the pnw we get plenty .
Old 10-11-2016, 13:39   #66

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Very Nice Newhaul...
I too built my own. I started with a laundry soap jug and a plastic trash bin as pictured Sedna - Hallberg Rassy 35 : Composting Toilet Part 2 - Pooped again but eventually I settled on a reused garden sprayer tank laying on it's side and a 3 Gal bucket. I bought the cheapest $5 toilet seat they had at home depot. I've settled on Okocat kitty litter because it is cheap, doesn't smell, and I can buy a box just about anywhere. Stir with a large (free) home depot paint stir stick that stores in a plastic bottle. I also keep a plastic laundry jug of kitty litter next to the toilet so users can sprinkle a little over their fresh deposits. Been using it for 2 years.
Old 02-01-2018, 21:42   #67

Boat: 1987 Classic 37

Good work Newhaul. Now that's cheap! Have you been using it yet?
Does the bottom of the wooden box have some sort of waterproofing/fibreglass to keep spills contained? Absorbent material under the buckets just in case the seas get a little too rough? Maybe line the whole thing with a trash bag and then install the buckets?
Dave
Old 02-01-2018, 22:13   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSaunders View Post
Good work Newhaul. Now that's cheap! Have you been using it yet?
Does the bottom of the wooden box have some sort of waterproofing/fibreglass to keep spills contained? Absorbent material under the buckets just in case the seas get a little too rough? Maybe line the whole thing with a trash bag and then install the buckets?
Dave
the liquids bottle is a milk mug and haven't heard of anybody having issues with spillage. You just need to ensure you don't over fill it. The solids bucket well its solids. I would have to experience a complete knockdown to have a spill happen and I'm sure the head would be the least of my worries. ( btw the milk container is the same as in the c head commercial unit.
The wooden enclosure is just to contain the urine container and the solids container . ( also helps hold me up on the seat )
Old 04-01-2018, 18:49   #69

That's the sustainable solution... have you had any issues with legal authorities not approving your solution?
Old 04-01-2018, 19:14   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
That's the sustainable solution... have you had any issues with legal authorities not approving your solution?
no problems at all they seem happy to see no thru hulls .
Old 05-02-2018, 11:34   #71

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 350

This post makes my whole day! The motor on our Jabsco is starting to slow down and I've had it up to here with paying for pumpouts-- so I was just on the nature's head website trying to figure out why in the world one should pay a grand for an attractive box that serves such a simple purpose!

We have good windows and cross-ventilation in the head, so I couldn't see the sense in having a fan equipped. Though I might, when I cop your thrifty head-building style, get fancy with a mushroom valve out the old deck fitting for additional airflow.

So brilliant. I am inspired! Wait till I get home to my old man and tell him how we're spending our weekend.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:39   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
This post makes my whole day! The motor on our Jabsco is starting to slow down and I've had it up to here with paying for pumpouts-- so I was just on the nature's head website trying to figure out why in the world one should pay a grand for an attractive box that serves such a simple purpose!

We have good windows and cross-ventilation in the head, so I couldn't see the sense in having a fan equipped. Though I might, when I cop your thrifty head-building style, get fancy with a mushroom valve out the old deck fitting for additional airflow.

So brilliant. I am inspired! Wait till I get home to my old man and tell him how we're spending our weekend.
hey glad to be of help and inspiration.
If you need any assist or pointers just send me a pm .
Old 05-02-2018, 13:35   #73

Quote:

Andromeda, There are a few threads on CF discussing DIY head projects... mine is quite similar to Newhaul's and I just realized I've been using it for over 3 years. Since I wrote my blog post https://sednahr35.blogspot.com/2014/...ped-again.html, I added a solar fan deck vent and settled on a compost bucket material of 1/2 wood fiber kitty litter and 1/2 coconut coir. Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:50   #74

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Andromeda, There are a few threads on CF discussing DIY head projects... mine is quite similar to Newhaul's and I just realized I've been using it for over 3 years. Since I wrote my blog post https://sednahr35.blogspot.com/2014/...ped-again.html, I added a solar fan deck vent and settled on a compost bucket material of 1/2 wood fiber kitty litter and 1/2 coconut coir. Good Luck.
Thanks to you both!

This is a great blog, your interior is looking super. I have a perfect little corner beside the shower for a box-style compost head like you do, so this is very similar to what I plan to do. Fortunately the floor is flush (pun intended) and there aren't any tricky corners.

Could you post the link to your head removal process? I've got a builder buddy willing to help me make "the box" this weekend, but the scary part is ripping out the old system! Also, any hope of selling off the parts? It's quite clean (because we've had to work on it so much and stopped using it for solids quite a while ago) -- is selling a used head and holding tank kosher in the marine community?

Thanks again! I will make sure to photograph the adventure.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 14:47   #75

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Thanks to you both!

This is a great blog, your interior is looking super. I have a perfect little corner beside the shower for a box-style compost head like you do, so this is very similar to what I plan to do. Fortunately the floor is flush (pun intended) and there aren't any tricky corners.

Could you post the link to your head removal process? I've got a builder buddy willing to help me make "the box" this weekend, but the scary part is ripping out the old system! Also, any hope of selling off the parts? It's quite clean (because we've had to work on it so much and stopped using it for solids quite a while ago) -- is selling a used head and holding tank kosher in the marine community?

Thanks again! I will make sure to photograph the adventure.
Craigslist and EBay both have sections for used boat parts. Sure, people will buy a clean used head, along with the problems they present.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting