Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 12:29   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Multiple propane devices, multiple solenoids?

Hi I am installing a instant hot water heater from precision temp. It is a Marine unit designed for marine use and a ABYC compliant. It cost a fortune. Propane in external vapor proof locker with overboard drains.

My question is: I have a propane stove, I have a force 10 fireplace, each has its own solenoid shut off switch with an indicator light. Should the new hot water heater also have a shut off switch with an indicator light? Theory being if there was just one switch when the switch was open all three propane lines would be charged. As it stands now, Before I shut off my stove I shut off the switch at the stove and empty the charged line. I do the same for the fireplace. Confused if this logic applies to the Percision temp instant hot water heater. Should I have three separate solenoids and switch panels?
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Multiple propane devices, multiple solenoids?

Please tell what model of heater you are talking about. I am ABYC certified and have never seen a Precision Temp unit that ABYC requirements. They do mention in their manual that it should be installed as per ABYC but provides no means of providing outside combustion air as required by those standards.
Old 31-03-2017, 06:43   #3

Precision Temp Showermate 55. Have read and understand the read, have used non marine water heaters in the past, but wanted the extra measure of confidence so I dropped significant $ for this unit. ABYC aside, what about my well reasoned question? One solenoid per device or one for all?
Old 31-03-2017, 07:09   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

One solenoid for all. I also put a manual 90 degree valve for each appliance inside the locker, after the solenoid.
Old 31-03-2017, 07:11   #5

I would err on the side of caution and follow the model already implemented, and use a dedicated solenoid per device.

The specifications do mention 'power vented', but the diagram doesn't show venting.

"Install to ABYC standards" sounds more like a generic recommendation than a statement that the device is ABYC compliant.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 07:20   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
One solenoid for all. I also put a manual 90 degree valve for each appliance inside the locker, after the solenoid.
I don't think that's a good idea. All the lines would be pressurized when only one is being used. Each device should have its own solenoid and gas tubing to the device.
Old 31-03-2017, 08:21   #7

Boat: J/42

Check the flow requirements for these devices. Many installations require a separate regulator for each device.

My preference is ONE solenoid after the tank valve, then a regulator for each device. Every propane system failure that I've ever seen was caused by a faulty regulator. If the solenoid is after the regulator, it won't do any good. However, the solenoids that come in common kits may not be rated for the high-pressure side of the circuit, so it may take some careful shopping.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:14   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Hi I am installing a instant hot water heater .......................
Why would you need to heat hot water ?
Old 31-03-2017, 09:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I would err on the side of caution and follow the model already implemented, and use a dedicated solenoid per device.

The specifications do mention 'power vented', but the diagram doesn't show venting.

"Install to ABYC standards" sounds more like a generic recommendation than a statement that the device is ABYC compliant.

It is power vented through 2 inch exhaust port that is run through stainless pipe.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Why would you need to heat hot water ?

having recently become single I had to move back aboard the boat on short notice. Come to think of it maybe cold showers are a good idea
Old 31-03-2017, 09:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I think the point is that you need a water heater, not a hot water heater. If you had hot water you wouldn't need to heat it!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:32   #12

Boat: 1967 Mariner 40

Scott, it's comments like yours that make me love this forum!! Larry.
Larry T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:53   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
Hi I am installing a instant hot water heater from precision temp. It is a Marine unit designed for marine use and a ABYC compliant. It cost a fortune. Propane in external vapor proof locker with overboard drains.

My question is: I have a propane stove, I have a force 10 fireplace, each has its own solenoid shut off switch with an indicator light. Should the new hot water heater also have a shut off switch with an indicator light? Theory being if there was just one switch when the switch was open all three propane lines would be charged. As it stands now, Before I shut off my stove I shut off the switch at the stove and empty the charged line. I do the same for the fireplace. Confused if this logic applies to the Percision temp instant hot water heater. Should I have three separate solenoids and switch panels?
No need for multiple solenoids. All lines are connected to the regulator. The pressure is distributed throughout all lines. When the solenoid is closed, with the appliance left operating, all lines are drained because they are all connected.

By adding solenoids and valves, now you introduce the possibility of leaving lines pressurized unintentionally.

Just remember to close all appliance valves, after the gas has run-out, else the next time the solenoid is opened, the gas at that appliance may be on.

Note that to be compliant, all solenoids, valves, and regulators must be in the over-board vented propane locker. You cannot have a connection in the boat, except at the appliance.

To the best of my knowledge the ShowerMate 55 is not ABYC compliant. I could print in 1/4-20 hex nut instruction, "Install in compliance with ABYC standards."
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 13:41   #14

Boat: Caliber 47

Why make this so complicated....one solenoid and one regulator with flow capacity high enough to supply all 3 devices at maximum consumption!

Add the BTU's consumed and buy appropriate regulator!

Greg
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 20:27   #15

Sorry it's called showermate 550M designed for marine install. If properly installed and vented and the fuel is properly supplied it seems to meet all the reqs.
This is the thread drift that I was trying to avoid, but I also got my question answered: only one solenoid required. Possible need to resize the regulator was a surprise but good to know-thanks to everyone I'll be able to shower aboard soon-thank you!

Tags
propane